Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: ISP Cancel Now what?

Re: ISP Cancel Now what?

Whiskers

On 2010-10-26, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My ISP is no longer providing DSL in may area
> effective the end of next month.
>
> No big deal I thought. I have an AT&T land line, I'll just sign up for
> AT&T DSL.
>
> Went to sign up on-line but it's impossible to do if you presently have
> DSL. Of course if I didn't have DSL I'd not be able to sign up on-line.
>
> Sheesh
>
> So I called them and after a half hour or so of asking questions...
> the bottom line is that I *cannot* sign up for AT&T DSL if I currently
> have a DSL provider. I'll have to let it lapse then sign up.
>
> They could not tell me how long I'd have to wait to get new service...
> they said it might be four days or so.
>

> Aargh!!!!

Here in the UK there is a system for ISPs to liaise with each other when
people want to change; it involves the existing provider issuing a
"Migration Authorisation Code" (MAC) which the user then gives to the new
ISP. Then,

On the day the migration happens, which is usually within 5 to 10 days
of when you gave your new provider the MAC you may notice your
broadband stop working for a short period, and then your existing login
will not work. At this point alter the username and password used by
your broadband hardware to the one supplied by your new provider.

<http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/migration.html#243>. Seems to
work pretty well usually.

If an ISP is shutting down, they should issue MACs automatically to all
their users, of course.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

philo

>> Sheesh
>>
>> So I called them and after a half hour or so of asking questions...
>> the bottom line is that I *cannot* sign up for AT&T DSL if I currently
>> have a DSL provider. I'll have to let it lapse then sign up.
>>
>> They could not tell me how long I'd have to wait to get new service...
>> they said it might be four days or so.
>>

>> Aargh!!!!

> Here in the UK there is a system for ISPs to liaise with each other when
> people want to change; it involves the existing provider issuing a
> "Migration Authorisation Code" (MAC) which the user then gives to the new
> ISP. Then,
>
> On the day the migration happens, which is usually within 5 to 10 days
> of when you gave your new provider the MAC you may notice your
> broadband stop working for a short period, and then your existing login
> will not work. At this point alter the username and password used by
> your broadband hardware to the one supplied by your new provider.

The real kicker is...
my present ISP is merely a sub-provider...so I'm actually using AT&T anyway

Desk Rabbit

On 26/10/2010 23:54, Whiskers wrote:
> On 2010-10-26, philo<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> My ISP is no longer providing DSL in may area
>> effective the end of next month.
>>
>> No big deal I thought. I have an AT&T land line, I'll just sign up for
>> AT&T DSL.
>>
>> Went to sign up on-line but it's impossible to do if you presently have
>> DSL. Of course if I didn't have DSL I'd not be able to sign up on-line.
>>
>> Sheesh
>>
>> So I called them and after a half hour or so of asking questions...
>> the bottom line is that I *cannot* sign up for AT&T DSL if I currently
>> have a DSL provider. I'll have to let it lapse then sign up.
>>
>> They could not tell me how long I'd have to wait to get new service...
>> they said it might be four days or so.
>>

>> Aargh!!!!

> Here in the UK there is a system for ISPs to liaise with each other when
> people want to change; it involves the existing provider issuing a
> "Migration Authorisation Code" (MAC) which the user then gives to the new
> ISP. Then,
>
> On the day the migration happens, which is usually within 5 to 10 days
> of when you gave your new provider the MAC you may notice your
> broadband stop working for a short period, and then your existing login
> will not work. At this point alter the username and password used by
> your broadband hardware to the one supplied by your new provider.
>
> <http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/migration.html#243>. Seems to
> work pretty well usually.
>
> If an ISP is shutting down, they should issue MACs automatically to all
> their users, of course.

I suspect the big difference is that all of the UK exchanges (Apart from
Hull) are owned and managed by BT and most ISPs buy broadband through BT
wholesale (LLU excluded). Migration is just a case of switching the
trunk as the consumer connection equipment remains the same.

In the USA the situation is clouded I'm guessing by there being more
than one large telecoms provider. With LLU we are of course heading into
the same fragmented services nightmare that will cause no end of hassle
for the poor end user.