Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cell phone back in 1928

Cell phone back in 1928

William Brown

Some guy found footage from a 1928 Charlie Chaplin movie that shows some
lady using what he believes is a cell phone in the background on set.
Skip ahead to the 2:40 mark to see the time traveling lady with the cell
phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6a4T2tJaSU

Apteryx

On 26/10/2010 10:54 p.m., William Brown wrote:

> Some guy found footage from a 1928 Charlie Chaplin movie that shows some
> lady using what he believes is a cell phone in the background on set.
> Skip ahead to the 2:40 mark to see the time traveling lady with the cell
> phone.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6a4T2tJaSU

Weird. I have that DVD and I can confirm the woman with the "cell phone"
is on it. It is not the set of the actual Charlie Chaplin movie though.
It is a DVD extra with footage from the street in front of the theatre
showing the premiere of his 1928 movie, The Circus.

Best theories I have seen in the comments on You Tube is that it is a
contemporary hearing aid she is testing by speaking into the microphone,
or a crazy person walking along the street talking into a contemporary
telephone receiver (I would add that she - if it is a a she - doesn't
need to crazy. It could be someone with a whimsical sense of humour who
turned up at a place where they knew there would be movie cameras in
order to be filmed doing something weird. It is the premiere of a
Charlie Chaplin film after all).

Apteryx

Gib Bogle

On 26/10/2010 10:54 p.m., William Brown wrote:

> Some guy found footage from a 1928 Charlie Chaplin movie that shows some
> lady using what he believes is a cell phone in the background on set.
> Skip ahead to the 2:40 mark to see the time traveling lady with the cell
> phone.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6a4T2tJaSU

It isn't a cell phone, whatever he believes. Has he also seen UFOs?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <ia6clu$926$(E-Mail Removed)>, Apteryx wrote:

> Best theories I have seen in the comments on You Tube is that it is a
> contemporary hearing aid she is testing by speaking into the microphone

Or somebody with a toothache holding a poultice to the side of her head.