Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Copying files with Windows 7

Reply
Thread Tools

Copying files with Windows 7

 
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 01:36:27 -0700, Squiggle wrote:

>> Why on earth are you using NTFS when you have several better file
>> systems available to you!?

>
> Because NTFS is the best option for me by a very long shot. ext2/3, xfs
> or any of those other oddball filesystems would be nothing but a pain in
> the ass for me.


Why EXT3 is the default file system for Linux systems.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On Oct 29, 10:46*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 01:36:27 -0700, Squiggle wrote:
> >> Why on earth are you using NTFS when you have several better file
> >> systems available to you!?

>
> > Because NTFS is the best option for me by a very long shot. *ext2/3, xfs
> > or any of those other oddball filesystems would be nothing but a pain in
> > the ass for me.

>
> Why EXT3 is the default file system for Linux systems.
>


There is a lot more to life than linux.. I spend approx 3/5ths of SFA
time in linux, still too much software available for windows that
doesn't have suitable alternatives. And lots of annoying **** that
needs configuring with linux installs. Like the 1 pixel wide window
border zone for resizing windows in the latest incarnation of Ubuntu,
with a mouse set to a high response and a relatively high screen
resolution clicking on the exact 1 pixel zone to resize a window is
not something that can be done with speed and confidence. I know it
can be changed somewhere, but hunting round thru the several hundred
config files in linux is no better than hunting thru the registry in
windows. Linux is still a long way from being a good desktop OS for
Joe Average.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 03:14:30 -0700, Squiggle wrote:

> And lots of annoying **** that needs
> configuring with linux installs. Like the 1 pixel wide window border
> zone for resizing windows in the latest incarnation of Ubuntu, with a
> mouse set to a high response and a relatively high screen resolution
> clicking on the exact 1 pixel zone to resize a window is not something
> that can be done with speed and confidence. I know it can be changed
> somewhere, but hunting round thru the several hundred config files in
> linux is no better than hunting thru the registry in windows.


I suggest you try looking at the GUI mouse config tool. Or at the display
settings GUI where you can alter bits and pieces of the windows.

Don't blame "linux" for your personal display settings on Ubuntu. If you
have to bitch about it go to the people who put together Ubuntu!


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle
wrote:

> Linux is still a long way from being a good desktop OS for Joe Average.


Funny how the people who keep saying that would never describe themselves as
“Joe Average” ...
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On Oct 29, 11:14*pm, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Linux is still a long way from being a good desktop OS for
> Joe Average.


Windows is worse, because Joe might:
- be facilitating distribution of kiddie porn,
- be contributing to extortion,
- and get all his money stolen.

Not to mention paying money for the privilege.

Regards, John
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2010
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 11:52:16 +1300, Bret wrote:

>> What is new about Microsoft's NTFS?

>
> The information you don't want to know


I won't ever need to support NTFS unless I have to support a *nix server
that uses NTFS. And why on earth would a *nix server use NTFS?


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2010
On 28/10/2010 6:46 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message<iaaqmi$ek1$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
>
>> On 28/10/2010 1:37 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> In message<ia8uin$onb$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
>>>
>>>> ... but I am not reformatting a drive to test that.
>>>
>>> Easy enough to do, isn’t it? Create a temporary holding file of whatever
>>> size you like, and mount it as a loopback disk. Now you can format it to
>>> your heart’s content, put files on it, take them off, whatever. And when
>>> you’ve finished, dismount the volume and delete the file.

>>
>> Its called a VHD in windows, and its still effort.

>
> I’m not surprised you think it’s too much effort: VHD is a format designed
> for use by virtual machines, which is way overkill for what I was talking
> about.
>
> No, I was talking about a file which is just a simple collection of sectors,
> just like a disk, and which Linux allows you to format and mount as a
> filesystem volume, just like a disk. Just takes four commands:
>
> * Use dd to create the file. It’s common to fill it with zeroes, but this is
> not necessary.
> * Use losetup to associate the file with a loopback device.
> * Use mkfs to format the loopback device with your choice of filesystem
> * Mount the filesystem for use.


How is that any different from what a VHD is?

Anyway, the process in windows is open device manager, click disk
management, in one of the menus choose create VHD, give it the location
and size, and then choose how to format it when the disc is added and
comes up for initilization. Not a lot of work but more than I could be
bothered doing right now.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2010
On 29/10/2010 8:50 p.m., Sweetpea wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:08:15 +1300, victor wrote:
>
>>> The last I read about it was that it was available on an experimental
>>> basis and that one shouldn't expect to be able to write files to it.
>>>
>>>

>> You need updating then
>>
>> http://www.tuxera.com/

>
> I'll never be using it on a Linux system so why should I "update" myself
> with something I'll never use?


So you stop spouting crap about something you know nothing about?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2010
On 30/10/2010 1:31 p.m., Sweetpea wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 11:52:16 +1300, Bret wrote:
>
>>> What is new about Microsoft's NTFS?

>>
>> The information you don't want to know

>
> I won't ever need to support NTFS unless I have to support a *nix server
> that uses NTFS. And why on earth would a *nix server use NTFS?


So it can read data supplied by customers on a NTFS formatted drive?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2010
On 29/10/2010 10:46 p.m., Sweetpea wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 01:36:27 -0700, Squiggle wrote:
>
>>> Why on earth are you using NTFS when you have several better file
>>> systems available to you!?

>>
>> Because NTFS is the best option for me by a very long shot. ext2/3, xfs
>> or any of those other oddball filesystems would be nothing but a pain in
>> the ass for me.

>
> Why EXT3 is the default file system for Linux systems.


Because it is an open format so supports the ideology of most linux
developers.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
duplex mode on Windows 7 - problem with copying files into USB hard disc Netman Computer Information 1 02-14-2011 03:59 AM
Copying files to Vista Program Files in ruby script Shawn Mcclain Ruby 0 09-28-2007 09:21 PM
Copying Files from Windows to Linux Server throug VC++ Program SagharAyyaz C++ 1 05-09-2006 09:24 AM
Copying files from Window 32 bit to Windows 64 bit Paul D. Olsen Windows 64bit 0 12-29-2005 07:50 PM
XCOPY is not copying ascx files while it copies .dll files c.verma@gmail.com ASP .Net 0 01-14-2005 07:29 PM



Advertisments