Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Copying files with Windows 7

Reply
Thread Tools

Copying files with Windows 7

 
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On Oct 29, 9:25*am, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 11:25:08 -0700, Squiggle wrote:
> > FAT32 is the only one that Linux can write that is solidly readable and
> > writable by all modern operating systems.

>
> > This is a limitation of Linux.

>
> No, because the OSes causing this limitation are MS Windows.


The MS Windows OS prevents Linux from reading and writing NTFS?

How exactly?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On 29/10/2010 9:25 a.m., Sweetpea wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 11:25:08 -0700, Squiggle wrote:
>
>> FAT32 is the only one that Linux can write that is solidly readable and
>> writable by all modern operating systems.
>>
>> This is a limitation of Linux.

>
> No, because the OSes causing this limitation are MS Windows and MS
> WindowsNT.
>


Not a limitation of the OS, all the file systems are at the IFS layer

http://www.ext2fsd.com/
http://www.fs-driver.org/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:13:57 -0700, Squiggle wrote:

> The MS Windows OS prevents Linux from reading and writing NTFS?


Are you thick or what?

MS Windows can't "stop" Linux from doing anything.

The Linux implementation of NTFS is a clean-room re-implementation of
something that Microsoft doesn't want freely available on any system
other than MS WindowsNT.

The last I read about it was that it was available on an experimental
basis and that one shouldn't expect to be able to write files to it.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On 29/10/2010 5:56 p.m., Sweetpea wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:13:57 -0700, Squiggle wrote:
>
>> The MS Windows OS prevents Linux from reading and writing NTFS?

>
> Are you thick or what?
>
> MS Windows can't "stop" Linux from doing anything.
>
> The Linux implementation of NTFS is a clean-room re-implementation of
> something that Microsoft doesn't want freely available on any system
> other than MS WindowsNT.
>
> The last I read about it was that it was available on an experimental
> basis and that one shouldn't expect to be able to write files to it.
>
>

You need updating then

http://www.tuxera.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On Oct 29, 5:56*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:13:57 -0700, Squiggle wrote:
> > The MS Windows OS prevents Linux from reading and writing NTFS?

>
> Are you thick or what?
>
> MS Windows can't "stop" Linux from doing anything.


So the fact (that you think) linux can't do it is entirely Linux's own
limitation.

> The Linux implementation of NTFS is a clean-room re-implementation of
> something that Microsoft doesn't want freely available on any system
> other than MS WindowsNT.
>
> The last I read about it was that it was available on an experimental
> basis and that one shouldn't expect to be able to write files to it.
>


Well personally, I've been reading and writing to NTFS partitions for
at least two years on Linux, and had no problems. Admittedly not on a
heavy I/O basis.
And I'm reasonably sure reading and writing to NTFS partitions has
been available in default ubuntu desktop installs since at least 9.04.

Oh, and grow up, it is MS Windows, NT was a product name dropped back
in 2000.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:57:41 -0700, Squiggle wrote:

> On Oct 29, 5:56*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:13:57 -0700, Squiggle wrote:
>> > The MS Windows OS prevents Linux from reading and writing NTFS?

>>
>> Are you thick or what?
>>
>> MS Windows can't "stop" Linux from doing anything.

>
> So the fact (that you think) linux can't do it is entirely Linux's own
> limitation.


What are you smoking?


>> The Linux implementation of NTFS is a clean-room re-implementation of
>> something that Microsoft doesn't want freely available on any system
>> other than MS WindowsNT.
>>
>> The last I read about it was that it was available on an experimental
>> basis and that one shouldn't expect to be able to write files to it.
>>
>>

> Well personally, I've been reading and writing to NTFS partitions for at
> least two years on Linux, and had no problems. Admittedly not on a heavy
> I/O basis.


Why on earth are you using NTFS when you have several better file systems
available to you!?


> And I'm reasonably sure reading and writing to NTFS partitions has been
> available in default ubuntu desktop installs since at least 9.04.
>
> Oh, and grow up, it is MS Windows, NT was a product name dropped back in
> 2000.


Not true. It still self identifies as WinNT. A turd by any other name is
still a turd.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:08:15 +1300, victor wrote:

>> The last I read about it was that it was available on an experimental
>> basis and that one shouldn't expect to be able to write files to it.
>>
>>

> You need updating then
>
> http://www.tuxera.com/


I'll never be using it on a Linux system so why should I "update" myself
with something I'll never use?


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On Oct 29, 8:48*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why on earth are you using NTFS when you have several better file systems
> available to you!?


Because NTFS is the best option for me by a very long shot. ext2/3,
xfs or any of those other oddball filesystems would be nothing but a
pain in the ass for me.
 
Reply With Quote
 
victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On 29/10/2010 8:50 p.m., Sweetpea wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:08:15 +1300, victor wrote:
>
>>> The last I read about it was that it was available on an experimental
>>> basis and that one shouldn't expect to be able to write files to it.
>>>
>>>

>> You need updating then
>>
>> http://www.tuxera.com/

>
> I'll never be using it on a Linux system so why should I "update" myself
> with something I'll never use?
>
>

So you don't make such a fool of yourself
"The last you read" must be about 2006

http://www.ntfs-3g.com/distributions.html

"Besides the primary availability sources, there are additionally over
240 Linux and FreeBSD distributions which either use by default, include
or have easy-to-install, binary NTFS-3G packages available for their
users:"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2010
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:13:43 +1300, Bret wrote:

> Helps to create the impression you know what you are talking about.
> Shows an open minded attitude to new information.


What is new about Microsoft's NTFS?


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
duplex mode on Windows 7 - problem with copying files into USB hard disc Netman Computer Information 1 02-14-2011 03:59 AM
Copying files to Vista Program Files in ruby script Shawn Mcclain Ruby 0 09-28-2007 09:21 PM
Copying Files from Windows to Linux Server throug VC++ Program SagharAyyaz C++ 1 05-09-2006 09:24 AM
Copying files from Window 32 bit to Windows 64 bit Paul D. Olsen Windows 64bit 0 12-29-2005 07:50 PM
XCOPY is not copying ascx files while it copies .dll files c.verma@gmail.com ASP .Net 0 01-14-2005 07:29 PM



Advertisments