Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NOAA report card: epic fail for humans

NOAA report card: epic fail for humans

hwf

We're all gonna die, yippie. Oh, and we're heating up the planet and
melting the north pole also:

New observations this year about snow, ice and temperatures support the
conclusion that the Arctic is unlikely to return to the conditions known
in the 20th century and that's likely to affect the weather in the
lower 48 United States.

That was this year's key message in the annual update of the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Arctic report card, released
Thursday. The key points, a video and links to scientific reports by 69
scientists from eight countries are available from NOAA online.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...eportcard.html

OldGringo38

On 10/23/2010 9:48 AM Just to please that super-ego, hwf wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> We're all gonna die, yippie. Oh, and we're heating up the planet and
> melting the north pole also:
>
> New observations this year about snow, ice and temperatures support the
> conclusion that the Arctic is unlikely to return to the conditions known
> in the 20th century and that's likely to affect the weather in the
> lower 48 United States.
>
> That was this year's key message in the annual update of the National
> Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Arctic report card, released
> Thursday. The key points, a video and links to scientific reports by 69
> scientists from eight countries are available from NOAA online.
>
> http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...eportcard.html

I hope that there is Internet Service in Hell so you can still post here
when it's all over with.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

Meat Plow

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 08:48:41 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

> We're all gonna die, yippie. Oh, and we're heating up the planet and
> melting the north pole also:

Teh Sky is Falling!

chuckcar

OldGringo38 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i9ut4g$5r4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> On 10/23/2010 9:48 AM Just to please that super-ego, hwf wrote
> the following tidbit of information:
>> We're all gonna die, yippie. Oh, and we're heating up the planet and
>> melting the north pole also:
>>
>> New observations this year about snow, ice and temperatures support
>> the conclusion that the Arctic is unlikely to return to the
>> conditions known in the 20th century and that's likely to affect
>> the weather in the lower 48 United States.
>>
>> That was this year's key message in the annual update of the National
>> Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Arctic report card, released
>> Thursday. The key points, a video and links to scientific reports by
>> 69 scientists from eight countries are available from NOAA online.
>>
>> http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...reportcard.htm
>>

> I hope that there is Internet Service in Hell so you can still post
> here when it's all over with.

The fact of the matter is that the north pole ice is at the lowest point
that it has ever been in recorded history. Hell just this last month
some idiot in a Kodiak boat crossed the north west passage. Something
that 30 years ago was impossible most years in *any* boat. Even
icebreakers.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

NormanM

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 08:48:41 -0600, hwf wrote:

> We're all gonna die, yippie. Oh, and we're heating up the planet and
> melting the north pole also:

<http://open.salon.com/blog/suresh_emre/2010/08/08/rapid_climate_change_115_thousand_years_ago>

Some seem to think that, despite all the global warming now going on, there
is still the possibility of another "Ice Age".

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

OldGringo38

On 10/23/2010 1:40 PM Just to please that super-ego, chuckcar wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> OldGringo38<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:i9ut4g$5r4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
>> On 10/23/2010 9:48 AM Just to please that super-ego, hwf wrote
>> the following tidbit of information:
>>> We're all gonna die, yippie. Oh, and we're heating up the planet and
>>> melting the north pole also:
>>>
>>> New observations this year about snow, ice and temperatures support
>>> the conclusion that the Arctic is unlikely to return to the
>>> conditions known in the 20th century and that's likely to affect
>>> the weather in the lower 48 United States.
>>>
>>> That was this year's key message in the annual update of the National
>>> Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Arctic report card, released
>>> Thursday. The key points, a video and links to scientific reports by
>>> 69 scientists from eight countries are available from NOAA online.
>>>
>>> http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...reportcard.htm
>>>

>> I hope that there is Internet Service in Hell so you can still post
>> here when it's all over with.
>>

> The fact of the matter is that the north pole ice is at the lowest point
> that it has ever been in recorded history. Hell just this last month
> some idiot in a Kodiak boat crossed the north west passage. Something
> that 30 years ago was impossible most years in *any* boat. Even
> icebreakers.

That Ice has been melting for the past 20,000 some years, and like any
other ice the smaller it gets the faster it melts. <g>

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
Support Bacteria: They Are The Only Culture Some People Have

Whiskers

On 2010-10-23, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OldGringo38 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:i9ut4g$5r4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
>> On 10/23/2010 9:48 AM Just to please that super-ego, §ñühw¤£f wrote
>> the following tidbit of information:
>>> We're all gonna die, yippie. Oh, and we're heating up the planet and
>>> melting the north pole also:
>>>
>>> New observations this year about snow, ice and temperatures support
>>> the conclusion that the Arctic is unlikely to return to the
>>> conditions known in the 20th century — and that's likely to affect
>>> the weather in the lower 48 United States.
>>>
>>> That was this year's key message in the annual update of the National
>>> Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Arctic report card, released
>>> Thursday. The key points, a video and links to scientific reports by
>>> 69 scientists from eight countries are available from NOAA online.
>>>
>>> http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...reportcard.htm
>>>

>> I hope that there is Internet Service in Hell so you can still post
>> here when it's all over with.
>>

> The fact of the matter is that the north pole ice is at the lowest point
> that it has ever been in recorded history.

'Recorded history' in this instance going all the way back to the first
satellite photos of the region in 1978. That's just a blink of an eye in
terms of 'climate change'.

As it happens, within that tiny record, 2007 was the year with least
summer ice in the Arctic.

<http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/>

> Hell just this last month
> some idiot in a Kodiak boat crossed the north west passage. Something
> that 30 years ago was impossible most years in *any* boat. Even
> icebreakers.

The first reliably recorded successful trip through the 'North West
Passage' was Amundsen's in 1906.

<http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/features/northwpass/franklin.html>

But the Vikings (of course!) probably found their way from the east to
Ellesmere Island at the northern end of Baffin Bay. Wikipedia says that
Juan de Fuca claimed to have sailed from the Pacific to the Atlantic and
back in 1592, and Bartholomew de Fonte claimed to have sailed from the
Atlantic to the Pacific in 1640. If those claims are true, then an open
North West Passage isn't such a new thing.

An RCMP schooner made the passage from Pacific to Atlantic in 1940, after
over-wintering and taking a total of 28 months; in 1944 the return trip
took only 86 days. The journey has become almost commonplace since then.

<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/w/index.php?title=Northwest_Passage&oldid=392419913>

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Ferd Berfle

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2010-10-23, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> OldGringo38 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:i9ut4g$5r4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>>
>>> On 10/23/2010 9:48 AM Just to please that super-ego, hwf wrote
>>> the following tidbit of information:

>>> I hope that there is Internet Service in Hell so you can still post
>>> here when it's all over with.
>>>

>> The fact of the matter is that the north pole ice is at the lowest point
>> that it has ever been in recorded history.

> 'Recorded history' in this instance going all the way back to the first
> satellite photos of the region in 1978. That's just a blink of an eye in
> terms of 'climate change'.
>
> As it happens, within that tiny record, 2007 was the year with least
> summer ice in the Arctic.
>
> <http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/>

Hey stop trying to bring reality into the thread!
http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

chuckcar

OldGringo38 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i9vbtg$spk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> On 10/23/2010 1:40 PM Just to please that super-ego, chuckcar wrote
> the following tidbit of information:
>> OldGringo38<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:i9ut4g$5r4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>>

>> The fact of the matter is that the north pole ice is at the lowest
>> point that it has ever been in recorded history. Hell just this last
>> month some idiot in a Kodiak boat crossed the north west passage.
>> Something that 30 years ago was impossible most years in *any* boat.
>> Even icebreakers.
>>

> That Ice has been melting for the past 20,000 some years, and like any
> other ice the smaller it gets the faster it melts. <g>

Well, if you're going to talk about ice ages, and time spans along those
lines, watch the film by the man who used to be the last president of
the US. He explains it perfectly right at the beginning. You don't even
have to watch the whole thing.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 2010-10-23, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> OldGringo38 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:i9ut4g$5r4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>>

>>> I hope that there is Internet Service in Hell so you can still post
>>> here when it's all over with.
>>>

>> The fact of the matter is that the north pole ice is at the lowest
>> point that it has ever been in recorded history.

> 'Recorded history' in this instance going all the way back to the
> first satellite photos of the region in 1978. That's just a blink of
> an eye in terms of 'climate change'.

No, it goes back to the Franklin Expedition and the repeated attempts to
find it, And as for satellite pictures of the north, 1978 is off by at
least 10 years.

> As it happens, within that tiny record, 2007 was the year with least
> summer ice in the Arctic.
>
> <http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/>
>
>> Hell just this last month
>> some idiot in a Kodiak boat crossed the north west passage. Something
>> that 30 years ago was impossible most years in *any* boat. Even
>> icebreakers.

> The first reliably recorded successful trip through the 'North West
> Passage' was Amundsen's in 1906.
>
> <http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/features/northwpass/franklin.html>

I never said it was impossible, just extremely dangerous. Until this
decade.

> But the Vikings (of course!) probably found their way from the east to
> Ellesmere Island at the northern end of Baffin Bay. Wikipedia says
> that Juan de Fuca claimed to have sailed from the Pacific to the
> Atlantic and back in 1592, and Bartholomew de Fonte claimed to have
> sailed from the Atlantic to the Pacific in 1640. If those claims are
> true, then an open North West Passage isn't such a new thing.

Yeah, right. Wooden boats that would be cut to pieces by the ice. Not
a chance. Even Franklin had his steel clad.

> An RCMP schooner made the passage from Pacific to Atlantic in 1940,
> after over-wintering and taking a total of 28 months; in 1944 the
> return trip took only 86 days. The journey has become almost
> commonplace since then.

It certainly has *not*. It's like trying to cross Greenland in the dead
of winter by foot. Pure ice. The easiest route involved going through a
"river" of ice coming straight from the pole. That's what got Franklin. The
part from north of Sask. to Alaska is the easy part.

Look at this map.

http://tinyurl.com/2ut88zq

See that island right in the center that looks sort of like an upside down
arrow head? That's the trouble point. If you go north of it, you would run
into pack ice - that is a solid impassible sheet. If you go down the east
side you run into the ice flowing from the pole as you reach the 6:00 point
or later coming from underneath. There *is* no more southerly route short
of going by land, that land to the east of that island is one big penninsula.
If you want to know more, Look up Pierre Burton. Now deceased, but a very good
history writer. The only complaints historians have about him is that he
makes it interesting.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )