Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > LDO admits that linux will never make it as a desktop OS

LDO admits that linux will never make it as a desktop OS

Squiggle

On 22/10/2010 10:24 a.m., JohnO threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> On Oct 22, 10:02 am, misanthropic_curmudgeon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Oct 21, 8:47 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>>
>> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>> Holding a “Strongest Man” competition is like holding a “Cleverest Goldfish”
>>> competition. Humans are not strong; even a chimpanzee is ten times as strong
>>> as a man.

>>> There is apparently a mutation in a muscle-development gene that we picked
>>> up somewhere along the line after diverging from the other apes, that
>>> severely weakened our muscles. The individuals with the mutation didn’t go
>>> extinct, because they had other traits to more than make up for it—their
>>> brains.

>> I'm guessing here, that you are a pencil-neck?

> It's a fair bet, but can't tell - the beard is in the way!
> http://www.geek-central.gen.nz/

"Today, it is clear that, while Linux has a definite role in the
Internet server market, it is never going to succeed in establishing
itself as a desktop operating system. "

http://www.geek-central.gen.nz/peeve...nces_laws.html
Last sentence of first paragraph of "The Laws in the Present—Linux"

peterwn

On Oct 22, 10:58*pm, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 22/10/2010 10:24 a.m., JohnO threw some characters down the intarwebs:
>

> > On Oct 22, 10:02 am, misanthropic_curmudgeon
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I'm guessing here, that you are a pencil-neck? * * * * *

> > It's a fair bet, but can't tell - the beard is in the way!
> >http://www.geek-central.gen.nz/

> "Today, it is clear that, while Linux has a definite role in the
> Internet server market, it is never going to succeed in establishing
> itself as a desktop operating system. "
>
> http://www.geek-central.gen.nz/peeve...nces_laws.html
> Last sentence of first paragraph of "The Laws in the Present—Linux"

And MS cannot even give this. I was recently involved in an incident
where a MS Publisher document threw up an error when printing. The
document was created and edited with Office XP (or more precisely
2002). It opened OK on Office 2003 (which surely is supposed to be
compatible with '2002'), you could edit it OK, but it choked when you
tried to print it. You could make a .pdf using PDFcreate (which is a
printer 'driver' which produces a pdf file) but some content was
missing. After much foofing around, we finally got the job done. After
trying a few more things and a bit of reflection I considered it was a
compatibility problem so all one can do is heave a chair then get on
with life.

peterwn

On Oct 23, 5:47*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "peterwn" *wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> On Oct 22, 10:58 pm, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On 22/10/2010 10:24 a.m., JohnO threw some characters down the intarwebs:

> > > "Today, it is clear that, while Linux has a definite role in the
> > > Internet server market, it is never going to succeed in establishing
> > > itself as a desktop operating system. "

> > >http://www.geek-central.gen.nz/peeve...nces_laws.html
> > > Last sentence of first paragraph of "The Laws in the Present—Linux"

> > And MS cannot even give this. *I was recently involved in an incident
> > where a MS Publisher document threw up an error when printing. The
> > document was created and edited with Office XP (or more precisely
> > 2002). It opened OK on Office 2003 (which surely is supposed to be
> > compatible with '2002'), you could edit it OK, but it choked when you
> > tried to print it. You could make a .pdf using PDFcreate (which is a
> > printer 'driver' which produces a pdf file) but some content was
> > missing. After much foofing around, we finally got the job done. After
> > trying a few more things and a bit of reflection I considered it was a
> > compatibility problem so all one can do is heave a chair then get on
> > with life.

> What in the world does any of that have to do with the failure of linux on
> the desktop?

Nothing, because there is no failure of Linux on the desktop. Granted
the uptake has been modest, but even then it is in the millions. In
any case even if Linux disappeared off the desktop completely, it
would still be powering many, many, many servers, supercomputers,
clusters, etc which require a *real* operating system. Even your mates
Bill and Steve pretty well concede that.

peterwn

On Oct 24, 2:04*am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What in the world does any of that have to do with the failure of linux on
> the desktop?

Nothing, but I cannot resist baiting trolls.