Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wanted: Fan for Acer Travelmate 2400 / 3220 or Aspire 3600 / 5500.

Wanted: Fan for Acer Travelmate 2400 / 3220 or Aspire 3600 / 5500.

~misfit~

As per the subject, a friend has a TravelMate 2400 and was too vigourous
cleaning dust out of the cooler and the blades are *very* fragile....

The fan is a discrete assembly that is attached to the heatsink proper with
three small screws and weighs all of ~15 grammes. I contacted Acer (0800
ACERNZ) who put me on to Dove, who quoted me for the whole heatpipe /
heatsink / fan assembly (they don't do the fan alone) at $107, not inclusive
of freight from off-shore or GST.

Unfortunately I don't have another laptop fan that lends itself to easy
adaption for the Acer and that's silly money for a part for a five year old
laptop (Lenovo wanted considerably less than that for a three heat-pipe
cooler / fan for my T60 and the Acer's is only a third the size, with a
single heatpipe).

I've been watching Trademe and Sella and have contacted folks who I've
bought (mostly ThinkPad) laptop parts from before with no luck. It's a great
little laptop (Pentium M 'Dothan' 1.6GHz, 2GB DDR2RAM and 160GB HDD) that
does all that's asked of it admirably. However said friend is in a similar
financial situation as I am and is loathe to spend that much on a
replacement fan.

I know it's a long-shot but it's worth a post...

(Oh, Dove just wished me luck in my search and told me that the same
'thermal solution' is used in the Aspire models 3600 and 5500 and the
TravelMate 3220 series, subject updated accordingly.)

TIA,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Anony Mouse wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> As per the subject, a friend has a TravelMate 2400 and was too
>> vigourous cleaning dust out of the cooler and the blades are *very*
>> fragile.... The fan is a discrete assembly that is attached to the
>> heatsink
>> proper with three small screws and weighs all of ~15 grammes. I
>> contacted Acer (0800 ACERNZ) who put me on to Dove, who quoted me
>> for the whole heatpipe / heatsink / fan assembly (they don't do the
>> fan alone) at $107, not inclusive of freight from off-shore or GST.
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't have another laptop fan that lends itself to
>> easy adaption for the Acer and that's silly money for a part for a
>> five year old laptop (Lenovo wanted considerably less than that for
>> a three heat-pipe cooler / fan for my T60 and the Acer's is only a
>> third the size, with a single heatpipe).
>>
>> I've been watching Trademe and Sella and have contacted folks who
>> I've bought (mostly ThinkPad) laptop parts from before with no luck.
>> It's a great little laptop (Pentium M 'Dothan' 1.6GHz, 2GB DDR2RAM
>> and 160GB HDD) that does all that's asked of it admirably. However
>> said friend is in a similar financial situation as I am and is
>> loathe to spend that much on a replacement fan.
>>
>> I know it's a long-shot but it's worth a post...
>>
>> (Oh, Dove just wished me luck in my search and told me that the same
>> 'thermal solution' is used in the Aspire models 3600 and 5500 and the
>> TravelMate 3220 series, subject updated accordingly.)
>>
>> TIA,

> Try dunamys.co.nz
>
> Mike, the tech, may be able to help you.
> You will need to get past Graeme first.
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I was actually going to try asking Graeme on one of his
Trademe auctions but he doesn't answer questions very often.

If I have no luck there it's looking increasingly like I'm going to have to
dremel another fan housing to try to fit it. I'm not sure I like the
odds of that working.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

SteveM

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i9qi00$hm9$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> As per the subject, a friend has a TravelMate 2400 and was too
> vigourous cleaning dust out of the cooler and the blades are *very*
> fragile....
>
> The fan is a discrete assembly that is attached to the heatsink proper
> with three small screws and weighs all of ~15 grammes. I contacted
> Acer (0800 ACERNZ) who put me on to Dove, who quoted me for the whole
> heatpipe / heatsink / fan assembly (they don't do the fan alone) at
> $107, not inclusive of freight from off-shore or GST.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have another laptop fan that lends itself to
> easy adaption for the Acer and that's silly money for a part for a
> five year old laptop (Lenovo wanted considerably less than that for a
> three heat-pipe cooler / fan for my T60 and the Acer's is only a third
> the size, with a single heatpipe).
>
> I've been watching Trademe and Sella and have contacted folks who I've
> bought (mostly ThinkPad) laptop parts from before with no luck. It's a
> great little laptop (Pentium M 'Dothan' 1.6GHz, 2GB DDR2RAM and 160GB
> HDD) that does all that's asked of it admirably. However said friend
> is in a similar financial situation as I am and is loathe to spend
> that much on a replacement fan.
>
> I know it's a long-shot but it's worth a post...
>
> (Oh, Dove just wished me luck in my search and told me that the same
> 'thermal solution' is used in the Aspire models 3600 and 5500 and the
> TravelMate 3220 series, subject updated accordingly.)
>
> TIA,

I could be of help. Email bigted at ihug

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs SteveM wrote:
[snip]
> I could be of help. Email bigted at ihug

Email sent, thanks. (I assume .co.nz after the bit above?)
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs SteveM wrote:
> [snip]
>> I could be of help. Email bigted at ihug

> Email sent, thanks. (I assume .co.nz after the bit above?)

Just a note, Steve didn't have one, I'm still looking. Cooling unit in
question is this one:

<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60-A70V5-007-Acer-Aspire-5500Z-3600-5500z-heatsink-fan_W0QQitemZ160471595619QQihZ006QQcategoryZ31534Q QcmdZViewItem>

(Thanks for the URL Steve) However, at the moment, if all else fails, I'm
thinking I might buy this one:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=325480265

And hope that the fan part isn't *too* different (it IS different but I'm
hoping not too much) and can be adapted to fit the heatpipe assembly of the
one I'm trying to fix.

HAND
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs SteveM wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> I could be of help. Email bigted at ihug

>> Email sent, thanks. (I assume .co.nz after the bit above?)

> Just a note, Steve didn't have one, I'm still looking. Cooling unit in
> question is this one:
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60-A70V5-007-Acer-Aspire-5500Z-3600-5500z-heatsink-fan_W0QQitemZ160471595619QQihZ006QQcategoryZ31534Q QcmdZViewItem>
>
> (Thanks for the URL Steve) However, at the moment, if all else fails,
> I'm thinking I might buy this one:
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=325480265
>
> And hope that the fan part isn't *too* different (it IS different but
> I'm hoping not too much) and can be adapted to fit the heatpipe
> assembly of the one I'm trying to fix.

I managed to get the right cooler from Trademe, thanks to those who tried to
help.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Anony Mouse wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Just a note, Steve didn't have one, I'm still looking. Cooling unit
>>> in question is this one:
>>>
>>> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60-A70V5-007-Acer-Aspire-5500Z-3600-5500z-heatsink-fan_W0QQitemZ160471595619QQihZ006QQcategoryZ31534Q QcmdZViewItem>
>>>
>>> (Thanks for the URL Steve) However, at the moment, if all else
>>> fails, I'm thinking I might buy this one:
>>>
>>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=325480265
>>>
>>> And hope that the fan part isn't *too* different (it IS different
>>> but I'm hoping not too much) and can be adapted to fit the heatpipe
>>> assembly of the one I'm trying to fix.

>> I managed to get the right cooler from Trademe, thanks to those who
>> tried to help.

> Maybe good things come along for good people when the need arises.

Maybe they do. Even us bad folks sometimes get breaks too.

Regards,