Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > eternal-september.org

eternal-september.org

Jaya

My ISP is Sympatico. I would like to know how to set up news eternal
september org using WLM and Windows 7.

There is nothing in the main site concerning Windows Live Mail.

I set it up but can't connect. Something is wrong but I don't know what.

I asked the guy mentioned in the site but no answer yet and no way to get
help form Sympatico support team.

Thank you.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jaya wrote:

> My ISP is Sympatico. I would like to know how to set up news eternal
> september org using WLM and Windows 7.

You need to sign up at eternal-september.org - with a valid email
address - have you done that yet? You will receive account information
sent to that email address.

> There is nothing in the main site concerning Windows Live Mail.

How about Outlook Express? It's the same as WLM. (Though I would
recommend a better newsreader...)

> I set it up but can't connect. Something is wrong but I don't know
> what.

You aren't authenticating with your assigned account ID and password.

> I asked the guy mentioned in the site but no answer yet and no way to
> get help form Sympatico support team.

Don't bother. This is not an ISP thing. As long as you can connect to
the Internet, the rest of the job is up to you.

--
-bts

Mike Easter

Jaya wrote:
> My ISP is Sympatico. I would like to know how to set up news eternal
> september org using WLM and Windows 7.

First register with a good address
http://www.eternal-september.org/Reg...hp?language=en
User registration

Then get the user/pass at the email address.

> There is nothing in the main site concerning Windows Live Mail.

Here are screenshots of configuring news.individual.net for WLM.
Everything is done the same except using news.eternal-september.org
instead of news.individual.net

http://individual.net/configuration/...009-win-en.php
Program configuration for Windows Live Mail

> I set it up but can't connect. Something is wrong but I don't know what.

Even if you are unregistered, you should be connecting with the server.

Use the configuration shown in the screenshots which includes requires
me to log in, port 119 and no secure authentication.

> I asked the guy mentioned in the site but no answer yet and no way to
> get help form Sympatico support team.

Most people who have trouble with e-s eternal-september are able to
access the server (but fail to log in) and so they can get the
eternal-september groups but not the rest of the groups.

--
Mike Easter

Jaya

Hi! Mike,

I followed your suggestion and everything works very well.

Thank you very much, you are very helpful in this group.

Jaya

"Mike Easter" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

Jaya wrote:
> My ISP is Sympatico. I would like to know how to set up news eternal
> september org using WLM and Windows 7.

First register with a good address
http://www.eternal-september.org/Reg...hp?language=en
User registration

Then get the user/pass at the email address.

> There is nothing in the main site concerning Windows Live Mail.

Here are screenshots of configuring news.individual.net for WLM.
Everything is done the same except using news.eternal-september.org
instead of news.individual.net

http://individual.net/configuration/...009-win-en.php
Program configuration for Windows Live Mail

> I set it up but can't connect. Something is wrong but I don't know what.

Even if you are unregistered, you should be connecting with the server.

Use the configuration shown in the screenshots which includes requires
me to log in, port 119 and no secure authentication.

> I asked the guy mentioned in the site but no answer yet and no way to get
> help form Sympatico support team.

Most people who have trouble with e-s eternal-september are able to
access the server (but fail to log in) and so they can get the
eternal-september groups but not the rest of the groups.

--
Mike Easter

Jaya

Hi !

I followed instruction from Mike and everything is working fine now.

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
i9pu80$k51$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

Jaya wrote:
> Hi! Mike,
>
> I followed your suggestion and everything works very well.
>
> Thank you very much, you are very helpful in this group.

YW. You're welcome. I have some - 2 - more suggestions.

-1- Configure your WLM to use quote marks.

Get to this screen in Options:

http://individual.net/images/screens...-win-en-16.png

That is: Tools menu/ Options item/ Send tab/ News Sending Format section.

Then click the Plain Text Settings button in the news sending format and
near the bottom check the box "Indent the original text with '>' when
replying or forwarding"

-2- Follow contextual and conversational format by editing your
replies in this order: after you hit reply, begin trimming every line of
the quotation that you aren't going to reply directly to, then put your
reply just under those words after an empty line, then trim everything
else below, especially including signatures and such.

Here is an illustration of a conversation between several people
http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml This document is a description
of the traditionally accepted "quoting style" in Usenet newsgroup postings.

--
Mike Easter

Anyone

why?

Barry OGrady wrote on 21-Oct-10 15:02 ...
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:30:14 -0400, "Jaya"<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi! Mike,
>>
>> I followed your suggestion and everything works very well.
>>
>> Thank you very much, you are very helpful in this group.

> Its important that you don't top post.
>>
>> Jaya
>>
>> "Mike Easter" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
>> (E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Jaya wrote:
>>> My ISP is Sympatico. I would like to know how to set up news eternal
>>> september org using WLM and Windows 7.

>> First register with a good address
>> http://www.eternal-september.org/Reg...hp?language=en
>> User registration
>>
>> Then get the user/pass at the email address.
>>
>>> There is nothing in the main site concerning Windows Live Mail.

>> Here are screenshots of configuring news.individual.net for WLM.
>> Everything is done the same except using news.eternal-september.org
>> instead of news.individual.net
>>
>> http://individual.net/configuration/...009-win-en.php
>> Program configuration for Windows Live Mail
>>
>>> I set it up but can't connect. Something is wrong but I don't know what.

>> Even if you are unregistered, you should be connecting with the server.
>>
>> Use the configuration shown in the screenshots which includes requires
>> me to log in, port 119 and no secure authentication.
>>
>>> I asked the guy mentioned in the site but no answer yet and no way to get
>>> help form Sympatico support team.

>> Most people who have trouble with e-s eternal-september are able to
>> access the server (but fail to log in) and so they can get the
>> eternal-september groups but not the rest of the groups.
>>

>> --
>> Mike Easter

Aardvark

Har de ****ing har.

--
The rocket bombs which fell daily on London were probably fired by
the Government of Oceania itself, ’just to keep people frightened’.

Jaya

"Mike Easter" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
(E-Mail Removed)...

YW. You're welcome. I have some - 2 - more suggestions.

-1- Configure your WLM to use quote marks.

Get to this screen in Options:

http://individual.net/images/screens...-win-en-16.png

That is: Tools menu/ Options item/ Send tab/ News Sending Format section.

Then click the Plain Text Settings button in the news sending format and
near the bottom check the box "Indent the original text with '>' when
replying or forwarding"

I don't have that box to indent even if I use the latest version of WLM
2011.

-2- Follow contextual and conversational format by editing your
replies in this order: after you hit reply, begin trimming every line of
the quotation that you aren't going to reply directly to, then put your
reply just under those words after an empty line, then trim everything
else below, especially including signatures and such.

I normally do that but I replied too fast.

Aardvark

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:24:09 -0400, Jaya wrote:

> NOTHING

Huh?