Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: How to get a faster comp for audio editing ?????

Re: How to get a faster comp for audio editing ?????

Meat Plow

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:28:09 -0700, Don Ward wrote:

> Im running a Pent4/2.4ghz, 2gigs of ram. Win xp pro Some of the
> programs for equalization, pitch shifting take can take 5-10 min for
> large files.
> I want to build/buy more speed, what is best way to double processing
> speed ? that is cut processing time in half.
> Pent 4 max out around 3ghz thats not much to gain is it ?
> Im open to suggestions....
> dward

Quad core AMD PhenomII 955 if you are looking for decent results on a
budget. Intel i7 quad core if you have the money.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:35:45 -0500, The Old Sourdough wrote:

> Meat Plow mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:28:09 -0700, Don Ward wrote:

>>> Im running a Pent4/2.4ghz, 2gigs of ram. Win xp pro Some of the
>>> programs for equalization, pitch shifting take can take 5-10 min for
>>> large files.
>>> I want to build/buy more speed, what is best way to double
>>> processing speed ? that is cut processing time in half.
>>> Pent 4 max out around 3ghz thats not much to gain is it ?
>>> Im open to suggestions....
>>> dward

>> Quad core AMD PhenomII 955 if you are looking for decent results on a
>> budget. Intel i7 quad core if you have the money.

> I'll second that on the Phenom II quad. Definitely a lotta bang for the
> buck. I just wish I had waited a couple of days before buying mine. Two
> days after I got it, the price dropped $20.. :.p

With editing raw avi and minus CUDA support, encoding the finished
project to DVD on an AMD x64 3200 with CUDA took over two hours on a
single pass 29.97 FPS 720x480 @ 3k FBR Dobly Digital 3.2.1 110 minute
video. The same video on the PhenomII 955 took 20 minutes without CUDA.

I would guess it would do equally well on audio. I haven't been doing
much audio only but I have 24 track capabilities and all sorts of VST and
DirectX filters and effects that can be run pre and post processing. I'll
have a Sony Vegas audio project to mix down when its done sometime in
November and I'll be able to compare then.