Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Good lens, high MP camera = superior combination

Good lens, high MP camera = superior combination

RichA

For all those thinking 12-15 megapixels is just "fine" take a look at
the resolution differences of this lens on a 24 megapixel FF and an
APS sensored camera with fewer MP. Despite the inevitable softening
at the edge of the FF, overall the resolution is hugely better in the
FF 24MP camera. $2000 for the FF camera (850) and about $1000 for the
APS. All that seems to be happening with the APS is that you are
short-changing the Zeiss lens.

http://dpreview.com/lensreviews/sony_24_2_m15/

Bruce

Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>RichA wrote:
>> the Zeiss lens.
>> http://dpreview.com/lensreviews/sony_24_2_m15/

>Sure looks freaky on the NEX body:
>http://a.img-dpreview.com/lensreview...es/onbody3.jpg

Not exactly what you would call a pancake lens.

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news(E-Mail Removed) :
>> Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>Sure looks freaky on the NEX body:
>>>http://a.img-dpreview.com/lensreview...es/onbody3.jpg

>> Not exactly what you would call a pancake lens.

>You wouldn't want the pancake they have..

I wouldn't, and neither would you, but it appears to be selling well.

So what do we know?

Me

On 23/10/2010 7:28 p.m., Paul Furman wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> Paul Furman<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure looks freaky on the NEX body:
>>> http://a.img-dpreview.com/lensreview...es/onbody3.jpg

>> Not exactly what you would call a pancake lens.

> Is there an FX NEX?
> Think of it as a basic digital back for your lenses.
> That would be cool.

Closest you can get is a canon 5DII.
It can mount Nikon (and other) glass, still has a prism and optical
viewfinder, but works in LV mode. Makes movies too. Shame about the
pattern noise limited electronics, but at least it's cheap and high
resolution.

Bruce

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:28:04 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>> Paul Furman<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure looks freaky on the NEX body:
>>> http://a.img-dpreview.com/lensreview...es/onbody3.jpg

>> Not exactly what you would call a pancake lens.

>Is there an FX NEX?
>Think of it as a basic digital back for your lenses.
>That would be cool.

I agree it would be cool, but there isn't one and it is unlikely there
ever will be. Given that the Alpha 900 and 850 models are both
discontinued, with no replacement in sight, Sony may well abandon
Alpha full frame sensors altogether.

That would be a shame. Apha users who bought full frame Sony lenses
(or kept their Minolta glass) would have to rely on the used market
for A900 and A850 bodies or accept a 1.5X factor on APS-C.

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>For all those thinking 12-15 megapixels is just "fine" take a look at
>the resolution differences of this lens on a 24 megapixel FF and an
>APS sensored camera with fewer MP. Despite the inevitable softening
>at the edge of the FF, overall the resolution is hugely better in the
>FF 24MP camera. $2000 for the FF camera (850) and about $1000 for the
>APS. All that seems to be happening with the APS is that you are
>short-changing the Zeiss lens.

You can get a high quality lens and a 40MP camera and get really good
results for $50,000.

--
Ray Fischer

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Ray Fischer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>FF 24MP camera. $2000 for the FF camera (850) and about $1000 for the
>>APS. All that seems to be happening with the APS is that you are
>>short-changing the Zeiss lens.

> You can get a high quality lens and a 40MP camera and get really good
> results for $50,000.

And if you believe that, you're either a beginner with no idea
(and probably don't even leave the green square mode for the scene
modes) or you are a very experienced, published, hard working pro
who's outgrown is current $30,000 camera (add that amount again
for the regularly used lenses).

BTW, Ray has a bridge to sell ...

-Wolfgang

Ray Fischer

Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ray Fischer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>FF 24MP camera. $2000 for the FF camera (850) and about $1000 for the
>>>APS. All that seems to be happening with the APS is that you are
>>>short-changing the Zeiss lens.

>> You can get a high quality lens and a 40MP camera and get really good
>> results for $50,000.

>And if you believe that, you're either a beginner with no idea
>(and probably don't even leave the green square mode for the scene
>modes) or you are a very experienced, published, hard working pro
>who's outgrown is current $30,000 camera (add that amount again
>for the regularly used lenses).
>
>BTW, Ray has a bridge to sell ...

That's the point. Rich is an elitist snob who insists that anything
less than a good magnesium FF SLR with an expensive lens CANNOT take
worthwhile pictures.

Of course he's also a hypocrite because the same logic can be used to
disparage his choice in cameras.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Ray Fischer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That's the point. Rich is an elitist snob who insists that anything
> less than a good magnesium FF SLR with an expensive lens CANNOT take
> worthwhile pictures.

Rich is an idiot. I've killfiled him years ago. Nothing
useful comes out of his mouth.

> Of course he's also a hypocrite because the same logic can be used to
> disparage his choice in cameras.

I just wonder why people still respond to him at all.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

David J. Littleboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[Rich]
>> I just wonder why people still respond to him at all.

> He's pretty much the only one who starts threads here.

Ah, it's desperation ...

-Wolfgang

Sunbeam 20-in-1 Superior Panel Review at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 1 06-23-2005 03:18 PM
Review: Sunbeam 20 in 1 Superior Panel Silverstrand Reviews & How-To's 1 06-22-2005 03:50 PM
Mother Superior Liz Computer Support 7 12-30-2003 11:21 PM
Finding the superior page from a nested page... John Sedlak ASP .Net 6 11-04-2003 12:15 AM
Which is Superior- Logging Or Debugging vnssoftware Java 9 08-27-2003 09:48 AM

Advertisments