Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Sound Blaster and C

Sound Blaster and C

Pete B

Hi there!

I've been coding in C/C++ for about 5 months now, and
I seem to be doing all right. I'm working on a project right now
which works with SVGA 640x480x256 graphics and mouse support, and
I'd like to include sound. However, I have absolutly no clue about
what to do.

I have found a list of interrupts for Sound Blaster (which is
what I want, even though I hear it's a real pain to code sound with
SB in C) but it hasn't helped. I know where to send the notes to,
but not where to get them from.

If someone could give me, or tell me of a site (FTP, WWW)
that carries include files, librairies, or even just some advive
that a beginner could use, I'd be very grateful. I found a reference
to documentation and sample code on a GOPHER site, but it seems to be
down at the moment.

I was hoping to be able to read the sounds from a .WAV file,
but anything such as a .VOC, .MID, .MOD, .RAW, etc... would be fine too.

Thanks for any help you could give me,
PETE

Sjouke Burry

Pete B wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I've been coding in C/C++ for about 5 months now, and
> I seem to be doing all right. I'm working on a project right now
> which works with SVGA 640x480x256 graphics and mouse support, and
> I'd like to include sound. However, I have absolutly no clue about
> what to do.
>
> I have found a list of interrupts for Sound Blaster (which is
> what I want, even though I hear it's a real pain to code sound with
> SB in C) but it hasn't helped. I know where to send the notes to,
> but not where to get them from.
>
> If someone could give me, or tell me of a site (FTP, WWW)
> that carries include files, librairies, or even just some advive
> that a beginner could use, I'd be very grateful. I found a reference
> to documentation and sample code on a GOPHER site, but it seems to be
> down at the moment.
>
> I was hoping to be able to read the sounds from a .WAV file,
> but anything such as a .VOC, .MID, .MOD, .RAW, etc... would be fine too.
>
> Thanks for any help you could give me,
> PETE

A simple Wav interface for sounbaster compatables
can be found at:
> http://home.planet.nl/~burry004/wav.ZIP

Tim Harig

On 2010-10-20, Pete B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If someone could give me, or tell me of a site (FTP, WWW)
> that carries include files, librairies, or even just some advive
> that a beginner could use, I'd be very grateful. I found a reference
> to documentation and sample code on a GOPHER site, but it seems to be
> down at the moment.

http://www.xiph.org/ao/

Mark Storkamp

In article <i9nqtv$p4j$(E-Mail Removed)>, Pete B <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I've been coding in C/C++ for about 5 months now, and
> I seem to be doing all right. I'm working on a project right now
> which works with SVGA 640x480x256 graphics and mouse support, and
> I'd like to include sound. However, I have absolutly no clue about
> what to do.
>
> I have found a list of interrupts for Sound Blaster (which is
> what I want, even though I hear it's a real pain to code sound with
> SB in C) but it hasn't helped. I know where to send the notes to,
> but not where to get them from.
>
> If someone could give me, or tell me of a site (FTP, WWW)
> that carries include files, librairies, or even just some advive
> that a beginner could use, I'd be very grateful. I found a reference
> to documentation and sample code on a GOPHER site, but it seems to be
> down at the moment.
>
> I was hoping to be able to read the sounds from a .WAV file,
> but anything such as a .VOC, .MID, .MOD, .RAW, etc... would be fine too.
>
> Thanks for any help you could give me,
> PETE

Why don't you go and check the answers that Mart got when he asked this
question verbatim back in 1995. Then go away.