Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Displaying an Excel spreadsheet

Displaying an Excel spreadsheet

Tim Marsden

Hi

I am a complete ASP novice.
Is it possible to display an Excel spreadsheet in a web page?
Can any input to the sheet be captured and sent back to the server?

Regards
Tim

Curt_C [MVP]

Yes you can display it, as long as the client has Excel installed. Just
redirect/point them to it.
As for editing...that's another story. It's a matter of permissions and
that. I HIGHLY recommend you rethink that.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"Tim Marsden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I am a complete ASP novice.
> Is it possible to display an Excel spreadsheet in a web page?
> Can any input to the sheet be captured and sent back to the server?
>
> Regards
> Tim

Tim Marsden

Thanks

Is it possible to display the Excel Workbook, if the user does not have
Excel installed.

Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes you can display it, as long as the client has Excel installed. Just
> redirect/point them to it.
> As for editing...that's another story. It's a matter of permissions and
> that. I HIGHLY recommend you rethink that.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> www.Darkfalz.com
>

> "Tim Marsden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > I am a complete ASP novice.
> > Is it possible to display an Excel spreadsheet in a web page?
> > Can any input to the sheet be captured and sent back to the server?
> >
> > Regards
> > Tim

S. Justin Gengo

Tim I've done this by sending a datagrid through with appropriate headers.

Here's some sample code to get you started:

Datagrid1.DataSource = MyDataSet
Datagrid1.DataBind()

Response.Charset = ""
Me.EnableViewState = False

Dim MyStringWriter As New System.IO.StringWriter
Dim MyHtmlTextWriter As New System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter(MyStringWriter)

Datagrid1.RenderControl(MyHtmlTextWriter)
Response.Write(MyStringWriter.ToString())

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

"Tim Marsden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I am a complete ASP novice.
> Is it possible to display an Excel spreadsheet in a web page?
> Can any input to the sheet be captured and sent back to the server?
>
> Regards
> Tim

Curt_C [MVP]

not as Excel.
You could parse it on the server and (try) to display it all as HTML.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
www.Darkfalz.com

"Tim Marsden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks
>
> Is it possible to display the Excel Workbook, if the user does not have
> Excel installed.
>
> Tim

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes you can display it, as long as the client has Excel installed. Just
> > redirect/point them to it.
> > As for editing...that's another story. It's a matter of permissions and
> > that. I HIGHLY recommend you rethink that.
> >
> > --
> > Curt Christianson
> > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> > www.Darkfalz.com
> >

> > "Tim Marsden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I am a complete ASP novice.
> > > Is it possible to display an Excel spreadsheet in a web page?
> > > Can any input to the sheet be captured and sent back to the server?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Tim

S. Justin Gengo

Tim,

If you want an "excel like experience" even for users who don't have excel
installed check out this MSDN article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ta02142002.asp

Be careful. If the Uri "breaks" you may have to copy and paste the entire
uri.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP