Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ECS GS7610 Ultra+ MOBO - SATA + IDE.

ECS GS7610 Ultra+ MOBO - SATA + IDE.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:14:39 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:26:27 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
>>
>>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I have the original booklet that came in the box with the MOBO.
>>>
>>> It doesn't actually say in so many words that SATA & IDE can run
>>> alongside each other, the example screenshots show "SATA not detected"
>>> for a setup that only has PATA drives fitted.
>>>
>>> Although it doesn't say in so many words that you can't either.
>>>
>>> On the question of whether its SATA2 compliant, the connectors on the
>>> MOBO are labelled SATA1 & SATA2 - but I'm pretty sure thats the
>>> numerical order of the 2 connectorsa and not the level of standard.

>> The only way you couldn't use both controllers is if you had to select
>> between one and the other in BIOS or by a jumper on the mainboard. I
>> would take an experienced guess that both SATA and PATA ports can be
>> used simultaneously and would be surprised if that weren't the case.
>>
>> As far as the SATA level goes, the board has a SIS965L Southbridge chip
>> and that only supports SATA1 - 1.5 Gbits/s.

> OK - so far so good, if I discover that it won't handle a 1Tb drive
> should I blame the MOBO or WinXP-Pro SP3 ?

The southbridge chip and BIOS should do 48 bit LBA so no worries there.

Hp

On 10/21/2010 4:14 PM, Ian Field wrote:
> "Meat Plow"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:26:27 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
>>
>>> "Meat Plow"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I have the original booklet that came in the box with the MOBO.
>>>
>>> It doesn't actually say in so many words that SATA& IDE can run
>>> alongside each other, the example screenshots show "SATA not detected"
>>> for a setup that only has PATA drives fitted.
>>>
>>> Although it doesn't say in so many words that you can't either.
>>>
>>> On the question of whether its SATA2 compliant, the connectors on the
>>> MOBO are labelled SATA1& SATA2 - but I'm pretty sure thats the
>>> numerical order of the 2 connectorsa and not the level of standard.

>> The only way you couldn't use both controllers is if you had to select
>> between one and the other in BIOS or by a jumper on the mainboard. I would
>> take an experienced guess that both SATA and PATA ports can be used
>> simultaneously and would be surprised if that weren't the case.
>>
>> As far as the SATA level goes, the board has a SIS965L Southbridge chip
>> and that only supports SATA1 - 1.5 Gbits/s.

> OK - so far so good, if I discover that it won't handle a 1Tb drive should I
> blame the MOBO or WinXP-Pro SP3 ?

several manufacturers make a PCI buss plugin card that allows adding
SATA harddrives to a computer, you can even get a card that adds SATA
AND IDE drives.

So if a motherboard has an empty PCI SLOT you can ADD SATA drives to
the PC!

Ian Field

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:14:39 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
>
>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The only way you couldn't use both controllers is if you had to select
>>> between one and the other in BIOS or by a jumper on the mainboard. I
>>> would take an experienced guess that both SATA and PATA ports can be
>>> used simultaneously and would be surprised if that weren't the case.
>>>
>>> As far as the SATA level goes, the board has a SIS965L Southbridge chip
>>> and that only supports SATA1 - 1.5 Gbits/s.

>> OK - so far so good, if I discover that it won't handle a 1Tb drive
>> should I blame the MOBO or WinXP-Pro SP3 ?

> The southbridge chip and BIOS should do 48 bit LBA so no worries there.

For formatting the drive I used an Asus M2N-MX, it didn't complain about
XP - I've yet to see what happens when I plug it into the GS7610.