Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Disgusted

Re: Disgusted

BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:11:49 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:02:32 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:46:42 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
>>>be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

>> Is the display even daylight viewable?

>Absolutely. What makes you think it wouldn't be?

The overwhelming majority are not.

How many nits?

Meat Plow

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:26:12 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:11:49 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:02:32 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:

>>> Is the display even daylight viewable?

>>Absolutely. What makes you think it wouldn't be?

> The overwhelming majority are not.
>
> How many nits?

I'd say the majority of laptop screens are viewable inside a vehicle. And
owning a couple Tom Tom units with 3.5 inch screens I'd say they are no
brighter than a laptop screen.

BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:34:14 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:26:12 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:11:49 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>Absolutely. What makes you think it wouldn't be?

>> The overwhelming majority are not.
>>
>> How many nits?

>I'd say the majority of laptop screens are viewable inside a vehicle. And
>owning a couple Tom Tom units with 3.5 inch screens I'd say they are no
>brighter than a laptop screen.

There is a huge difference between "inside a vehicle" and "on the
dashboard".

So, I'll ask again. Is it truly daylight viewable, and how many NITS?

As a quick test, take your Tom Tom and Laptop outside and see how they
compare in direct daylight. Making a display daylight viewable is
expensive. A daylight viewable 3.5 inch screen would be MUCH cheaper
than a daylight viewable laptop screen.

Laptops tend to be well under 500 NITS. You need at LEAST 1500 NITS to
start calling a display "daylight viewable". That would be a bare
minimum.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:03:38 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:34:14 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:26:12 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:

>>> The overwhelming majority are not.
>>>
>>> How many nits?

>>I'd say the majority of laptop screens are viewable inside a vehicle.
>>And owning a couple Tom Tom units with 3.5 inch screens I'd say they are
>>no brighter than a laptop screen.

> There is a huge difference between "inside a vehicle" and "on the
> dashboard".
>
> So, I'll ask again. Is it truly daylight viewable, and how many NITS?
>
> As a quick test, take your Tom Tom and Laptop outside and see how they
> compare in direct daylight. Making a display daylight viewable is
> expensive. A daylight viewable 3.5 inch screen would be MUCH cheaper
> than a daylight viewable laptop screen.
>
> Laptops tend to be well under 500 NITS. You need at LEAST 1500 NITS to
> start calling a display "daylight viewable". That would be a bare
> minimum.

It's viewable inside the cabin on the dash with little to no difference
in brightness and contrast to the Tom Tom. My reference to a dash-mount
did not make mention to any particular place on the dash however I would
not mount a laptop in the area used to view the road. Since the GPS is at
the end of a USB cable my choice of mounting would be somewhere above the
center console level with the middle of the dash. My vehicle (SUV)
windows are all factory tinted. The front three are dark but do not hide
the interior. The back windows are all tinted black from the factory and
hide the interior. This reduces the overall ambient lighting to the
interior considerably even in bright sunlight.

n0i

On 10/18/2010 1:46 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
<snip>
> I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
> be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

Depends on the screensaver And background images...

n0i

Meat Plow

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:47:13 -0400, n0i wrote:

> On 10/18/2010 1:46 PM, Meat Plow wrote: <snip>
>> I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen.
>> Would be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

> Depends on the screensaver And background images...
>
> n0i

You know i didn't think of that.

OldGringo38

On 10/18/2010 10:32 PM Just to please that super-ego, Jane_Galt wrote
the following tidbit of information:
> Meat Plow<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>> I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
>> be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

> All these tyrants without lives, wanting to dictate to everyone how to do
> everything, and even what kind of toilet paper they must use.
>
> I can mount the LT wherever the hell I want and no one will bother me, as
> long as I drive safely. Zig heil to all you marxist/fascists out there.

You tell em honey, I'm going to bed.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

Mike Yetto

Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:23:06 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

>> Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>>
>>> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.

>>> You have been given two instances where the state law allows such
>>> devices in the front seat, but not use by the driver while the car is
>>> moving.
>>>

>> Which obviously isn't the case here. They want to use the laptop *while*
>> the car is in motion.
>>
>> This *isn't* anywhere near a new thread BTW, it goes back months. Try
>> this message-id. It's her orginal post on the idea.

>> Back in march. And she's been arguing with anyone who's said it's a bad
>> idea ever since.

>I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
>be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

Probably. In New York, at least, if the device is in a position
to be used by the driver while the car is in motion the
assumption is that it is being used. I wouldn't be surprised to
find the same assumption in the laws of other states.

You could argue that you are using it as a GPS, but the burden of
proof would be on you.

Mike "not to mention the effect of a sharp right turn" Yetto
In practice they are not.

Mike Yetto

Jane_Galt <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>> I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
>> be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

>All these tyrants without lives, wanting to dictate to everyone how to do
>everything, and even what kind of toilet paper they must use.

>I can mount the LT wherever the hell I want and no one will bother me, as
>long as I drive safely. Zig heil to all you marxist/fascists out there.

You have been given some good advice here, including advice on
possible legal ramifications of doing what you want. If all you
can do is repeat what *you* want to do and how the rest of us are
"marxist/fascists" (opposing ideologies, by the way) then go ahead
and mount anything anywhere you like. I have a suggestion, but
why bother?

Mike "oh, and Godwin's Law" Yetto
In practice they are not.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:32:44 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:

> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>> I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen.
>> Would be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

> All these tyrants without lives, wanting to dictate to everyone how to
> do everything, and even what kind of toilet paper they must use.
>
> I can mount the LT wherever the hell I want and no one will bother me,
> as long as I drive safely. Zig heil to all you marxist/fascists out
> there.

When push comes to shove you'll do what you want. Hopefully you will have
the common sense not to endanger yourself or others. After driving down
the road and watching several young girls and boys texting while driving
one can only have hope.

Re: Disgusted Kay Computer Support 0 10-16-2010 09:10 PM
Quite disgusted with voip.co.uk Sean UK VOIP 15 07-17-2006 04:52 PM
Disgusted at Disgusted Geoffrey Windows 64bit 14 02-16-2006 06:54 PM
Norton A/V Disgusted Lord Haw-Haw Computer Support 6 01-29-2004 03:51 PM
I am disgusted with comp.lang.c Doug B C Programming 13 07-26-2003 06:48 PM

Advertisments