Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The beginning of the end for compact P&S digicams?

The beginning of the end for compact P&S digicams?

Bruce

Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
13 MP camera with a zoom lens:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3603...one-first-pics

David J Taylor

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
> 13 MP camera with a zoom lens:
>
> http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3603...one-first-pics

Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if one
affordable box does all you need?

David

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Superzooms Still Win <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
> >13 MP camera with a zoom lens:
> >
> >http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3603...one-first-pics

> I have no need for a cell phone, ever. No, it's not the end for P&S
> digicams. Only in your psychotic imagination might that be true.
>
> Are you going to go out and buy a microwave oven that needs an expensive
> monthly service-contract to make it functional because you want a clock?

Well, to be honest - there are an order of magnitude more people that
use a cell phone than have a P&S camera. So the comparison is
off-balance.

So chances are that you already own a microwave oven with an expensive
monthly service contract and you DON'T own a clock - and when it's
time to get a new oven, you might as well get one with a clock

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

In article <i9bgt0$9cj$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
> > 13 MP camera with a zoom lens:
> >
> > http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3603...one-first-pics

> Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if one
> affordable box does all you need?

iPhone it is

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Sandman" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> Well, to be honest - there are an order of magnitude more people that
> use a cell phone than have a P&S camera. So the comparison is
> off-balance.
>
> So chances are that you already own a microwave oven with an expensive
> monthly service contract and you DON'T own a clock - and when it's
> time to get a new oven, you might as well get one with a clock
> ======================================
>
> Where do you live that you need a monthly service contract on a microwave
> oven?

That was his example, not mine

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Where do you live that you need a monthly service contract on a microwave
> > > oven?

> > That was his example, not mine

> It looked to me as though you were confirming such things.

Unfortunately, that was incorrect. I merely corrected his example to
illustrate the balance between the two scenarios.

You're welcome!

--
Sandman[.net]

David J Taylor

"N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). au...
> "David J Taylor" wrote in message
> news:i9bgt0$9cj$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>
> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
>> 13 MP camera with a zoom lens:
>>
>> http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3603...one-first-pics

> Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if
> one
> affordable box does all you need?
>
> David
> =========================
>
> And when the battery is flat you have absolutely nothing.

Accepted, but power required by these devices is coming down all the time,
and battery capacity is improving. Example, the 10-hour life now seen
with the iPad.

David

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
"N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "David J Taylor" wrote in message
> news:i9bgt0$9cj$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>
> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
> > 13 MP camera with a zoom lens:
> >
> > http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3603...one-first-pics

> Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if one
> affordable box does all you need?
>
> David
> =========================
>
> And when the battery is flat you have absolutely nothing.

Well, the nuisance of always having to keep X number of gadgets fully
charged for when and if they might suddenly be needed is equally
problematic, either way.

A few years back me and my wife went on a road trip up north, with me
in the car was these gadgets:

1. Nokia N95
for phone and internet
2. Nokia N800
for surfing the web
3. Palm Pilot
for my calendar and organizing
4. iPod
for listening to music
5. Sony PSP
for playing games
6. Tom Tom GPS
for navigation
7. Canon IXUS
for photography

That's seven devices that all needed to be charged individually. When
I go on a road trip today, I bring these devices:

1. iPhone
for phone, internet, surfing, calendar, organizing, music, games
navigation and photography

While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would always
keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices and a
situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would get
priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded with
regards to music or playing games - for instance.

--
Sandman[.net]

J. Clarke

In article <i9bgt0$9cj$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, david-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
> > 13 MP camera with a zoom lens:
> >
> > http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3603...one-first-pics

> Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if one
> affordable box does all you need?

Ultimately it's all moving toward a universal information device.
Recording it, communicating, analyzing it, all in the same hand-held.

Pity Sony got out of the PDA business when they did--their Clie NX
series was getting very close to being there--mainly just lacked the
phone.

MC

Sandman wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> "N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "David J Taylor" wrote in message
> > news:i9bgt0$9cj$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> >
> > "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which
> > > incorporates a 13 MP camera with a zoom lens:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3603...one-first-pics

> > Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser,
> > if one affordable box does all you need?
> >
> > David
> > =========================
> >
> > And when the battery is flat you have absolutely nothing.

> Well, the nuisance of always having to keep X number of gadgets fully
> charged for when and if they might suddenly be needed is equally
> problematic, either way.
>
> A few years back me and my wife went on a road trip up north, with me
> in the car was these gadgets:
>
> 1. Nokia N95
> for phone and internet
> 2. Nokia N800
> for surfing the web
> 3. Palm Pilot
> for my calendar and organizing
> 4. iPod
> for listening to music
> 5. Sony PSP
> for playing games
> 6. Tom Tom GPS
> for navigation
> 7. Canon IXUS
> for photography
>
> That's seven devices that all needed to be charged individually. When
> I go on a road trip today, I bring these devices:
>
> 1. iPhone
> for phone, internet, surfing, calendar, organizing, music, games
> navigation and photography
>

> While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
> IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would always
> keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices and a
> situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would get
> priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded with
> regards to music or playing games - for instance.

Ah yes but the iPhone is not great at ALL those things. The camera
side of the iPhone is appalling copmared to a purpose built camera,
even a cheap one.
The iPhone is also overprices and also tied with expensive contracts.
My cameras and games machines are not. The Sat Nav can also be a hit
or miss on the iPhone.

Technology has not yet made an "all in one device" as good as the
individaul "built for purpose devices". When they do, and at an
acceptable price, then maybe there will be an argument for them.
However, I can see "purpose built" single purpose devices being around
for some time yet. This is especially true for the camera.

MC