Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The beginning of the end for compact P&S digicams?

The beginning of the end for compact P&S digicams?

John McWilliams

On 10/16/10 PDT 8:17 AM, MC wrote:

>> While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
>> IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would always
>> keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices and a
>> situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would get
>> priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded with
>> regards to music or playing games - for instance.

> Ah yes but the iPhone is not great at ALL those things. The camera
> side of the iPhone is appalling copmared to a purpose built camera,
> even a cheap one.
> The iPhone is also overprices and also tied with expensive contracts.
> My cameras and games machines are not. The Sat Nav can also be a hit
> or miss on the iPhone.
>
> Technology has not yet made an "all in one device" as good as the
> individaul "built for purpose devices". When they do, and at an
> acceptable price, then maybe there will be an argument for them.
> However, I can see "purpose built" single purpose devices being around
> for some time yet. This is especially true for the camera.

Your ignorance of the iPhone is telling.

However, be sure to haul your 250 watt stereo and $3000 speakers to the
camp site....

--
john mcwilliams

"The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You
trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act.
You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There
can't be any large-scale revolution until there's a personal revolution,
on an individual level. It's got to happen inside first."
-Jim Morrison

MC

John McWilliams wrote:

> On 10/16/10 PDT 8:17 AM, MC wrote:
> >

> > > While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
> > > IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would
> > > always keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices
> > > and a situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would
> > > get priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded
> > > with regards to music or playing games - for instance.

> > Ah yes but the iPhone is not great at ALL those things. The camera
> > side of the iPhone is appalling copmared to a purpose built camera,
> > even a cheap one.
> > The iPhone is also overprices and also tied with expensive
> > contracts. My cameras and games machines are not. The Sat Nav can
> > also be a hit or miss on the iPhone.
> >
> > Technology has not yet made an "all in one device" as good as the
> > individaul "built for purpose devices". When they do, and at an
> > acceptable price, then maybe there will be an argument for them.
> > However, I can see "purpose built" single purpose devices being
> > around for some time yet. This is especially true for the camera.

> Your ignorance of the iPhone is telling.

I think not.

MC

tony cooper

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:38:52 +1100, "N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Sandman" wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>Well, to be honest - there are an order of magnitude more people that
>use a cell phone than have a P&S camera. So the comparison is
>off-balance.
>
>So chances are that you already own a microwave oven with an expensive
>monthly service contract and you DON'T own a clock - and when it's
>time to get a new oven, you might as well get one with a clock
>======================================
>
>Where do you live that you need a monthly service contract on a microwave
>oven?

Anywhere the power company sends you a monthly bill.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"MC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > 1. iPhone
> > for phone, internet, surfing, calendar, organizing, music, games
> > navigation and photography
> >

> > While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
> > IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would always
> > keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices and a
> > situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would get
> > priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded with
> > regards to music or playing games - for instance.

> Ah yes but the iPhone is not great at ALL those things. The camera
> side of the iPhone is appalling copmared to a purpose built camera,
> even a cheap one.

I obviously disagree. The iPhone is a lot better than my Canon IXUS.
Handles light conditions better. The IXUS flash is a disaster, and the
iPhone flash is only so-so.

> The iPhone is also overprices and also tied with expensive contracts.

I don't have an "expensive contract" and no ties with my iPhone. It
costs to make phone calls and surf the web, but that's not exclusive
to the iPhone

> My cameras and games machines are not.

My P&S camera is built in - that does not make them tied to a contract.

> The Sat Nav can also be a hit or miss on the iPhone.

It's always hit here.

> Technology has not yet made an "all in one device" as good as the
> individaul "built for purpose devices".

Sure, but the next to perfect one device outweighs the hassle of
several devices these days.

> When they do, and at an
> acceptable price, then maybe there will be an argument for them.
> However, I can see "purpose built" single purpose devices being around
> for some time yet. This is especially true for the camera.

Don't get me wrong - my Nikon D3S isn't being replaced by my iPhone
any day soon. But the subject was P&S cameras.

--
Sandman[.net]