Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus's most MASSIVE blunder, IMO

Olympus's most MASSIVE blunder, IMO

RichA

It's at the end of this fairly detailed grilling of an Olympus exec.
They designed the E-5 to appeal to the needs (they believe) of pros.
HUGE mistake. The higher-end E-series camera were NEVER going to
appeal to pros because of the 4/3rds sensor limitations. However HAD
they re-approached the E-3 product with a mind to producing a closer
kin of the E-1, they would have snared a huge part of the enthusiast
crowd, the ONLY crowd they should have logically gone after. This was
a big mistake and ultimately the one that will kill what is left of
the Olympus DSLR following. Very few will fork over $1700 for the
E-5, no matter what its weather sealing is like.

An E-1 resurrection will never match the APS or FF sensor cameras for
sheer image quality, but an E-1esque body (arguably one of the best
DSLR bodies ever) with the best modern 4/3rds sensor would have been
very welcome.

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/q&a_terada.html

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Olympus's most MASSIVE blunder, IMO

.... was to allow you to buy one of their cameras.

You have never stopped whining about the brand ever since.

Rich

On Oct 14, 4:18*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Olympus's most MASSIVE blunder, IMO

> ... was to allow you to buy one of their cameras. *
>
> You have never stopped whining about the brand ever since.

So what? I've owned five Olympus DSLRs and have done my part to
support them.

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Oct 14, 4:18*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Olympus's most MASSIVE blunder, IMO

>> ... was to allow you to buy one of their cameras. *
>>
>> You have never stopped whining about the brand ever since.

>So what? I've owned five Olympus DSLRs and have done my part to
>support them.

You have never stopped whining about the brand ever since.

(I thought I would say that again since you obviously cannot have read
it the first time.)

Rich

On Oct 14, 1:18*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> ... was to allow you to buy one of their cameras. *

> >> You have never stopped whining about the brand ever since.

> >So what? *I've owned five Olympus DSLRs and have done my part to
> >support them.

> You have never stopped whining about the brand ever since.

Because they (Olympus) sabotaged their DSLR line. Does no one
remember the remarkable E-10, E-20, C8080 and E-1 aside from a few
enthusiasts?

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Oct 14, 1:18*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >So what? *I've owned five Olympus DSLRs and have done my part to
>> >support them.

>> You have never stopped whining about the brand ever since.
>>

>Because they (Olympus) sabotaged their DSLR line. Does no one
>remember the remarkable E-10, E-20, C8080 and E-1 aside from a few
>enthusiasts?

Of course people remember them, just like they remember that car they
used to own that isn't made any more. But no-one cares.

Except you, of course. You are just *so* determined to be miserable,
and moan and whine all the time. If it wasn't about Olympus, it would
be about something else.

The problem isn't Olympus, nor anything they did. The problem is you.

I suppose being a Canadian must have a lot to do with it. Whining
seems to be Canadians' national pastime.

Bruce

>On 2010-10-15 05:37:41 -0700, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>> I suppose being a Canadian must have a lot to do with it. Whining
>> seems to be Canadians' national pastime.

>Naah! There is no Canadian lock on whining.
>
>Whining knows no nationality. I am sure there are well practiced
>whiners gracing the British Isles, just as we have them whining coast
>to coast in the US. We are experiencing an extended whining season over
>here.

True, I have met whiners of many nationalities ...

But I have never encountered a Canadian who *didn't* whine. That's
why I think it must be a national pastime.

There's no such thing as a Canadian sense of humour. To a Canadian, a
"joke" is just another whine with "Eh?" added at the end.

Bruce

>>> Naah! There is no Canadian lock on whining.
>>>
>>> Whining knows no nationality. I am sure there are well practiced
>>> whiners gracing the British Isles, just as we have them whining coast
>>> to coast in the US. We are experiencing an extended whining season over
>>> here.

>> True, I have met whiners of many nationalities ...
>>
>> But I have never encountered a Canadian who *didn't* whine. That's
>> why I think it must be a national pastime.
>>
>> There's no such thing as a Canadian sense of humour. To a Canadian, a
>> "joke" is just another whine with "Eh?" added at the end.

>I don't believe that is strictly true.
>
>However it seems those Canadian comedians & performing artists with any
>talent migrate south of the border. There is an extensive list, which
>to name a few, includes Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Jim Carrey, Tommy
>Chong, Dave Foley, Michael J. Fox, Phil Hartman, Rich Little, Norm
>MacDonald, Howie Mandel, Lorne Michaels, Rick Moranis, Mike Meyers,
>Leslie Nielsen, Seth Rogan, and so on.
>
>...and they manage to get laughs without a "whine" or "eh" punctuation.

That's because they migrated south.

Canada has a huge migration problem, with talented people leaving in
their hundreds of thousands every year to make their lives elsewhere.
That's why the Canadian government has to put so much effort into
encouraging large scale immigration.

Bruce

Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 05:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

>>> ... was to allow you to buy one of their cameras. *
>>>
>>> You have never stopped whining about the brand ever since.

>>So what? I've owned five Olympus DSLRs and have done my part to
>>support them.

>You hate Olympus cameras, but you have bought five of them? You must be
>a masochist!

He only bought them so he would have something to whine about.

peter

On 10/15/2010 10:11 AM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> Naah! There is no Canadian lock on whining.
>>>
>>> Whining knows no nationality. I am sure there are well practiced
>>> whiners gracing the British Isles, just as we have them whining coast
>>> to coast in the US. We are experiencing an extended whining season over
>>> here.

>> True, I have met whiners of many nationalities ...
>>
>> But I have never encountered a Canadian who *didn't* whine. That's
>> why I think it must be a national pastime.
>>
>> There's no such thing as a Canadian sense of humour. To a Canadian, a
>> "joke" is just another whine with "Eh?" added at the end.

> I don't believe that is strictly true.
>
> However it seems those Canadian comedians & performing artists with any
> talent migrate south of the border. There is an extensive list, which to
> name a few, includes Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Jim Carrey, Tommy Chong,
> Dave Foley, Michael J. Fox, Phil Hartman, Rich Little, Norm MacDonald,
> Howie Mandel, Lorne Michaels, Rick Moranis, Mike Meyers, Leslie Nielsen,
> Seth Rogan, and so on.
>
> ...and they manage to get laughs without a "whine" or "eh" punctuation.

I see Brucie's lack of knowledge and tendency to bluster is not limited
to things photographic.

--
Peter