Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Are there any differences between 'Synplicity VHDL compiler, v1.0, b. 074R' and GHDL compiler?

Are there any differences between 'Synplicity VHDL compiler, v1.0, b. 074R' and GHDL compiler?

Merciadri Luca

backhus

On 13 Okt., 12:00, Merciadri Luca <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Hi,
Synplicity(now owned by Synopsys) tools (namely Synplify) are for
synthesis. They have a comercial license.
GHDL is an open source simulation tool.

Have a nice synthesis
Eilert

Merciadri Luca

> Hi,
> Synplicity(now owned by Synopsys) tools (namely Synplify) are for
> synthesis. They have a comercial license.
> GHDL is an open source simulation tool.

Yes, but do they do the same things? Is one more limited than another?

> Have a nice synthesis

Thanks!

- --
Merciadri Luca
- --
- --

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it
today. (Abraham Lincoln)

Chris Higgs

On Oct 14, 8:13*am, Merciadri Luca <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Yes, but do they do the same things? Is one more limited than another?

They will certainly be different. Finding out what the specific
differences, limitations and bugs are may be near impossible though!

In theory the VHDL LRM (Language Reference Manual) provides sufficient
information for all compilers to behave identically (assuming they are
LRM compliant) regardless of the underlying implementation details.
Tool vendors will usually claim compliance to a particular version of
the standard with certain exceptions. AFAIK no tool vendors fully
support VHDL-2008 yet.

In practice, you will find that certain tools require work-arounds to
navigate deficiencies and bugs. The way the Xilinx tools handle
libraries and record types appears to be a poorly executed
afterthought, though the new parser improves matters slightly. All
tools have their own niggles and foibles to discover - not always a
fun experience.

Chris

KJ

> > Hi,
> > Synplicity(now owned by Synopsys) tools (namely Synplify) are for
> > synthesis. They have a comercial license.
> > GHDL is an open source simulation tool.

> Yes, but do they do the same things? Is one more limited than another?
>
> > Have a nice synthesis

Perhaps take 30 minutes and read up about what the different tools
do. One hint: Synplify and GHDL perform completely different tasks.
The only common element is that the input is VHDL.

KJ

Merciadri Luca