Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Recomendations: Multifunction laser Colour printers

Re: Recomendations: Multifunction laser Colour printers

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> Hi all,
>
> I currently have a Brother MFC3240 - Inkjet colour Copy/Scan/Fax/print
> printer about 6 years old. Usage is home/office where I would print
> about 20 pages a week mostly of text/spreadsheet work but the
> occasional photo. The current issues I have are that 'normal' print
> quality degrades quickly - it needs the cleaning function to be run
> about every 2 weeks and the back cartridge only lasts 6-8 weeks.
>
> In addition to this the Brother software to drive the printer only
> works if the printer is directly connected to the box running the
> Brother software. I have a small home network and want the printer
> available to all machines (2X XP, 1XWin7) at all times. Connecting
> the printer to a machine and sharing it requires the host machine to
> be powered up. I have an ADSL router that has provision for a 'print
> server'. This works well but the Brother driver software cant see it
> (possibly the print server is uni-directional). Consequently to
> invoke cleaning and use the fax requires the use of the printer front
> panel - far from desirable.
>
> Casting around for alternatives, it seems most printers
> (multifunction or not) have either Ethernet or wifi (or both) options
> - implying that the vendors software will drive the printer on a
> network - and both are bi-directional
>
> A colour laser multifunction printer would eliminate the need for
> frequent cleaning and therefore improve the print quality an
> consistency. I also believe the cost per page printed is less.
> However I wonder whether the cheap (under, say $600) multifunction
> lasers are good enough to compete with inkjets on quality of output
> and reliability.
>
> Consumer NZ has a test of multifunction printers but all of them are
> inkjets.
>
> Thanks in advance for all help.

What squiggle said - I don't think you'll get good photo printing with
a colour laser at this point in time.

Apart from that, I have a canon multifunction inkjet (no fax) that works
very well indeed plugged into an ordinary router 10/100 lan port (rather
than one of those usb printer server ports that some routers come with).
had to install the drivers on each computer, but each 'puter can access
the printer when the router is on, independed of any other computer.

Usage here is 3-20 pages a week, I've had the thing for going on two
years now and yet to do a realignment or headclean. We've burned through
several sets of cartridges but they seem to last well. There's a
separate black text cartridge from the photo mode one. Very very
low maintenance, other than feeding it some fresh paper from time to
time.

It works considerably better than the HP I had previously (horrid software
and miserable photo printing on non photo paper -- the canon is brilliant
by comparison even printing photos on ordinary xerox paper). Personally
I'd stay well clear of Brother and Lexmark, but that's anybody's own
choice I guess. My experience of Epsom is that they turn out very nice printers
that stay nice so long as they get used constantly. Leave one off for a couple
of weeks and it turns into a dog with clogged heads that won't be cleaned
in many cycles ... blah blah. I just don't recommend them any more.

-P.

William Brown

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:33:32 +1300, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]

>several sets of cartridges but they seem to last well. There's a
>separate black text cartridge from the photo mode one. Very very
>low maintenance, other than feeding it some fresh paper from time to
>time.
>
>It works considerably better than the HP I had previously (horrid software
>and miserable photo printing on non photo paper -- the canon is brilliant
>by comparison even printing photos on ordinary xerox paper). Personally
>I'd stay well clear of Brother and Lexmark, but that's anybody's own
>choice I guess. My experience of Epsom is that they turn out very nice printers
>that stay nice so long as they get used constantly. Leave one off for a couple
>of weeks and it turns into a dog with clogged heads that won't be cleaned
>in many cycles ... blah blah. I just don't recommend them any more.

For Top Photo printing the Epson is the Only one, for one thing its not
a Bubble jet like all the others.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> So far all responses have pointed out the superior print quality of
> inkjets and this is hard to ignore when coupled with your experiences
> with the cannon above. So I am considering staying with an inkjet.
> What model Cannon do you have?-.

MP 970 is the one I have.

cheers, -P.