Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Quickbooks: how to change GST without paying to upgrade

Quickbooks: how to change GST without paying to upgrade

victor

On 15/10/2010 12:05 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message<i96ju8$anq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest looking for something your accountant had at least heard of
>> and preferably used regularly.

> What would accountants know about software?

They know that the cost of the software is deductible

Boppy

On Oct 13, 7:08*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <ef78bad3-a5a4-4557-93b2-2effbeb978a3
> @m35g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>

> > Hi guys, does anyone here use Quickbooks? I have 09/10 installed and
> > the instructions to change or add a new do not work. No matter how
> > many times I set a new GST rate of 15% QB only applies a 12.5% tax
> > rate on my items.

> Should work, even on *really old* QB's. *You need to make a new tax rate
> (I assume you've done that OK). *But you also need to make new "items" -
> eg if you had an item called SERVICE, you need to make a new one eg
> "SERVICES", and set that up with the new tax code. All *your existing
> items you invoice out need to be "remade" - the new ones using the new
> tax rate. *That way, you can still produce invoices prior to Oct 1 (and
> I don't know that you can change the existing items anyway (but you'd
> need to check that yourself).
>
> > Quicken tells me I have to spend $250 for an update to the 2010/11
> > version as the patch they have developed does not work on any earlier
> > versions.

> The update won't fix your problem, IMO. *It will simply update it's GST
> reporting - ???
>
> --
> Duncan.

Thanks Duncan but no go.
I created a new service at the nett rate of $20. Gave it the new GST
rate of 15% and it still only makes the gross rate $22.50.
Weird.
Jo

Boppy

On Oct 15, 12:05*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <i96ju8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor wrote:
>
> > I'd suggest looking for something your accountant had at least heard of
> > and preferably used regularly.

> What would accountants know about software?

I need to use the same software that my accountant has so he can pick
up my files and use them each year.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Boppy
wrote:

> I need to use the same software that my accountant has so he can pick
> up my files and use them each year.

That doesn’t require you to be using the same software, it requires the both
of you to be using software that can interchange data according to open,
standard formats.

Like OFX <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Financial_Exchange>, QIF
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_Format>, that kind of
thing.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i96qsr$3a6$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor wrote:

> On 15/10/2010 12:05 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message<i96ju8$anq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor wrote:
>>
>>> I'd suggest looking for something your accountant had at least heard of
>>> and preferably used regularly.

>> What would accountants know about software?

> They know that the cost of the software is deductible

Wonder why the OP is so reluctant to simply stump up the cost, then, if it’s
such a small deal.

Oh, wait, could it be because it’s only deductable off _taxable income_,
which is not the same as being deductable off _tax_?

Boppy

On Oct 15, 2:12*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <i96qsr$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor wrote:

> >> What would accountants know about software?

> > They know that the cost of the software is deductible

> Wonder why the OP is so reluctant to simply stump up the cost, then, if its
> such a small deal.
>
> Oh, wait, could it be because its only deductable off _taxable income_,
> which is not the same as being deductable off _tax_?

No smartarse it's because I have higher priorities to spend my
disposable income on than helping be the government's unpaid tax
collector.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Boppy
wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2:12 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand>
> wrote:

>>> They know that the cost of the software is deductible

>> Wonder why the OP is so reluctant to simply stump up the cost, then, if
>> it’s such a small deal.
>>
>> Oh, wait, could it be because it’s only deductable off _taxable income_,
>> which is not the same as being deductable off _tax_?

> No smartarse it's because I have higher priorities to spend my
> disposable income on than helping be the government's unpaid tax
> collector.

But that didn’t stop you buying the software in the first place.

Boppy

On Oct 15, 7:35*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Boppy
> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 15, 2:12 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand>
> > wrote:

> >> Wonder why the OP is so reluctant to simply stump up the cost, then, if
> >> its such a small deal.

> >> Oh, wait, could it be because its only deductable off _taxable income_,
> >> which is not the same as being deductable off _tax_?

> > No smartarse it's because I have higher priorities to spend my
> > disposable income on than helping be the government's unpaid tax
> > collector.

> But that didnt stop you buying the software in the first place.

I didn't. It came with the business.

Dave Doe

In article <b39c66f5-f642-4c44-96a6-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> On Oct 13, 7:08*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <ef78bad3-a5a4-4557-93b2-2effbeb978a3
> > @m35g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >

> > > Hi guys, does anyone here use Quickbooks? I have 09/10 installed and
> > > the instructions to change or add a new do not work. No matter how
> > > many times I set a new GST rate of 15% QB only applies a 12.5% tax
> > > rate on my items.

> > Should work, even on *really old* QB's. *You need to make a new tax rate
> > (I assume you've done that OK). *But you also need to make new "items" -
> > eg if you had an item called SERVICE, you need to make a new one eg
> > "SERVICES", and set that up with the new tax code. All *your existing
> > items you invoice out need to be "remade" - the new ones using the new
> > tax rate. *That way, you can still produce invoices prior to Oct 1 (and
> > I don't know that you can change the existing items anyway (but you'd
> > need to check that yourself).
> >
> > > Quicken tells me I have to spend $250 for an update to the 2010/11
> > > version as the patch they have developed does not work on any earlier
> > > versions.

> > The update won't fix your problem, IMO. *It will simply update it's GST
> > reporting - ???
> >
> > --
> > Duncan.

> Thanks Duncan but no go.
> I created a new service at the nett rate of $20. Gave it the new GST
> rate of 15% and it still only makes the gross rate $22.50.
> Weird.
> Jo

Weird alright - works for me.

--
Duncan.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Boppy
wrote:

> On Oct 15, 7:35 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand>
> wrote:
>
>> But that didn’t stop you buying the software in the first place.

> I didn't. It came with the business.

Well, now you have to make a choice. The fundamental business model for
proprietary software companies involves you paying them money for the
software, so any excuse they can come up with for you to pay them more money
is never going to be overlooked. The change in GST rate was a case in point:
they’d have been fools to forego that chance to charge you more money. Can
you blame them?

Now, you can knuckle under, stump up the extra cash, and pretend this whole
thing never happened. Or you can switch in disgust to another proprietary
software product. But you’ll still have to shell out more money. And leave
yourself open to another company doing the same sort of thing to you in
future. (And mark my words, they will.)

Or you can look at Free Software alternatives. It’s not a route for those
accustomed to having their answers handed to them on a plate—it requires you
to take more responsibility for yourself. But on the plus side, no one can
ever screw you like Quickbooks has done.