Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Michael Salziechner's Dead/Hot Pixel Test

Michael Salziechner's Dead/Hot Pixel Test

Man-wai Chang

Could we trust this old program?

Is there online test that does the same thing?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.7

DanP

On Oct 12, 3:28*pm, Man-wai Chang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Could we trust this old program?
>
> Is there online test that does the same thing?
>
> --
> * *@~@ * Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
> * / v \ *Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
> /( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) *Linux 2.6.35.7
> * *^ ^ * 19:38:01 up 12 days 20:55 1 user load average: 1.00 1.01 1.00
> 不借貸! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa

You worry too much about the capabilties of your camera.
Go out, take pictures and if you see bad pixels then you should search
for a fix.
If there is no problem then there is no need for a fix.

DanP

Man-wai Chang

> You worry too much about the capabilties of your camera.
> Go out, take pictures and if you see bad pixels then you should search
> for a fix.
> If there is no problem then there is no need for a fix.

I guess the days of worrying about bad CMOS/CCD sensors were over...

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.7
^ ^ 00:41:01 up 13 days 1:58 1 user load average: 1.00 1.01 1.02

Rich

On Oct 12, 12:42*pm, Man-wai Chang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > You worry too much about the capabilties of your camera.
> > Go out, take pictures and if you see bad pixels then you should search
> > for a fix.
> > If there is no problem then there is no need for a fix.

> I guess the days of worrying about bad CMOS/CCD sensors were over...
>
> --

No...I'm sure cheaper Nikon's still have them. However, those
programs can be tuned to pick up any variance in pixel output, and can
indicated myriad flawed pixels that you really wouldn't have a problem
with in real-life scenes. Dead pixels and red pixels, visible clearly
in normal (best to do a night shot) photos are what you have to worry
about. Dark-framing in-camera gets rid of problems having to do with
hot pixels that only appear on longer exposures.

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Oct 12, 12:42*pm, Man-wai Chang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > You worry too much about the capabilties of your camera.
>> > Go out, take pictures and if you see bad pixels then you should search
>> > for a fix.
>> > If there is no problem then there is no need for a fix.

>> I guess the days of worrying about bad CMOS/CCD sensors were over...
>>
>> --

>No...I'm sure cheaper Nikon's still have them.

All new Nikon DSLRs now have CMOS sensors and dead/hot pixels are
mostly a thing of the past.

The last Nikon DSLR with a CCD was the D3000. This model has just
been discontinued, having been replaced by the CMOS-equipped D3100.

The D5000 has also just been discontinued but that model had a CMOS
sensor. Currently, no replacement has been announced.

Rich

On Oct 12, 7:36*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I guess the days of worrying about bad CMOS/CCD sensors were over...

> >> --

> >No...I'm sure cheaper Nikon's still have them. *

> All new Nikon DSLRs now have CMOS sensors and dead/hot pixels are
> mostly a thing of the past. *

What was in the D90? I saw three of them with dead pixels. I always
figured Nikon was cherry-picking the sensors for the D300.

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Oct 12, 7:36*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >No...I'm sure cheaper Nikon's still have them. *

>> All new Nikon DSLRs now have CMOS sensors and dead/hot pixels are
>> mostly a thing of the past. *
>>

>What was in the D90?

Sony CMOS.

>I saw three of them with dead pixels.

If anyone was going to see dead pixels, it would be you.

>I always
>figured Nikon was cherry-picking the sensors for the D300.

Of course.

Just as Leica Camera cherry-picks the sensors for the X1 (they are
basically the same sensors).