Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Turn off "Search for text when I start typing"?

Turn off "Search for text when I start typing"?

John Doe

There is an option in Accessibility that is supposed to control
whether to search for text before enter is pressed, that does not
seem to work. It is unchecked, but Firefox searches with every
keystroke. Is there a way to turn off that. I use speech recognition
and copy and paste, so I know what is going in a search box ahead of
time and do not need every character sequence searched for.

Thanks.

--
Firefox rocks

Ralph Fox

On 12 Oct 2010 02:37:22 GMT, in message <4cb3c9e2$0$7477$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>
John Doe wrote:

> There is an option in Accessibility that is supposed to control
> whether to search for text before enter is pressed, that does not
> seem to work. It is unchecked, but Firefox searches with every
> keystroke. Is there a way to turn off that. I use speech recognition
> and copy and paste, so I know what is going in a search box ahead of
> time and do not need every character sequence searched for.

1. Go to http://kb.mozillazine.org/
2. Under "Firefox", click the link "Frequently encountered issues
and how to fix them"
3. Click the link "Find bar opens when typing in textbox"
and read.

If the first item under "Other solutions" does not work for
you, try the other solutions.

--
Regards
Ralph

John Doe

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz- -.invalid> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>
>> There is an option in Accessibility that is supposed to control
>> whether to search for text before enter is pressed, that does
>> not seem to work. It is unchecked, but Firefox searches with
>> every keystroke. Is there a way to turn off that. I use speech
>> recognition and copy and paste, so I know what is going in a
>> search box ahead of time and do not need every character
>> sequence searched for.

> 1. Go to http://kb.mozillazine.org/
> 2. Under "Firefox", click the link "Frequently encountered issues
> and how to fix them"
> 3. Click the link "Find bar opens when typing in textbox"
> and read.

Maybe I did not explain properly... I was talking about searching
for text in the Find dialog box. The Find dialog box is already
open. When I start entering text, it searches for every letter as
they are entered. I would rather it wait until I finish typing
(actually speaking or pasting text), for it to wait until I press
Enter before it starts searching. If I am not mistaken, the
Accessibility option "Search for text when I start typing" is
supposed to control that, but it does not change the behavior.

That is a small problem, Firefox rocks, I am just checking to see
if there is a solution.