Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Windows activation after M/B replacement

Re: Windows activation after M/B replacement

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4cab23e5$0$11099$(E-Mail Removed)>, qmod wrote:

> Is it me (done something wrong) or has Microsoft changed things when
> doing a repair installation after replacing the motherboard/cpu
> combination

Technically, it’s not the same PC any more. When you get a PC with OEM
Windows preinstalled, the licence is only valid for that PC, you can’t
transfer it to another one.

PeeCee

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" wrote in message news:i8tvev$28g$(E-Mail Removed)...

In message <4cab23e5$0$11099$(E-Mail Removed)>, qmod wrote:

> Is it me (done something wrong) or has Microsoft changed things when
> doing a repair installation after replacing the motherboard/cpu
> combination

Technically, it’s not the same PC any more. When you get a PC with OEM
Windows preinstalled, the licence is only valid for that PC, you can’t
transfer it to another one.

Technically correct from what I can see, but this site:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

suggests there may still be a legitimate interpretation allowing a M/B
change for 'some' machines:

<quote>
Quoted from MS System Builders
"If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to
acquire a new operating system license for the PC. The replacement
motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer’s
replacement/equivalent."
A system builder it seems would determine what constitutes as a qualifying
motherboard"
</quote>

i.e. If an OEM supplies a M/B that goes (say) 'unavailable' when the M/B
fails then it would seem entirely reasonable to supply something equivalent
and for the OEM to certify it as complying.
If this means crossing a Brand / CPU / Motherboard / Architecture generation
boundary then I don't see any problem if the new MB does the 'Equivalent'
job.

Besides that I haven't seen anywhere that the Motherboard the COA is tied to
has to be working, maybe one could just screw it to the inside of the case,
or even shred it and leave it in a plastic bag inside.

FWIW

Paul.

Rod Speed

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
> qmod wrote

>> Is it me (done something wrong) or has Microsoft changed things when
>> doing a repair installation after replacing the motherboard/cpu combination

> Technically, it's not the same PC any more.

Wrong when its just the motherboard that is changed.

> When you get a PC with OEM Windows preinstalled,

Irrelevant to the situation where that isnt the case.

> the licence is only valid for that PC,

There is no 'licence' whatever MS claims.

You bought a product at retail and whatever MS claims, you are
legally entitled to have that continue to work even if the motherboard
does need to be changed when it fails or you upgrade it etc.

> you can't transfer it to another one.

Wrong. MS doesnt get to write consumer law in this country.

As the purported 'licence agreement' says very explicitly.

Rod Speed

PeeCee wrote
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
>> qmod wrote

>>> Is it me (done something wrong) or has Microsoft changed things when
>>> doing a repair installation after replacing the motherboard/cpu combination

>> Technically, it's not the same PC any more. When you get a PC with OEM
>> Windows preinstalled, the licence is only valid for that PC, you can't
>> transfer it to another one.

> Technically correct from what I can see,

Nope, not in this country.

> but this site:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

> suggests there may still be a legitimate interpretation allowing a M/B change for 'some' machines:

Legally its true of all machines in this country.

> <quote>
> Quoted from MS System Builders
> "If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for
> the PC.

Correct.

> The replacement motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent."

Wrong in this country legally.

> A system builder it seems would determine what constitutes as a qualifying motherboard"

Nope, the law does in this country.

> </quote>

> i.e. If an OEM supplies a M/B that goes (say) 'unavailable' when the
> M/B fails then it would seem entirely reasonable to supply something
> equivalent and for the OEM to certify it as complying.

And the law in this country doesnt require anything like that.

> If this means crossing a Brand / CPU / Motherboard / Architecture
> generation boundary then I don't see any problem if the new MB does
> the 'Equivalent' job.

Doesnt need to do an equivalent job by law in this country.

ALL it needs to do is work.

> Besides that I haven't seen anywhere that the Motherboard the COA is
> tied to has to be working, maybe one could just screw it to the
> inside of the case, or even shred it and leave it in a plastic bag
> inside.

Dont need to do anything like that legally.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rod Speed wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
>
>> qmod wrote

>>> Is it me (done something wrong) or has Microsoft changed things when
>>> doing a repair installation after replacing the motherboard/cpu
>>> combination

>> Technically, it's not the same PC any more.

> Wrong when its just the motherboard that is changed.

But the motherboard is the essence of the PC.

>> When you get a PC with OEM Windows preinstalled,
>> the licence is only valid for that PC,

> There is no 'licence' whatever MS claims.

If there is no “licence”, then you have no permission to use the software,
since the licence is the only thing that grants that.

> You bought a product at retail and whatever MS claims, you are
> legally entitled to have that continue to work even if the motherboard
> does need to be changed when it fails or you upgrade it etc.

But the only thing that legally entitles you to that is the licence. If that
is invalid, then you have no entitlement.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i8uf6n$usq$(E-Mail Removed)>, PeeCee wrote:

> Besides that I haven't seen anywhere that the Motherboard the COA is tied
> to has to be working ...

Well, there is the fact that Windows itself is checking for it.

atec77

> In message<i8uf6n$usq$(E-Mail Removed)>, PeeCee wrote:
>
>> Besides that I haven't seen anywhere that the Motherboard the COA is tied
>> to has to be working ...

> Well, there is the fact that Windows itself is checking for it.

taking only seconds to stop
are you in the employ or an agent of Microsoft ?

--

Rod Speed

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
>>> qmod wrote

>>> Technically, it's not the same PC any more.

>> Wrong when its just the motherboard that is changed.

> But the motherboard is the essence of the PC.

Wrong, the cpu is if anything is.

>>> When you get a PC with OEM Windows preinstalled,
>>> the licence is only valid for that PC,

>> There is no 'licence' whatever MS claims.

> If there is no "licence", then you have no permission to use the
> software, since the licence is the only thing that grants that.

Wrong again, the law is what grants that when you buy the PC.

>> You bought a product at retail and whatever MS claims, you are
>> legally entitled to have that continue to work even if the motherboard
>> does need to be changed when it fails or you upgrade it etc.

> But the only thing that legally entitles you to that is the licence.

Wrong, as always. Its the sale that allows you to use the OS.

> If that is invalid, then you have no entitlement.

Wrong, as always. Under Australian and NZ law, its the retail
sale that legally allows you to use that OS and the hardware.

And that is precisely what the purported 'licence' actually says
too, it clearly says that the law overrides whats in the purported
'licence' which the buyer of the PC never signed up to anyway.

Rod Speed

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
> PeeCee wrote

>> Besides that I haven't seen anywhere that the
>> Motherboard the COA is tied to has to be working ...

> Well, there is the fact that Windows itself is checking for it.

No it doesnt in the sense that it checks a serial number etc.

peterwn

On Oct 11, 10:30*pm, "Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> PeeCee wrote
>
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro *wrote
> >> qmod wrote
> >> Technically, it's not the same PC any more. When you get a PC with OEM
> >> Windows preinstalled, the licence is only valid for that PC, you can't
> >> transfer it to another one.

> > Technically correct from what I can see,

> Nope, not in this country.

Which country are you referring to mate? I thought you were in Oz.