Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telstra: Avoid The Iphone

Reply
Thread Tools

Telstra: Avoid The Iphone

 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2010
Telstra’s CTO advises companies not to put too many eggs in the Iphone
basket
<http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/telecommunications/time-to-ditch-the-iphone-as-android-is-the-future-telstra>.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bystander
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2010
In article <i8tr6l$vib$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> Telstra’s CTO advises companies not to put too many eggs in the Iphone
> basket
> <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...ditch-the-ipho
> ne-as-android-is-the-future-telstra>.


Exactly the sort of self-serving bullshit you might expect from a telco
executive. Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For customers,
not so much...
--
Bystander
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2010
In message <i919u0$vh4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bystander wrote:

> Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For customers, not so much...


Why should that be? There’s plenty of choice in Android phones, and it
continues to increase all the time. It’s up to customers to be aware what
they’re getting.

Consider: replace “Android” with “Windows”, and “telcos” with “PC Makers”:

Windows means plenty of freedom for PC Makers. For customers, not so
much...

Is this more or less true than your original statement?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2010
On 13/10/2010 7:32 a.m., whoisthis threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> In article <i919u0$vh4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Bystander <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <i8tr6l$vib$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>
>>> Telstra’s CTO advises companies not to put too many eggs in the Iphone
>>> basket
>>> <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...o-ditch-the-ip
>>> ho
>>> ne-as-android-is-the-future-telstra>.

>>
>> Exactly the sort of self-serving bullshit you might expect from a telco
>> executive. Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For customers,
>> not so much...

>
> And Verizon is the USA is desperately wanting the iPhone.


iPhone4 vs HTC Evo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

HTC EVO vs iPhone4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac

sums up both side really.
 
Reply With Quote
 
William Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2010
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:00:55 +1300, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 13/10/2010 7:32 a.m., whoisthis threw some characters down the intarwebs:
>> In article <i919u0$vh4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Bystander <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <i8tr6l$vib$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Telstra’s CTO advises companies not to put too many eggs in the Iphone
>>>> basket
>>>> <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...o-ditch-the-ip
>>>> ho
>>>> ne-as-android-is-the-future-telstra>.
>>>
>>> Exactly the sort of self-serving bullshit you might expect from a telco
>>> executive. Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For customers,
>>> not so much...

>>
>> And Verizon is the USA is desperately wanting the iPhone.

>
>iPhone4 vs HTC Evo
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
>
>HTC EVO vs iPhone4
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac
>
>sums up both side really.




Well a Top communications Programmer that I know Imported a HTC Evo from
the UK, some thing that he can program on it or some thing like that,
seems like is not a Bundled Phone like the iPhone4 is.


There are a few reports on the Net that the iPhone 4 should be recalled,
as it has a high failure rate.
 
Reply With Quote
 
William Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2010
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:02:33 +1300, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:00:55 +1300, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >On 13/10/2010 7:32 a.m., whoisthis threw some characters down the intarwebs:
>> >> In article <i919u0$vh4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> >> Bystander <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> In article <i8tr6l$vib$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>> >>>
>> >>>> Telstra’s CTO advises companies not to put too many eggs in the Iphone
>> >>>> basket
>> >>>> <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...e-to-ditch-the
>> >>>> -ip
>> >>>> ho
>> >>>> ne-as-android-is-the-future-telstra>.
>> >>>
>> >>> Exactly the sort of self-serving bullshit you might expect from a telco
>> >>> executive. Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For customers,
>> >>> not so much...
>> >>
>> >> And Verizon is the USA is desperately wanting the iPhone.
>> >
>> >iPhone4 vs HTC Evo
>> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
>> >
>> >HTC EVO vs iPhone4
>> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac
>> >
>> >sums up both side really.

>>
>>
>>
>> Well a Top communications Programmer that I know Imported a HTC Evo from
>> the UK, some thing that he can program on it or some thing like that,
>> seems like is not a Bundled Phone like the iPhone4 is.

>
>HUH ???, that makes no sense.



May be not to you.

>>
>>
>> There are a few reports on the Net that the iPhone 4 should be recalled,
>> as it has a high failure rate.

>
>No, there are bunch of people starting a new conspiracy and have it
>legitimised by simply quoting each other.




You are Wrong go do some reading..

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Empson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2010
whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:02:33 +1300, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > > William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >
> > >> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:00:55 +1300, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > >> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> >On 13/10/2010 7:32 a.m., whoisthis threw some characters down the
> > >> >intarwebs:
> > >> >> In article <i919u0$vh4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > >> >> Bystander <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >> >>
> > >> >>> In article <i8tr6l$vib$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > >> >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> > >> >>>
> > >> >>>> Telstra's CTO advises companies not to put too many eggs in
> > >> >>>> the Iphone basket
> > >> >>>> <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...tions/time-to-
> > >> >>>> ditch- the -ip ho ne-as-android-is-the-future-telstra>.
> > >> >>>
> > >> >>> Exactly the sort of self-serving bullshit you might expect from a
> > >> >>> telco executive. Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For
> > >> >>> customers, not so much...
> > >> >>
> > >> >> And Verizon is the USA is desperately wanting the iPhone.
> > >> >
> > >> >iPhone4 vs HTC Evo
> > >> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
> > >> >
> > >> >HTC EVO vs iPhone4
> > >> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac
> > >> >
> > >> >sums up both side really.
> > >>
> > >> Well a Top communications Programmer that I know Imported a HTC Evo from
> > >> the UK, some thing that he can program on it or some thing like that,
> > >> seems like is not a Bundled Phone like the iPhone4 is.
> > >
> > >HUH ???, that makes no sense.

> >
> > May be not to you.

>
> No trust me, the above make no sense at all.


I'll second that. "Bundled Phone"? Bundled with what, and what does that
have to do with programming?

--
David Empson
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bystander
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2010
In article <i91dcr$244$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> In message <i919u0$vh4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bystander wrote:
>
> > Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For customers, not so much...

>
> Why should that be? There’s plenty of choice in Android phones, and it
> continues to increase all the time. It’s up to customers to be aware what
> they’re getting.
>
> Consider: replace “Android” with “Windows”, and “telcos” with “PC Makers”:
>
> Windows means plenty of freedom for PC Makers. For customers, not so
> much...
>
> Is this more or less true than your original statement?


How amusing that you've attempted to shift the terms of the argument.
Telcos are not strictly analogous to PC makers; unlike telcos, PC makers
don't generate a constant income flow from the use of their machines --
they are largely reconciled to the notion that once a PC leaves their
factory gates, that's about it for the profit that machine will generate.

On the other hand, telcos are clipping the ticket all the time, which is
why there are reports coming from the US of dismayed Android geeks
finding that the phones they've root-kitted (in order to do such things
as removing unwanted shovelware and intrusive branding loaded on by
their friendly telco) have magically unrooted themselves soon after,
thanks to cute firmware modifications.

As far as Google is concerned, end-users are the product, not the
customers. The real Android customers are the advertisers who want
maximum delivery of eyeballs. Which in turn are provided by Google
catering as cravenly as possible to telcos to ensure maximum
distribution of a Google-devised "free" OS.

It may be true that Google is itself getting bitten in the bum by cheeky
telcos who have done such things as replacing Google Search with Bing,
but the principle that the individual Android end-user is a mere
commodity rather than a customer still holds.

In only three years have we forgotten what a revolutionary step it was
when Apple forced the telcos to agree to support a phone that gave
customers what they, rather than the telcos, wanted? Have we forgotten
what a pathetic pain in the arse devices like the Nokia 9300 or Treo
700wx were? Symbian? Windows Mobile 5?

I like the iPhone walled garden -- actually it's more like a walled
national park in size and variety. The 3G and 4 iPhones I've had have
both worked impeccably, and the range of software available on them is
astounding.

And at least if I decided to root-kit my iPhone I could be confident it
would stay rooted.
--
Bystander
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2010
In message <i95il5$ff0$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bystander wrote:

> In only three years have we forgotten what a revolutionary step it was
> when Apple forced the telcos to agree to support a phone that gave
> customers what they, rather than the telcos, wanted?


“Telco”, singular, not “telcos”. Apple’s approach only seems to work by
offering exclusivity to one network in each major market.

Maybe that’s why it’s not considered such a “revolutionary step”.

> Have we forgotten what a pathetic pain in the arse devices like the Nokia
> 9300 or Treo 700wx were? Symbian? Windows Mobile 5?


Or what a pathetic pain in the arse AT&T’s network is. Yet people in the US
stick with it, because that’s the only way they can get the Iphone.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bystander
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2010
In article <i95j4m$g11$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> In message <i95il5$ff0$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bystander wrote:
>
> > In only three years have we forgotten what a revolutionary step it was
> > when Apple forced the telcos to agree to support a phone that gave
> > customers what they, rather than the telcos, wanted?

>
> “Telco”, singular, not “telcos”. Apple’s approach only seems to work by
> offering exclusivity to one network in each major market.
>


Except in many European countries, parts of Asia and possibly soon, the
US, if Verizon plays along.
>
> Maybe that’s why it’s not considered such a “revolutionary step”.
>
> > Have we forgotten what a pathetic pain in the arse devices like the Nokia
> > 9300 or Treo 700wx were? Symbian? Windows Mobile 5?

>
> Or what a pathetic pain in the arse AT&T’s network is. Yet people in the US
> stick with it, because that’s the only way they can get the Iphone.


Oh for ****'s sake. I really don't give a toss what they have to put up
with in the US, I usually only visit there every year or two. Last time
I was there I dropped one call in LA, which was nothing compared to the
shock I got when I got home and saw my roaming charges for that month.
In Auckland -- no dropped calls, ever.

I don't understand why AT&T matters to you in the slightest, though.

I'm coming to agree with those on another recent thread here -- your
arguments are such *******s because you're a tedious nutter with some
childish chip on your shoulder. Consider yourself filtered, you pathetic
self-obsessed Asperger's victim.
--
Bystander
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy Lrg Sidekick 3 iphone 8gb Sidekick Lx iphone 4gb Sergio Harem Ruby 0 01-17-2008 03:01 AM



Advertisments