Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: What do we use for typing?

Re: What do we use for typing?

Enkidu

On 11/10/10 13:13, Robert Cooze wrote:
> After many years of computer use, I still prefer the old clunky
> keyboard I salvaged many years ago about 1998. I may have rescued the
> keyboard then, I think it may be a 80's board from around the time of
> the 286. it is not a "IBM Model M" but has lasted the distance.
>
> I did have a USB keyboard that I just cut the cord off and put it in
> the bin had a nice feel but trying to type for any length of time was
> imposable as the keys would start to stick after several key strokes
> most noticeably the space key (also key-markings wore off). The
> question today is what do you find works.
>
> Do we even need a good keyboard now? or is a good gamers keyboard a
> good typist keyboard?

I use microsoft keyboards. A bit more expensive and srouting all sorts
of extra buttons, but the quality is a lot better than the $12
keyboards. I've had the current one about 5 years.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccol di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

PeeCee

"Enkidu" wrote in message news:4cb2588c$(E-Mail Removed)...

On 11/10/10 13:13, Robert Cooze wrote:
> After many years of computer use, I still prefer the old clunky
> keyboard I salvaged many years ago about 1998. I may have rescued the
> keyboard then, I think it may be a 80's board from around the time of
> the 286. it is not a "IBM Model M" but has lasted the distance.
>
> I did have a USB keyboard that I just cut the cord off and put it in
> the bin had a nice feel but trying to type for any length of time was
> imposable as the keys would start to stick after several key strokes
> most noticeably the space key (also key-markings wore off). The
> question today is what do you find works.
>
> Do we even need a good keyboard now? or is a good gamers keyboard a
> good typist keyboard?

I use microsoft keyboards. A bit more expensive and srouting all sorts
of extra buttons, but the quality is a lot better than the $12
keyboards. I've had the current one about 5 years.

<snip>

Yep good old IBM keyboards, though I find my one's are starting to wear out
and I prefer my Logitec Illuminated Keyboard

mmmmm can't say I agree when it comes to recent MS Keyboard/Mice.
Currently Logitec is streets ahead in quality (and battery life for
wireless)
This is based on feedback from clients not just my own use.
Best webcam is also Logitec. (Webcam Pro 9000)

FWIW
Paul.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i8ufop$vk7$(E-Mail Removed)>, PeeCee wrote:

> I use microsoft keyboards.

The only one such I’ve used was some “multimedia” one that a client had
lying around. For some reason there was a special function-shift key that I
had to press before I could use the function keys to switch between Linux
console sessions. And since I was swapping the keyboard between two servers,
I had to do this every time after a swap.

Got very annoying.