Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > More problems for Apple's overpriced piece of s--- iPhone

More problems for Apple's overpriced piece of s--- iPhone

Rich

On Oct 11, 10:27*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:54:45 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : On Oct 11, 12:52*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : > On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:08:14 -0400, peter <(E-Mail Removed)>: > wrote:
>
> : > : On 10/10/2010 8:04 PM, Rich wrote:
> : > : > Ha ha. LOSERS! *(owners).
> : > : >
> : > : >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/...ack.cracks..cn...
> : > : >
> : > :
> : > : Uhm!
> : > :
> : > : There are still some unanswered3d questions on the table. Did you not
> : > : see them?
> : >
> : > You mean like this one?
> : >
> : > Q: *Would shattering be a problem if the iPhone's back panel were made of
> : > plastic instead of glass?
> :
> : The back panel is glass?? *If the front panel was plastic, it would
> : scratch more easily, much more easily. *Which is why (since not all
> : cameras have the option of sapphire display windows like Leica) I
> : cover the LCD's on mine with protective film.
>
> Yes, glass. It gets scratched and sometimes shatters as a result. You posted
> the original link. Didn't you read the article?
>
> Bob

It is a junk design. The glass is more thermally stable than normal
glass, but there is no mention of it being any harder or able to
resist impact any better than good old crown glass.

(CNN) -- The iPhone 4 may be an attractive gadget, but keeping it
looking good can be a high-maintenance task.

Owners of Apple's newest smartphone are 82 percent more likely than
those with older models to have their digital companions damaged in
the first four months they own them, according to a report by
SquareTrade.

The company, which sells warranties for electronics products, examined
about 22,000 reports from its customers who had iPhone 4s and about
20,000 for iPhone 3G devices, which debuted in 2008.

"The iPhone 4 is a more fragile device than its predecessors," said
SquareTrade Marketing Vice President Vince Tseng. "The surface
area ... which you can scratch or break has basically doubled."

Whereas the iPhone 3G and the aesthetically identical 3GS were encased
in plastic, the iPhone 4's backside uses the same glass that covers
its screen. The original iPhone had an aluminum back.

At least a quarter of the reported damage for the iPhone 4 involved
the glass pane on the back, the SquareTrade survey said.

But Apple has expressed delight with the so-called aluminosilicate
glass it uses -- though the Cupertino, California, company didn't
immediately respond to a request for comment for this story.

"We developed a glass that's 30 times harder than plastic," Apple
Chief Steve Jobs said onstage during the unveiling of the iPhone 4.
The company has also said it's "20 times stiffer than plastic."

The glass is "comparable in strength to sapphire crystal," Jonathan
Ive, Apple's senior vice president of industrial design, said in an
online marketing video.

Some reports have indicated that Apple's use of glass on the iPhone
4's back has posed a problem for customers using protective cases.

When Apple announced it would give away free cases to help customers
with cellular signal issues, Jobs said fewer third-party manufacturers
offered cases at the product's launch. If fewer iPhone 4 owners are
protecting their devices, then that could explain the increase in
damage, said Tseng of SquareTrade.

"Some customers didn't want to use a protective case," Tseng observed,
based on reports, "because they wanted to admire the beautiful
backside of the iPhone 4."

-hh

> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > GM cars are more reliable than Eurotrash yuppies all drive.

> OK! I'll concede the new Buick Regal GS is quite interesting,
> considering it is a rebadged Opel Insignia OPC built on the GM Epsilon
> II platform.
>
> ...and it will be built in Germany and China. We will get ours as soon
> as the ship docks.

Good luck with it - - I had owned its GM predicessor (GM2900 platform)
and the simple summary was "Loved the car ... when it ran".

IIRC, 3 transmission repairs and an engine rebuild by 60K miles, none
of which were covered by warranty (how convenient), which summed to
over $7K out of pocket, before finally geting the 3rd Tranny repaired
for free, along with a partial refund on the engine rebuild from
finally-successful complaint escalations to corporate.

What caused the failures is particularly ironic for any complaint from
Rich: all of the tranny failures were due to GM/Vauxhall choosing to
use **metal** parts instead of plastic, which due to a dissimilar
metal based galvanic corrosion, created a ticking time bomb of self-
destruction obsolescence.

-hh

-hh

On Oct 13, 12:07*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
> On 2010-10-13 06:48:36 -0700, -hh <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

> > Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> >> OK! I'll concede the new Buick Regal GS is quite interesting,
> >> considering it is a rebadged Opel Insignia OPC built on the GM Epsilon
> >> II platform.

> >> ...and it will be built in Germany and China. We will get ours as soon
> >> as the ship docks.

> > Good luck with it - - I had owned its GM predicessor (GM2900 platform)
> > and the simple summary was "Loved the car ... when it ran".

> > IIRC, 3 transmission repairs and an engine rebuild by 60K miles, none
> > of which were covered by warranty (how convenient), which summed to
> > over $7K out of pocket, before finally geting the 3rd Tranny repaired
> > for free, along with a partial refund on the engine rebuild from
> > finally-successful complaint escalations to corporate.

> > What caused the failures is particularly ironic for any complaint from
> > Rich: *all of the tranny failures were due to GM/Vauxhall choosing to
> > use **metal** parts instead of plastic, which due to a dissimilar
> > metal based galvanic corrosion, created a ticking time bomb of self-
> > destruction obsolescence.

> > -hh

> Now wait a minute! I have no intention of buying a GM product
> regardless of the "Eurotrash" credentials of the new Buick/Opel. The
> "we" I referred to when I wrote "...and it will be built in Germany and
> China. We will get ours as soon as the ship docks. " was the North
> American market, not my household.

Ah, my apologies.

> I was the one who vowed never to even think about a GM product again
> after my Olds Cutlass nightmare. That led me to my mechanically
> reliable life with various Subarus, Fords, and Mercedes.
>
> My current vehicle is a 2008 Mercedes E350, which has been joyfully reliable.
>
> Anyway it is good to see you actually agree with my assessment of GM
> quality control.

....and getting "better" every day:

<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...eneral-motors-
recalls-303-100-impala-cars-for-seat-belt-malfunction-risk.html>

-hh