Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Firefox back-button disabled

Firefox back-button disabled

Dave Farrance

It seems that there's web code that can disable the back-button, on
Firefox at least. I thought that Firefox would now backpage over
redirects, but it seems that there's a way around that. Case in point:

If you go to this tinyurl-preview page and then follow the link to the LA
Times and wait for the article to completely finish loading, then the
back-button becomes disabled.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wa42pu

I wonder how they accomplished this? Does anybody recognise the technique
used? I'd like to pare it down to a test case, so that a Firefox bugfix
request might be written to stop it.

By the way, as a nasty twist, if you then backup with the recent-pages
drop-down to the tinyurl page, then go forward again to the LA Times to
test if it was a browser glitch, then they will check the cookies and
allow the back-button to work the second time around.

--
Dave Farrance

Neredbojias

On 10 Oct 2010, the varmint Dave Farrance
<(E-Mail Removed)> glyphed:

> It seems that there's web code that can disable the back-button, on
> Firefox at least. I thought that Firefox would now backpage over
> redirects, but it seems that there's a way around that. Case in
> point:
>
> If you go to this tinyurl-preview page and then follow the link to
> the LA Times and wait for the article to completely finish loading,
> then the back-button becomes disabled.
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wa42pu
>
> I wonder how they accomplished this? Does anybody recognise the
> technique used? I'd like to pare it down to a test case, so that a
> Firefox bugfix request might be written to stop it.
>
> By the way, as a nasty twist, if you then backup with the
> recent-pages drop-down to the tinyurl page, then go forward again to
> the LA Times to test if it was a browser glitch, then they will check
> the cookies and allow the back-button to work the second time around.

After checking this in all the other browsers at my disposal, Firefox
is the only one with the problem so I'd say it's a ff bug. However, I
do have cookies disabled in ff so that may have something to do with
it. No, I'm _not_ going to check with cookies enabled for reasons I
consider good; do _you_ have cookies enabled? Anyway, I still call it
a bug.

--
Neredbojias

http://www.neredbojias.org/