Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Lower the radar

Lower the radar

Gordon

http://www.joindiaspora.com/2010/09/...r-release.html

Developer Release

Today, we are releasing the source code for Diaspora. This is now a
community project and development is open to anyone with the technical
expertise who shares the vision of a social network that puts users in
control. From now on, we will be working closely with the community on
improving and solidifying Diaspora.

We began the summer with a list of technologies, a few bold claims, and the
goal of making an intrinsically more private social network. The
overwhelming response that we elicited made us realize that technology
woudn’t be enough. Even the most powerful, granular set of dropdowns and
checkboxes will never give people control over where their content is going,
let alone give them ownership of their digital self.

We live our real lives in context, speaking from whatever aspect of
ourselves that those around us know. Social tools should work the same way.
Getting the source into the hands of developers is our first experiment in
making a simple and functional tool for contextual sharing. Diaspora is in
its infancy, but our initial ideas are there.

Unquote.

1) It was a big day for them, 15 September for they released the code.

2) Now it over to anyone intertested in in what this project stands for to
join in.

3) Stand by the radar will be screaming shortly

4) Facebook will jerk awhile later.

To me this is a leap forward in philosphy, not technology. The need to
control whom you share information with. This is a fundemental leap and one
which progresses things.

We live our real lives in context, speaking from whatever aspect of
ourselves that those around us know. Social tools should work the same way.

Unquote

Another open source baby has been born. Note how this is an example of
people pitching in to produce something for the common good, something that
works the way one wants it to, something that is better. To hell with the
profit, who knows what, is far more important, and the irony is this is about
control.

Java 1.4 or 1.5 Environment Support & Radar Chart Customization sherazam Java 0 10-01-2010 09:58 AM
radar detector advice Brian Computer Support 8 09-05-2007 02:11 AM
radar history elaich Computer Support 1 06-03-2007 09:04 PM
Third-party charting: bubble & radar? JDC ASP .Net 3 03-05-2007 02:36 PM
O'REILLY radar Q206 Kroeger, Simon (ext) Ruby 1 08-10-2006 01:56 PM

Advertisments