Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > When is posting to Usenet using Google going to work again?

When is posting to Usenet using Google going to work again?

Matty F

Since 6 October 2010, instead of posting to Usenet, Google attempts to
send an email that never actually gets there.
There's no way to tell Google this, as they no longer allow posting to
their Help groups.

Matty F

On Oct 9, 11:58 am, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Since 6 October 2010, instead of posting to Usenet, Google attempts to
> send an email that never actually gets there.
> There's no way to tell Google this, as they no longer allow posting to
> their Help groups.

Ah, it works now. Thanks Google

William Brown

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 15:58:05 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since 6 October 2010, instead of posting to Usenet, Google attempts to
>send an email that never actually gets there.
>There's no way to tell Google this, as they no longer allow posting to
>their Help groups.

Why not use a Real News server

Matty F

On Oct 9, 12:48 pm, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 15:58:05 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Since 6 October 2010, instead of posting to Usenet, Google attempts to
> >send an email that never actually gets there.
> >There's no way to tell Google this, as they no longer allow posting to
> >their Help groups.

> Why not use a Real News server

Because all the ones I have used don't work any more and I'm sick of
finding new ones. Google usually works OK.

Donchano

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 12:48:23 +1300, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 15:58:05 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Since 6 October 2010, instead of posting to Usenet, Google attempts to
>>send an email that never actually gets there.
>>There's no way to tell Google this, as they no longer allow posting to
>>their Help groups.

>Why not use a Real News server

Good question.

But why would anyone use a web-based POS like Google to post/read
Usenet in the first place? Unless, of course, they had no other choice
or don't know the difference.

--

Using Google Groups for Usenet is like faxing your emails.

William Brown

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:56:56 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Oct 9, 12:48 pm, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 15:58:05 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Since 6 October 2010, instead of posting to Usenet, Google attempts to
>> >send an email that never actually gets there.
>> >There's no way to tell Google this, as they no longer allow posting to
>> >their Help groups.

>> Why not use a Real News server

>Because all the ones I have used don't work any more and I'm sick of
>finding new ones. Google usually works OK.

There are plenty that work..

Matty F

On Oct 9, 3:29 pm, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:56:56 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Oct 9, 12:48 pm, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Why not use a Real News server

> >Because all the ones I have used don't work any more and I'm sick of
> >finding new ones. Google usually works OK.

> There are plenty that work..

But then after a while they stop working.
Google works most of the time and has features that are important to
me that Usenet clients don't have. I've posted about them before so I
won't repeat them.

William Brown

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 19:51:10 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Oct 9, 3:29 pm, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:56:56 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >Because all the ones I have used don't work any more and I'm sick of
>> >finding new ones. Google usually works OK.

>> There are plenty that work..

>But then after a while they stop working.
>Google works most of the time and has features that are important to
>me that Usenet clients don't have. I've posted about them before so I
>won't repeat them.

Seems that you know very little about Usenet as no one in his right mind
uses Google as the other poster agreed with me..

Forte Agent will beet any thing that Google has to offer but it seems
to me you dont like paying for any thing...?

Matty F

On Oct 9, 8:17 pm, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 19:51:10 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Oct 9, 3:29 pm, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> There are plenty that work..

> >But then after a while they stop working.
> >Google works most of the time and has features that are important to
> >me that Usenet clients don't have. I've posted about them before so I
> >won't repeat them.

> Seems that you know very little about Usenet as no one in his right mind
> uses Google as the other poster agreed with me..
>
> Forte Agent will beet any thing that Google has to offer but it seems
> to me you dont like paying for any thing...?

I have Agent and Gravity. What I don't have is a news server that I
can use with those. New ones work for a while then they disappear.
You are right, I don't like paying for anything.I don't like giving my
credit card details out to just any shonky trader.

Rhino

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 01:07:10 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have Agent and Gravity. What I don't have is a news server that I
>can use with those. New ones work for a while then they disappear.
>You are right, I don't like paying for anything.I don't like giving my
>credit card details out to just any shonky trader.

It appears that you have at least two good news clients. Check out
www.supernews.com

I have subscribed for a reasonable fee since 1996 and had no problems.
Their retention of both text and binary posts is very good.