Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: First Eagle Shot Of The Season!!

Re: First Eagle Shot Of The Season!!

T Gail

On Sep 6, 11:26*am, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Larry Thong wrote:
> > It looks like eagle season on the East Coast is starting early this year. *I
> > wasn't ready for it, but was glad I had my trusty dSLR in hand when I
> > spotted this big guy above. *He must be an old timer as he's the biggest one
> > I've ever seen. *Anyone else spot eagles this time of year?

> > <http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm261/Ritaberk/Eagle.jpg>

> Tell it to watch out for kids with long sticks.
> Allen

LOL! Thanks for the chuckle!

me

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:37:54 -0700 (PDT), T Gail <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>LOL! Thanks for the chuckle!

Those of us further from the DC phonies' sphere of influence prefer
the real thing.

http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06+mis...3857_1024.html

http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06+mis...3858_1024.html

peter

On 10/11/2010 12:04 PM, me wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:37:54 -0700 (PDT), T Gail<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>
>> LOL! Thanks for the chuckle!

> Those of us further from the DC phonies' sphere of influence prefer
> the real thing.
>
> http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06+mis...3857_1024.html
>
> http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06+mis...3858_1024.html

Nice captures. Where did yo get them.

--
Peter

me

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:42:26 -0400, peter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 10/11/2010 12:04 PM, me wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:37:54 -0700 (PDT), T Gail<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> LOL! Thanks for the chuckle!

>> Those of us further from the DC phonies' sphere of influence prefer
>> the real thing.
>>
>> http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06+mis...3857_1024.html
>>
>> http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06+mis...3858_1024.html

>Nice captures. Where did yo get them.

Yortown, VA. Unfortunately as I walked around the tree to get into the
morning lit side a pair of women staking out a picnic table passed me
and spooked it.

peter

On 10/16/2010 10:47 AM, me wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:42:26 -0400, peter
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 10/11/2010 12:04 PM, me wrote:

>>> Those of us further from the DC phonies' sphere of influence prefer
>>> the real thing.
>>>
>>> http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06+mis...3857_1024.html
>>>
>>> http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06+mis...3858_1024.html

>> Nice captures. Where did yo get them.

> Yortown, VA. Unfortunately as I walked around the tree to get into the
> morning lit side a pair of women staking out a picnic table passed me
> and spooked it.

Bummer.

Why were you interfering with their picnic.

--
Peter

peter

On 10/16/2010 11:36 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-10-16 08:26:05 -0700, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 10/16/2010 10:47 AM, me wrote:

>>> Yortown, VA. Unfortunately as I walked around the tree to get into the
>>> morning lit side a pair of women staking out a picnic table passed me
>>> and spooked it.

>> Bummer.
>>
>> Why were you interfering with their picnic.

> What do you think the two women did when they noticed a fat lens poking
> through the foliage?
> The screams must have resonated all the way to Washington!
>
> Ed would have been lucky to get away, let alone gat another eagle shot.

The easiest way to reserve a picnic table is to just stand still facing
a tree near the table with your elbows bent out. Few women will
approach. If they do, you might have an unplanned picnic, of a different
type.

--
Peter

me

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:26:05 -0400, peter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 10/16/2010 10:47 AM, me wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:42:26 -0400, peter
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Nice captures. Where did yo get them.

>> Yortown, VA. Unfortunately as I walked around the tree to get into the
>> morning lit side a pair of women staking out a picnic table passed me
>> and spooked it.

>Bummer.
>
>Why were you interfering with their picnic.

Actually, they were interfering with my photography.

The eagle was in the tree at the center of this:
http://tinyurl.com/2cw35e5

I had just pulled up in the parking lot for a normal dog get together
and two folks all ready there mentioned the eagle in the tree and
asked if I had "Hubble" with me. One of the guys calls my 200-400 f/4
Hubble. I always bring it on the weekend dog outings, so I grabbed it
and headed off to spot the bird, then cautiously approach. As I was
circling around form the east to get the rising sun behind me to give
better light for the shot the women crossed behind me looking at the
picnic tables to the left. I figured they were far enough away and
there was enough foliage in the tree not to scare the eagle away.
However, as I finally was getting in position with decent light they
must have started walking to the table directly under the eagle
thereby spooking it. Not totally unlike taking 15-20 min to approach
something up in the Shenendoah only to have a car pullup, a few P&Sers
get out and come rushing into the field you been working and scaring
off a new fawn.

The small beach strip to the right is mainly where ad hoc dog parties
happens although we have stayed in the picnic area when the biting
flys get bad.

http://edwardgruf.com/dogs_2010/2010..._am/index.html

IIRC we've had over a dozen dogs on a few occasions. I've told my vet
about the gatherings and she has recommended them to dogs needing some
socialization. The picnic area will close for the season at the end of
the month and once again it will mainly be left to a much smaller
group of people. Can't wait!

peter

On 10/16/2010 12:38 PM, me wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:26:05 -0400, peter
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 10/16/2010 10:47 AM, me wrote:

>>> Yortown, VA. Unfortunately as I walked around the tree to get into the
>>> morning lit side a pair of women staking out a picnic table passed me
>>> and spooked it.

>> Bummer.
>>
>> Why were you interfering with their picnic.

> Actually, they were interfering with my photography.

Sorry you missed my sarcasm.

> The eagle was in the tree at the center of this:
> http://tinyurl.com/2cw35e5
>
> I had just pulled up in the parking lot for a normal dog get together
> and two folks all ready there mentioned the eagle in the tree and
> asked if I had "Hubble" with me. One of the guys calls my 200-400 f/4
> Hubble. I always bring it on the weekend dog outings, so I grabbed it
> and headed off to spot the bird, then cautiously approach. As I was
> circling around form the east to get the rising sun behind me to give
> better light for the shot the women crossed behind me looking at the
> picnic tables to the left. I figured they were far enough away and
> there was enough foliage in the tree not to scare the eagle away.
> However, as I finally was getting in position with decent light they
> must have started walking to the table directly under the eagle
> thereby spooking it. Not totally unlike taking 15-20 min to approach
> something up in the Shenendoah only to have a car pullup, a few P&Sers
> get out and come rushing into the field you been working and scaring
> off a new fawn.
>
> The small beach strip to the right is mainly where ad hoc dog parties
> happens although we have stayed in the picnic area when the biting
> flys get bad.
>
> http://edwardgruf.com/dogs_2010/2010..._am/index.html
>
> IIRC we've had over a dozen dogs on a few occasions. I've told my vet
> about the gatherings and she has recommended them to dogs needing some
> socialization. The picnic area will close for the season at the end of
> the month and once again it will mainly be left to a much smaller
> group of people. Can't wait!

Happens regularly & goes with the territory. I Went to a covered bridge
today, just South of Kent Falls, I finally got set and some kids
insisted on getting right in front of me. They have as much right to be
there as I do. Just makes shooting a little more difficult. I got no
shots of the bridge, some interesting water patterns & a bruised knee
when I stepped on hat I thought was solid ground.

--
Peter