Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > why hosts file is reset?

why hosts file is reset?

Voronkov Konstantin

Hello, I would like to redirect one IP address to a localhost, but
each time something reverts the original content of hosts file.

I open windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts with Notepad under run as
administrator, then make a change in hosts file. All new coonections
are redirecting to localhost (127.0.0.1), but suddenly in some time my
hosts file is reverted to the original state.

My system runs Windows Vista x64 bit edition.
What can change my hosts file and how to make a constant change in it?

Best Regards,
Voronkov Konstantin

Steve Foster

Voronkov Konstantin wrote:

> Hello, I would like to redirect one IP address to a localhost, but
> each time something reverts the original content of hosts file.
>
> I open windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts with Notepad under run as
> administrator, then make a change in hosts file. All new coonections
> are redirecting to localhost (127.0.0.1), but suddenly in some time my
> hosts file is reverted to the original state.
>
> My system runs Windows Vista x64 bit edition.
> What can change my hosts file and how to make a constant change in it?

Are you running an internet security suite of any sort? Particularly
one that "inoculates" your machine against malware threats?

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:

Voronkov Konstantin

On 11 oct, 17:41, "Steve Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Voronkov Konstantin wrote:
> > Hello, I would like to redirect one IP address to a localhost, but
> > each time something reverts the original content of hosts file.

> > I open windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts with Notepad under run as
> > administrator, then make a change in hosts file. All new coonections
> > are redirecting to localhost (127.0.0.1), but suddenly in some time my
> > hosts file is reverted to the original state.

> > My system runs Windows Vista x64 bit edition.
> > What can change my hosts file and how to make a constant change in it?

> Are you running an internet security suite of any sort? Particularly
> one that "inoculates" your machine against malware threats?
>
> --
> Steve Foster
> For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:https://netshop.virtual-isp.net

I'm running Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Workstations 6. I'll ask on
Kaspersky forums if there is any component in the product that
protects hosts file in such strange way...

Thanks for your help,