Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dimdows Package Management Takes Another Giant Leap Forward

Dimdows Package Management Takes Another Giant Leap Forward

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Not content with introducing ONE Dimdows package management system that
nobody can be bothered using, Microsoft now brings out a SECOND one
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-contributes-new-open-source-package-management-system-to-outercurve-foundation/7592>.

What’s the point?

• NuPack is .NET only and developer-focused (integration of libraries
into .NET projects)
• CoApp covers both managed and unmanaged code and is currently focused
on user applications

So NuPack is focused on a subset of what CoApp was trying to achieve? Or
alternatively, CoApp is meant for users, NuPack for developers? So the
system is supposed to have TWO package-management systems installed for
side-by-side use?

• NuPack covers the gap between “install a dev library” and “use it”

Eh? What gap? I thought to “install” something meant to “make it available
for use”. What else there that you have to do before you can “use it”?

• CoApp is more of a big-picture OS-level package management system that
may or may not integrate with and/or include NuPack as a subset at
some point

Aha. I think we’re seeing Conway’s Law in action: “any piece of software
reflects the organizational structure that produced it”. Why wasn’t this
being developed as part of a unified project to begin with, as opposed to
integration being deferred to “may or may not ... at some point”?

Answer: because they’re being developed by rival groups who aren’t
communicating very well.