Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > And So The Merry Circus Goes Round Again...

Reply
Thread Tools

And So The Merry Circus Goes Round Again...

 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2010
In message <i9m2e0$1n0$(E-Mail Removed)>, Another Me wrote:

> On 20/10/10 7:08 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> I do remember it. You call that arguing over “semantics”? Perhaps you
>> should look in the dictionary to find out what “semantics” means. (Hint:
>> it means “meaning”.) Because the “semantics” of “invention” versus
>> “innovation” are very different, which is the whole point.

>
> I do know the meaning of the word, I used a word, a perfectly valid
> word, I asked you a question, all you did is bitch, and have constantly
> bitched about a word I used.


Where did I “bitch”? I patiently and clearly pointed out to you the meaning
of the word you were using, and why it wasn’t meaning what you thought it
was meaning. You were the one who seemed to get annoyed at that, not me.

> Show me know patents are bad, you still haven't done so.


I gave an example, an important example, of how one crucial patent became an
obstacle to a whole major chapter in the history of technology. There are
more such examples, and I will happily point you to them.

For your part, you offered no counter-evidence at all. You simply tried to
downplay the value of my evidence. And then you made the claim

Well you seem ignorant to the fact, that without patents, a lot
of businesses wouldn't risk developing technologies in the first
place.

Which you still haven’t backed up. That’s what I’m waiting for: for you to
justify this statement, before proceeding.

> One of the companies that is getting sued just sold US$20 billion worth
> of products in the last quarter, they have a tonne of patents, they must
> be doing something the market wants, so in this case how are patents
> bad?


And where is the connection between the patents and the success of the
company? If they’re being sued, it must be because they have become
successful _in spite of_ that particular patent at least, not because of it,
right?

> Do you actually live how you try and preach? Do you only use open
> source products and services?


Yes and yes.

> Do you refuse to use products that have any patents associated with them?


Unfortunately, given the nature of patents, it is impossible for any
products, particularly software, not to have such “associated with them”.

> Stop being such a hypocrite.


Luckily, none of those patents are valid in NZ. Does that count?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Another Me
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2010
On 23/10/10 12:08 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Where did I “bitch”? I patiently and clearly pointed out to you the meaning
> of the word you were using, and why it wasn’t meaning what you thought it
> was meaning. You were the one who seemed to get annoyed at that, not me.


I didn't get annoyed, I said it didn't matter, the fact that you pointed
it out, meant you didn't have any real argument in the first place.


> I gave an example, an important example, of how one crucial patent became an
> obstacle to a whole major chapter in the history of technology. There are
> more such examples, and I will happily point you to them.


What? Steam Engines? Yeah, I was going to buy a new steam engine this
weekend, but blow me down, development has all but stopped on these
beauties, damn patents.

> For your part, you offered no counter-evidence at all. You simply tried to
> downplay the value of my evidence. And then you made the claim


Why don't you go back to your original question, you brought up Motorola
v Apple, how are the existing patents in this area bad, and how is it
stopping development in the mobile area?

>> Do you actually live how you try and preach? Do you only use open
>> source products and services?

>
> Yes and yes.


Do you really? How open are the specs for the hardware you use?

>> Do you refuse to use products that have any patents associated with them?

>
> Unfortunately, given the nature of patents, it is impossible for any
> products, particularly software, not to have such “associated with them”.


So, how are patents bad, and open source good, if open source has
patents associated with it?


> Luckily, none of those patents are valid in NZ. Does that count?


Not at all, because constantly bitch about them as if they did.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Circus in town! (pics and story!) Focus Digital Photography 14 03-27-2008 12:22 AM
FA: J&SB STRIKE BACK dvd, VAMPIRE CIRCUS ld, DTS FRIGHTENERS ld, and more! J Rusnak DVD Video 0 10-18-2006 11:45 PM
VS2005 - Going round and round in circles again :) postings@alexshirley.com ASP .Net 0 06-22-2006 11:26 AM
Glastonbury Circus and performer acts prep@prep.synonet.com Digital Photography 0 07-10-2005 04:42 PM
Computer Goes Round and Round Checking Alan Computer Support 6 10-08-2004 08:24 AM



Advertisments