Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dell no longer supplying OS Disk?

Dell no longer supplying OS Disk?

Meat Plow

#1. Don't take chucktard's advice.

#2. Suggesting a good laptop to a total stranger who doesn't provide his
or her requirements is like suggesting the best tasting apple pie.

chuckcar

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:i8jcut$b43$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Grinder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Dell was one of the last ones that was actually including the OS and
>> drivers discs in addition to a recovery partition. I've got a Dell
>> laptop (Studio 15) showing up in a couple of days, so I'll report was
>> happened there.

> Grinder... looking forward to your report.... I am still on the fence
> as to should I buy a Dell or not because I like to partition my
> harddrive the way I like it and also would want to load/run
> Linux...... not sure if this is possible if I don't have the Win 7
> cd....

Dell makes high end computer and servers just like everyong else. The
Manufacturer is beside from the point. Read.PeeCee's post. It's the only
one that actually gives you an answer.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:13:52 -0400, don wrote:
>
>> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:i8ir4m$8qi$(E-Mail Removed):
>>>

>>> You're buying a cheap laptop. You burn one with the installed
>>> software when you bring it home. In various countries, they're
>>> *required* to provide one. Not the US apparently. 3K was a decent
>>> price for a laptop. 20 years ago.

>> ok, so can you recommend a good laptop brand that will actually
>> include
>> the disks

> #1. Don't take chucktard's advice.

What precisely is your major problem mister?

> #2. Suggesting a good laptop to a total stranger who doesn't provide
> his or her requirements is like suggesting the best tasting apple pie.

He *has*. He want's the CD to install windows 7. Included. Apparently
you don't read so well. That makes you the last person to be making
judgement calls on other posters here.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Meat Plow

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:13:18 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:13:52 -0400, don wrote:
>>
>>> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> ok, so can you recommend a good laptop brand that will actually
>>> include
>>> the disks

>> #1. Don't take chucktard's advice.
>>

> What precisely is your major problem mister?

You give bad advice 99.9% of the time, what else?

To quote you: "*Everything* has drivers with the exception of audio
speakers and printers."

I'll permit you to redact your statement in part claiming printers do not
have drivers.

chuckcar

Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:13:18 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
>
>> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news(E-Mail Removed):

>>> #1. Don't take chucktard's advice.
>>>

>> What precisely is your major problem mister?

> You give bad advice 99.9% of the time, what else?
>
> To quote you: "*Everything* has drivers with the exception of audio
> speakers and printers."
>
> I'll permit you to redact your statement in part claiming printers do
> not have drivers.

I've already answered that Evan Jr.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Meat Plow

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:54:10 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:13:18 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
>>
>>> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news(E-Mail Removed):

>>> What precisely is your major problem mister?

>> You give bad advice 99.9% of the time, what else?
>>
>> To quote you: "*Everything* has drivers with the exception of audio
>> speakers and printers."
>>
>> I'll permit you to redact your statement in part claiming printers do
>> not have drivers.
>>

> I've already answered that Evan Jr.

Evasion expected. You blurt out things before you think. This makes you
undesirable as a consultant.

Desk Rabbit

On 07/10/2010 13:13, chuckcar wrote:
> Meat Plow<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:13:52 -0400, don wrote:
>>
>>> "chuckcar"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> ok, so can you recommend a good laptop brand that will actually
>>> include
>>> the disks

>> #1. Don't take chucktard's advice.
>>

> What precisely is your major problem mister?

Where to start? Your advice is generally wrong and when challenged you
drop out of the thread.

>> #2. Suggesting a good laptop to a total stranger who doesn't provide
>> his or her requirements is like suggesting the best tasting apple pie.
>>

> He *has*. He want's the CD to install windows 7.

Perfect example. You haven't got a clue.

Peter Foldes

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> If you want a MS-type install disk for Win7, you can either buy one retail, or bit
> torrent a pirate version -- some of those are better than the original.

Mike

If I read correctly as per above ,why in heavens name are you advocating the use of
a pirated version of the OS. I might be possibly dense at times but it sure sounds
like that to me. No one should be even thinking about using and installing a pirated
version of any OS or program. It is theft and also it can become dangerous at times
--
Peter
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Desk Rabbit

On 07/10/2010 13:13, chuckcar wrote:
> "don"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:i8jcut$b43$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> "Grinder"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Dell was one of the last ones that was actually including the OS and
>>> drivers discs in addition to a recovery partition. I've got a Dell
>>> laptop (Studio 15) showing up in a couple of days, so I'll report was
>>> happened there.

>> Grinder... looking forward to your report.... I am still on the fence
>> as to should I buy a Dell or not because I like to partition my
>> harddrive the way I like it and also would want to load/run
>> Linux...... not sure if this is possible if I don't have the Win 7
>> cd....
>>

> Dell makes high end computer and servers just like everyong else.

Typical chuckcar post - wrong, irrelevant and unable to use a spell checker.

Mike Easter

Peter Foldes wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> If you want a MS-type install disk for Win7, you can either buy one
>> retail, or bit torrent a pirate version -- some of those are better
>> than the original.

> If I read correctly as per above ,why in heavens name are you
> advocating the use of a pirated version of the OS.

I'm not 'advocating' the use of a pirated version. I'm focusing on the
problem as many users of OEM recovery disks/partitions see it.

They have a license to use the MS OS on one machine - but they don't
have a MS install disk, they only have an image of a MS OS + bloatware
install. They wish they had an install disk to be able to 'get' what
they have a license for - their MS license doesn't actually 'require'
that they install bloatware with their OS, but they have no install disk
to do otherwise.

Those users 'balk' at the necessity to buy 'another' expensive retail
version of the version they have when they already have a license for
that version, but they just need some way to use/do it.

> I might be possibly
> dense at times but it sure sounds like that to me. No one should be even
> thinking about using and installing a pirated version of any OS or
> program. It is theft and also it can become dangerous at times

Pirated versions can be dangerous and can certainly be misused in a way
that violates MS's copyright. Even the existence of the pirated version
is a violation of MS's copyright. But I think there are 'issues' which
this thread brings up in which the end user's ability to exercise his
license is being 'impaired' by the lack of clean installation media.

The lack of clean installation media can be solved by retail version or
by 'bending' the copyright (using pirated) to aid the legal license. I
don't know about this cheap OEM version business at newegg yet. I'll
have to research that to see if that is another avenue.

--
Mike Easter

supplying runtime parameter sp XML 3 01-27-2006 08:42 AM
Problem writing cookie when supplying Path property =?Utf-8?B?U3llZCBHaGF5YXM=?= ASP .Net 2 05-06-2005 03:55 PM
Programs taking longer and longer to start up. Help please. Goforit Computer Information 9 07-25-2004 06:34 AM
Making function private/ not supplying declaration in header file Daniel Nichols C Programming 6 06-15-2004 05:03 AM
Making function private/ not supplying declaration in header file Daniel Nichols C Programming 5 06-15-2004 03:38 AM

Advertisments