Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Using a program which wasn't installed?

Using a program which wasn't installed?

digger odell

I know this sounds bizzare, but why do I need to install a program if
it resides on a CD that was copied from my other computer and appears
to run quite normally?
Thanks! digger

joevan

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 08:38:44 -0700 (PDT), digger odell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know this sounds bizzare, but why do I need to install a program if
>it resides on a CD that was copied from my other computer and appears
>to run quite normally?
>Thanks! digger

I may use an INI. file and not the registry. Agent is that way. You
can also copy and paste the whole thing to your hard drive and it will
work. I have the same Agent forte for years and move it as I need to
new computer. Just copy paste.

OldGringo38

On 10/6/2010 10:38 AM Just to please that super-ego, digger odell wrote
the following tidbit of information:
> I know this sounds bizzare, but why do I need to install a program if
> it resides on a CD that was copied from my other computer and appears
> to run quite normally?
> Thanks! digger

I'll bet you have a better answer for that than I do. <g>

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

Mike Easter

digger odell wrote:
> I know this sounds bizzare, but why do I need to install a program if

Why ask why? In this context, why is the wrong interrogative, and the
question is wrong - improperly structured.

> it resides on a CD that was copied from my other computer and appears
> to run quite normally?

Some windows programs need to be installed; some don't.

It is useful to know about portable applications - wiki on portable apps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application

--
Mike Easter

G. Morgan

digger odell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know this sounds bizzare, but why do I need to install a program if
>it resides on a CD that was copied from my other computer and appears
>to run quite normally?
>Thanks! digger

http://www.google.com/search?q=make+...ient=firefox-a

chuckcar

digger odell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I know this sounds bizzare, but why do I need to install a program if
> it resides on a CD that was copied from my other computer and appears
> to run quite normally?
> Thanks! digger

Does it run without the CD being present? Then you don't. It's already
there.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Meat Plow

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 08:38:44 -0700, digger odell wrote:

> I know this sounds bizzare, but why do I need to install a program if it
> resides on a CD that was copied from my other computer and appears to
> run quite normally?
> Thanks! digger

It will run (open) faster from your hard drive. If that is of no value to
you, continue to use from the CD.