Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Vista Machine Randomly Freezes for a Few Seconds

Re: Vista Machine Randomly Freezes for a Few Seconds

chuckcar

"NoSpamm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello,
>
> I have Vista installed on an HP 8440p laptop with 70gigs free on my HD
> and 4 gigs of RAM installed. This is a work computer so I am connected
> to a network. I am also not playing any games or doing high resolution
> graphics or playing any audio.
>
> The issue is that while typing, going on the Internet, calculating a
> spreadsheet, opening a network drive, etc., the machine freezes for
> just a few seconds. It happens pretty randomly and not for very long.
> If I am typing, I can continue to type even though the machine appears
> to be frozen. When it comes back, everything I typed, "catches up" so
> I didn't actually lose anything.
>
> I appears as if some process is quickly polling something which causes
> this freeze. I've watched the Task Manager but nothing seems to spike.
> I've also tried to remove whatever Services were unnecessary.
>
> This is extremely annoying and IT cannot seem to figure out what the
> issue is.
>
> Any ideas on what I could try to diagnose this issue?

First, obviously something is slowing down the computer. That implies
directly that some other program is running. Since you have a name brand
consumer laptop (which are typically loaded with bundled software) that
means the first thing to check is startup. Disable *all* you can. None
are needed for windows to run. At best you *may* have a AV suite that
checks incoming emails. That requires no entry at all, it's a context
menu. In other words, it's only needed and activated when you actually
right click on an email.

Read more here. Note MS *never* says these can cause problems as that
would be biting the hand that feeds them - third party software
developers. Despite the fact that it is the single most problem causing
area in MS windows since windows 95 hit the market.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270035

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 05:43:23 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>First, obviously something is slowing down the computer. That implies
>>directly that some other program is running. Since you have a name
>>brand consumer laptop (which are typically loaded with bundled
>>software) that means the first thing to check is startup. Disable
>>*all* you can. None are needed for windows to run.

> But some are likely required for the OP's WORK and doing so could
> likely get the OP fired.

Not a chance.

> ****, you've never worked a day in tech support have you?

Sure I have, Mr want to be rent a cop that can't even get a job.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Meat Plow

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 05:43:23 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> "NoSpamm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have Vista installed on an HP 8440p laptop with 70gigs free on my HD
>> and 4 gigs of RAM installed. This is a work computer so I am connected
>> to a network. I am also not playing any games or doing high resolution
>> graphics or playing any audio.
>>
>> The issue is that while typing, going on the Internet, calculating a
>> spreadsheet, opening a network drive, etc., the machine freezes for
>> just a few seconds. It happens pretty randomly and not for very long.
>> If I am typing, I can continue to type even though the machine appears
>> to be frozen. When it comes back, everything I typed, "catches up" so I
>> didn't actually lose anything.
>>
>> I appears as if some process is quickly polling something which causes
>> this freeze. I've watched the Task Manager but nothing seems to spike.
>> I've also tried to remove whatever Services were unnecessary.
>>
>> This is extremely annoying and IT cannot seem to figure out what the
>> issue is.
>>
>> Any ideas on what I could try to diagnose this issue?
>>

> First, obviously something is slowing down the computer. That implies
> directly that some other program is running.

<slaps self in the face> DAMN! I am awake!

chuckcar

"NoSpamm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> OK, here's what I found, but I don't know if it's useful...
>
> The only thing that seems to occur at the time when I get these
> lock-ups is under the Security Log. It was the following:
>
> The Windows Filtering Platform has allowed a connection.
>
> Application Information:
> Process ID: 4
> Application Name: System
>
> Network Information:
> Direction: Inbound
>

> I did see that the Bonjour (I hate iTunes) was also occuring around
> that time, but I killed that and am still getting the issue.
>
> Thanks again for the help.

Get a *proper* firewall such as Zone Alarm or Outpost. The one that
comes with windows is what's *causing* your problem. No proper firewall
allows incoming connections at *all*. And scan *all* your computer for
malware - both trojans and spyware.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:34:13 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>No proper firewall allows incoming connections at *all*.

> Going to be hard to surf the net with no incoming connections at
> *all*.

Nonsence. It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd know
that.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

JayLee JayLee is offline
Junior Member

really cool...thanks for the useful tips...

Bill

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 03:38:11 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:34:13 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>No proper firewall allows incoming connections at *all*.

>> Going to be hard to surf the net with no incoming connections at
>> *all*.

>Nonsence. It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd know
>that.

How does the content of a web page get to your display?

Meat Plow

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 03:38:11 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:34:13 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>No proper firewall allows incoming connections at *all*.

>> Going to be hard to surf the net with no incoming connections at *all*.

> Nonsence. It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd know
> that.

So I guess Microsoft can do away with temporary internet files.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Bill wrote:

> chuckTard wrote:
>> Evan Platt wrote:
>>>
>>> Going to be hard to surf the net with no incoming connections at
>>> *all*.

>> Nonsence.

Fix your damn spellchecker. The word is *nonsenSe*. There is no "c" in
the word. Ever. Not even in Canada.

>> It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd know that.

> How does the content of a web page get to your display?

Y'know, with such a stupid answer like chuckTard gave there, a statement
in direct conflict with one of the most basic Internet usages that even
a rank beginner would know was wrong, more or less proves that chuckTard
is a blatant troll. Nobody can be that wrong, unless on purpose.

--
-bts

chuckcar

Bill <BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 03:38:11 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

>>> Going to be hard to surf the net with no incoming connections at
>>> *all*.

>>Nonsence. It's *all* outgoing. If you knew *anything* at all, you'd
>>know that.

> How does the content of a web page get to your display?

The browser sends a request for a web page. Specifically, it logs onto
the DNS for the web page and then does what amounts to an ftp. The browser
then runs the retrieved html or whatever and it proceeds from there.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )