Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wi-Fi Password lost

Reply
Thread Tools

Wi-Fi Password lost

 
 
purpledawn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2010
I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He tell me
he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and their password.
He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot logon into my wifi
conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have no idea what my password
was. Also noticed that the password section will not take any alphabetical
letters only numbers. Did some research on the web and found (I guess) that
the password for the wifi should be on the bottom of the laptop. I checked
but there are so many number have no idea which one to type in. Is there any
way I can make a new password. Your help in this matter is greatly
appreciated. Thanks, Monika


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2010
purpledawn wrote:
> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He tell me
> he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and their password.
> He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot logon into my wifi
> conncetion.


I understand what you are saying, but there is lack of clarity below.

> I did find my wifi connection but have no idea what my password
> was.


'my wifi connection' is ambiguous here. My own wifi connection when I am
at home is my router's access point (and/or also another access point in
my house).

Those access points were configured by me by my accessing their
configuration pages which are passworded and choosing my type of
security which I chose to be WPA and choosing my password or phrase for
the access point.

Then, the wireless device is configured correspondingly for both type of
security and password.

You haven't described any of that - you have only alluded to 'my wifi
connection' and you profess an ignorance of knowing or configuring the
password for the access point and also that of the laptop.

That is a lot of unknowns.

> Also noticed that the password section will not take any alphabetical
> letters only numbers.


I don't know what you mean there.

> Did some research on the web and found (I guess) that
> the password for the wifi should be on the bottom of the laptop.


That is absolutely not so.

I have encountered situations where a password was on the bottom of a
gateway device - a modem/router.

> I checked
> but there are so many number have no idea which one to type in.


Forget about that idea; you were misinformed.

> Is there any
> way I can make a new password.


Maybe, if you are in control of the configuration of the device which is
your wifi connection. But you are going to have to go back into the
'history' of this wifi network you are accessing.

Where is the device which you are trying to access with your laptop's
wireless. Are you in control - the administrator - of that device. Or do
you not even know where or what it is?

If you are the administrator, what is the brand name and modelno of that
device. Do you recall any password and security type? Who - such as
what company/provider - installed that device? Did they configure your
laptop as well?



--
Mike Easter
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2010
"purpledawn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i8f91p$j3g$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He
> tell me he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and
> their password. He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot
> logon into my wifi conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have
> no idea what my password was. Also noticed that the password section
> will not take any alphabetical letters only numbers. Did some research
> on the web and found (I guess) that the password for the wifi should
> be on the bottom of the laptop. I checked but there are so many number
> have no idea which one to type in. Is there any way I can make a new
> password. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
> Monika
>
>


Call the front desk.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bert Hyman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2010
In news:i8f91p$j3g$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org "purpledawn"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Did some research on the web and found (I guess) that the password for
> the wifi should be on the bottom of the laptop. I checked but there
> are so many number have no idea which one to type in. Is there any way
> I can make a new password. Your help in this matter is greatly


Find the person who set up your home WiFi system and ask what they did.

If you're simply running the WiFi system as it came out of the box with
default name and password, let the folks here know what brand and model
WiFi router you're using and they'll be able to tell you the default
password. There's a good chance that the default password is on the WiFi
router itself (not on your laptop).

Lastly, if you're using a combination WiFi/wired router, you should be
able to connect to the device using your home's wired network and
re-configure it that way.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Whiskers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2010
On 2010-10-05, purpledawn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He tell me
> he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and their password.
> He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot logon into my wifi
> conncetion.


I'm not familiar with Windows, but I would expect it to be able to
remember several wifi connection login details. But it sounds as though
your 'home' settings have been deleted somehow.

> I did find my wifi connection but have no idea what my password
> was. Also noticed that the password section will not take any alphabetical
> letters only numbers.


Hmmm. Do you mean it'll only accept 'Hex'?

> Did some research on the web and found (I guess) that
> the password for the wifi should be on the bottom of the laptop.


I can't imagine where you'd find that bizarre notion. Perhaps someone was
trying to say that some wifi routers have the default 'password' printed
on a label somewhere - that's the thing wired to the cable or telephone
internet socket, not your laptop. Worth a look there, as it sounds as
though you're unlikely to have changed anything )

> I checked
> but there are so many number have no idea which one to type in. Is there any
> way I can make a new password. Your help in this matter is greatly
> appreciated. Thanks, Monika


Try connecting the laptop to the router using an ethernet cable; that
should 'just work' without any password. Once that's working you can use
your web browser to get to the router's set-up interface - the address
will probably be something like <http://192.168.0.1> or
<http://192.168.2.1>. There should be some 'help' included in that.

As an absolute last resort, the printed instructions or 'quick start
guide' for the router just might be useful. You can probably find them on
line, if you know the make and model of the router.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
 
Reply With Quote
 
hwf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2010
purpledawn wrote:
> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He tell me
> he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and their password.
> He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot logon into my wifi
> conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have no idea what my password
> was. Also noticed that the password section will not take any alphabetical
> letters only numbers. Did some research on the web and found (I guess) that
> the password for the wifi should be on the bottom of the laptop. I checked
> but there are so many number have no idea which one to type in. Is there any
> way I can make a new password. Your help in this matter is greatly
> appreciated. Thanks, Monika
>
>

You dope, follow teh instructionses:
http://www.pctechbytes.com/networkin...k-setup-wizard

<nods>

--
www.skepticalscience.com|www.youtube.com/officialpeta
cageprisoners.com|www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.eyeonpalin.org
_____ ____ ____ __ /\_/\ __ _ ______ _____
/ __/ |/ / / / / // // . . \\ \ |\ | / __ \ \ \ __\
_\ \/ / /_/ / _ / \ / \ \| \| \ \_\ \ \__\ _\
/___/_/|_/\____/_//_/ \_@_/ \__|\__|\____/\____\_\


 
Reply With Quote
 
Meat Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2010
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:26:16 -0400, purpledawn wrote:

> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He
> tell me he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and
> their password. He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot
> logon into my wifi conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have no
> idea what my password was. Also noticed that the password section will
> not take any alphabetical letters only numbers. Did some research on the
> web and found (I guess) that the password for the wifi should be on the
> bottom of the laptop. I checked but there are so many number have no
> idea which one to type in. Is there any way I can make a new password.
> Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Monika


Find how to do a factory reset in your router equipment documentation as
a last resort. If you do that it will erase the password on the wifi
router and you can start over like the router was new with a new
connection and password.



--
Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
 
Reply With Quote
 
Desk Rabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2010
On 05/10/2010 14:50, chuckcar wrote:
> "purpledawn"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:i8f91p$j3g$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
>> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He
>> tell me he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and
>> their password. He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot
>> logon into my wifi conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have
>> no idea what my password was. Also noticed that the password section
>> will not take any alphabetical letters only numbers. Did some research
>> on the web and found (I guess) that the password for the wifi should
>> be on the bottom of the laptop. I checked but there are so many number
>> have no idea which one to type in. Is there any way I can make a new
>> password. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
>> Monika
>>
>>

>
> Call the front desk.
>

You ****ing idiot.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Desk Rabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2010
On 05/10/2010 16:01, Whiskers wrote:
> On 2010-10-05, purpledawn<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He tell me
>> he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and their password.
>> He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot logon into my wifi
>> conncetion.

>
> I'm not familiar with Windows, but I would expect it to be able to
> remember several wifi connection login details. But it sounds as though
> your 'home' settings have been deleted somehow.
>
>> I did find my wifi connection but have no idea what my password
>> was. Also noticed that the password section will not take any alphabetical
>> letters only numbers.

>
> Hmmm. Do you mean it'll only accept 'Hex'?


You do know what hex is don't you?

Clue: 0123456789ABCDEF
 
Reply With Quote
 
Desk Rabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2010
On 05/10/2010 16:16, Meat Plow wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:26:16 -0400, purpledawn wrote:
>
>> I have a Toshiba laptop with windows xp which I loaned to my son. He
>> tell me he signed in as a guest used the hotels wifi connection and
>> their password. He returned the wifi to me yesterday and now I cannot
>> logon into my wifi conncetion. I did find my wifi connection but have no
>> idea what my password was. Also noticed that the password section will
>> not take any alphabetical letters only numbers. Did some research on the
>> web and found (I guess) that the password for the wifi should be on the
>> bottom of the laptop. I checked but there are so many number have no
>> idea which one to type in. Is there any way I can make a new password.
>> Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Monika

>
> Find how to do a factory reset in your router equipment documentation as
> a last resort. If you do that it will erase the password on the wifi
> router and you can start over like the router was new with a new
> connection and password.


Which will probably reset the DSL acount details and leave the OP with a
doorstop based on evident lack of technical ability.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to reset Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 password if you forgot or lost windows password passwings Software 4 11-17-2011 06:52 AM
Lost Windows login Password? 6 Ways to Recover and Recover windows Password jamesstevn General Computer Support 0 03-10-2010 03:18 AM
Change a users password without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question AAaron123 ASP .Net 1 01-16-2009 02:56 PM
Changing a users password without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question AAaron123 ASP .Net 2 01-16-2009 02:08 PM
Lost cisco 1600 password. Kirk Goins Cisco 2 12-15-2003 08:58 PM



Advertisments