Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How to stop Outlook sending a large file?

How to stop Outlook sending a large file?

Sweetpea

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 08:03:57 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> I'm talking about sizes initially discussed in this thread. 5 to 10Mb.
> Stop shifting the goal posts.
>
> Do you think it's more efficient to snail mail 5Mb rather than email it?

I'm thinking that it is best to use a means designed to transfer binary
data rather than a means designed to transmit plain text.

I think that 5Mb is the top end of what should be transferred by email.

FTP is the means designed to transfer data. If necessary users should be
taught how to use FTP.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 08:04:45 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Sweetpea wrote:

>>> So when I send a large binary in an email, and it works perfectly
>>> fine, myself and the recipient must be hallucinating?

>> So that suggests that your admin has mis-configured your email server
>> to accept emails larger than 5 or 8megs.
>>
>> Certainly shouldn't accept 60gig emails!!

> No one said it did. You agreed originally that a 8Mb binary is a "large
> binary" for the purposes of this discussion.

Indeed it is. I meant to say 60Mb - as per what someone else said was a
conceivable size of data for what someone may want to transfer via email.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 08:32:32 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Other than the lack of hardware device support. Can't play ogg on an
> iPad, iPod or iPhone.

Not my problem - and not the problem of most enterprises.

victor

On 12/10/2010 8:36 a.m., Allistar wrote:
> Sweetpea wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 08:32:32 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>>
>>> Other than the lack of hardware device support. Can't play ogg on an
>>> iPad, iPod or iPhone.

>> Not my problem - and not the problem of most enterprises.

> For a lot of people it makes ogg NOT "at least as good as mp3".

That is because the Apple software is inadequate.
An ipod running rockbox plays ogg files

Sweetpea

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:36:23 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Sweetpea wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 08:32:32 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>>
>>> Other than the lack of hardware device support. Can't play ogg on an
>>> iPad, iPod or iPhone.

>> Not my problem - and not the problem of most enterprises.

> For a lot of people it makes ogg NOT "at least as good as mp3".

Not my problem - and not the problem of most enterprises.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>You think it's preferable to use old fashioned post. Do you really think
>sending data by post is more efficient than an email? Really?

Before laughing too loudly, remember that there was a recent "experiment"
(in the UK IIRC) where pigeon mail beat 'broadband'. IIRC, they tied a USB
stick with the data on it to a pigeon and released it as they started the
transfer electronically. Pigeon won.

I think they were trying to make the point that their "broadband" connection
sucked.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>> MP3 of course is a proprietary compression algorithm that requires a
>> royalty for each and every copy of the software sold. Ogg on the other
>> hand is completely free and at least as good as MP3.

>Other than the lack of hardware device support. Can't play ogg on an iPad,
>iPod or iPhone.

I suspect the problem here is the "i" ... not (otherwise) the hardware.
There ceertainly are 'portable music devices' out there that will play oggs.

Richard

On 12/10/2010 12:16 a.m., Sweetpea wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 08:03:57 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>
>> I'm talking about sizes initially discussed in this thread. 5 to 10Mb.
>> Stop shifting the goal posts.
>>
>> Do you think it's more efficient to snail mail 5Mb rather than email it?

> I'm thinking that it is best to use a means designed to transfer binary
> data rather than a means designed to transmit plain text.
>
> I think that 5Mb is the top end of what should be transferred by email.
>
> FTP is the means designed to transfer data. If necessary users should be
> taught how to use FTP.

Where are these users going to get a server from?

Email exists, and works for this sort of stuff except when some
backwards system admin puts dumb limits on it.

Or use a mail program that will break apart, Outlook express used to do
that I think.

victor

On 18/10/2010 12:38 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article<aq2dnTX0MP5MiS_RnZ2dnUVZ_oudnZ2d@giganews. com>, Allistar<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>>> MP3 of course is a proprietary compression algorithm that requires a
>>> royalty for each and every copy of the software sold. Ogg on the other
>>> hand is completely free and at least as good as MP3.

>> Other than the lack of hardware device support. Can't play ogg on an iPad,
>> iPod or iPhone.

> I suspect the problem here is the "i" ... not (otherwise) the hardware.
> There ceertainly are 'portable music devices' out there that will play oggs.

However if you buy an ipod you have already paid for several different
formats of codec.
Even if you don't, if you rip with itunes you are using codecs that
Apple have paid for.

victor

On 18/10/2010 1:50 p.m., Richard wrote:
> On 12/10/2010 12:16 a.m., Sweetpea wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 08:03:57 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>>
>>> I'm talking about sizes initially discussed in this thread. 5 to 10Mb.
>>> Stop shifting the goal posts.
>>>
>>> Do you think it's more efficient to snail mail 5Mb rather than email it?

>> I'm thinking that it is best to use a means designed to transfer binary
>> data rather than a means designed to transmit plain text.
>>
>> I think that 5Mb is the top end of what should be transferred by email.
>>
>> FTP is the means designed to transfer data. If necessary users should be
>> taught how to use FTP.

> Where are these users going to get a server from?

There are heaps of web locker services and photo album sharing services.
Is this some thread that has emerged from 1999 ? ftp servers vs 5Mb
mailboxes ffs