Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How to stop Outlook sending a large file?

How to stop Outlook sending a large file?

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote: (snip)
>>>8Mb is not "large". Not these days. And it's not a binary being emailed -
>>>the email app converts the binary to 7 or 8bit quoted ASCII.

>> Wrong. Particularly for those of us that still have dial up (why would you
>> pay for broadband that isn't ?).
>>
>> And even if it's not large, it's still wrong. Who has been sent a picture
>> of words when all you wanted was the words themselves ? <puts up hand>

>Worse is people sending a snapshot of a notepad document and embedded that
>snapshot into a MS Word document. Argghhh!
>
>> People being stupid is not a reason to change good standards IMO.

>Not all cases of sending >8Mb emails is down to stupidity.

Agreed. Just most of them

Sweetpea

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 16:41:18 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Sweetpea wrote:

>>> It's a matter of opinion whether 8Mb is hideously large.

>> Answer this then: Given that email is a plain text communications
>> protocol How many plain text characters make up an email containing an
>> 8mb attachment!

> All of the characters would be plain text. How many? That depends on how
> the attachment is encoded.

Yes. And... how many?

Dave Doe

says...

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 16:41:18 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>
> > Sweetpea wrote:

> >> Answer this then: Given that email is a plain text communications
> >> protocol How many plain text characters make up an email containing an
> >> 8mb attachment!

> > All of the characters would be plain text. How many? That depends on how
> > the attachment is encoded.

> Yes. And... how many?

Stop it! You'll go blind.

--
Duncan.

Richard

On 6/10/2010 1:06 p.m., Sweetpea wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 12:22:58 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>
>> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>
>>> In article<nZidnR4s3vLhEjbRnZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d@giganews. com>, Allistar
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote: (snip)
>>>
>>> Wrong. Particularly for those of us that still have dial up (why would
>>> you pay for broadband that isn't ?).
>>>
>>> And even if it's not large, it's still wrong. Who has been sent a
>>> picture of words when all you wanted was the words themselves ?<puts
>>> up hand>

>> Worse is people sending a snapshot of a notepad document and embedded
>> that snapshot into a MS Word document. Argghhh!
>>
>>> People being stupid is not a reason to change good standards IMO.

>> Not all cases of sending>8Mb emails is down to stupidity.

> I think it is - the stupidity of the admin who poorly configured their
> server to accept such hideously large emails.

8MB is tiny, thats one small MP3, a single digital camera photo.

It would take about 10 seconds to download on a normal internet
connection, maybe 30-40 on a crap one. Would take about one and a half
mins to send on a typical ADSL connection.

It is small

a 350 meg TV show is too much for email these days, but in a few years
when everyone has socialized 100 meg fiber to the door it will be nothing.

Richard

On 6/10/2010 3:45 p.m., Sweetpea wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 14:45:36 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>
>>> I think it is - the stupidity of the admin who poorly configured their
>>> server to accept such hideously large emails.

>> It's a matter of opinion whether 8Mb is hideously large.

> Answer this then: Given that email is a plain text communications
> protocol How many plain text characters make up an email containing an
> 8mb attachment!

Depends on the characters - if you were to use the widest ones possible
then it would only be about 1.2 million characters.

Gordon

On 2010-10-05, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:39:32 +1300, Richard wrote:

>>> Why does MS Outlook permit sending emails larger than 5 or 8megs by
>>> default?

>> Why would they limit it to such a small amount by default?

> Why would they use email to send large binaries? Other protocols are more
> appropriate for transferring binaries over the Internet.

Indeed. People will catch on someday.

Do they know about Dropbox for instance?

Gordon

On 2010-10-05, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 8Mb is not "large". Not these days. And it's not a binary being emailed -
> the email app converts the binary to 7 or 8bit quoted ASCII.

That is the whole point. Going brinary to ASCII requires approx 33% bloat.

Mail, is about small ASCII/html files. (html has ruled here over time).

Get the right tool for the job. Unix has always thought this was a good
idea

Gordon

On 2010-10-06, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's a matter of opinion whether 8Mb is hideously large.

Also a matter of time.

Gordon

On 2010-10-06, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 09:20:00 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> Say you wanted to send some pictures to Granny. Granny has email but
>> wouldn't have a clue about FTP.

This is where services such as Dropbox helps out. Click here Granny, and
your web browswer will kick in and do the ftp automagically.

>Each picture of her beloved grandkids
>> might weigh in at 2 - 3 MB. Even if they were reduced in size 20 such
>> pictures could bust the limit.

> Granny wouldn't know what to do with a 3mb image. She'd find it way
> bigger than her 800*600 monitor.

No. The software would show the picture full screen not 675% over screen
size

> Much better to send images more suited for viewing on a monitor - and
> they can be 100-150mb in size and still have plenty of detail.

True, a monitor has only so many pixels.

Gordon

On 2010-10-05, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> says...

>> > Why shouldn't it?

>> Why should it!
>>
>> Email is a plain text protocol.

> Because whether you or I like it or not, is it what joe blogs home or
> office uses to send stuff.

Yes, but it has to asked why? How did we get here?

> On work environments, I enforce a 10Mb Exchange Server max email size
> policy. And I remove any limit to users email accounts sizes - and
> monitor via reporting (in some cases daily), and charge the client for
> my time to do that.
>
> Personally, I'd love to be more draconian - but in real-life, it's they
> way that I've found it has to be.
>
> Most of these users couldn't spell "dropbox" (or use the MS equivalent -
> or any other file sharing means or method, including other protocols
> such as FTP (which they've never heard of anyway)).

Remove the ignorance. It will be a many year war but it will be worthwhile
fighting.

> Office users even use email to send files to fuken each other! - it
> drives me nuts. I even gave up on the proverbial G: drive long ago
> (years). (In case you are too young to know what the "office" G: drive
> is - it's a domain user read/write share that is "controlled" by a
> script or batch file that deletes "files older than 7 days" - or
> whatever. Any domain user can drop or get files to or from it).

Put it back! How are people going to leran if you have taken away the
school?

> It doesn't get easier than a G: drive share - but for most offices, it
> just doesn't work. They just don't use it - no matter how easy.

That is because you need to hold all mail with large attachments for say 56
hours and tell people there is a faster way.

> User education? - it falls on deaf ears. The only folk that can
> effectively use a LAN based network environment are the clued up office
> girls (and they often don't need it).
>
> You can try teaching the office managers and bosses (the ones that need
> to know it) - and of course charge them for your time. They don't like
> it, and they don't like being charged for it either. Back to email!
>
> (It's not "back to email" - it's what they keep doing, and have been).
>
> That said - the more "techie" the business, the better chance you have -
> any other business, good fuken luck!
>
> In short, get real and bite the bullet.

Good rave. No go and muster those sheep again, you can get them though the
gate.

Get some people who refuse to accept large e-mail attachments which are on
the LAN. Communication is two way.