Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Part fell out of Canon T1i

Part fell out of Canon T1i

Wayne

A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
found lying on the mirror:

http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg

She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. Anybody
know what it is / for?

TIA,

Wayne

Robert Coe

:
: http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
:
: She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. Anybody
: know what it is / for?

If it was lying on the mirror, it's a good bet that it has something to do
with holding the focussing screen in place. What its exact role would be is
far from obvious, so I guess there's a remote possibility that it's an
installation tool that was accidentally left in the camera.

If I dropped a camera hard enough to dislodge a part, I think I'd send it to a
service center for inspection.

Bob

ASCII

Wayne wrote:
>A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
>found lying on the mirror:
>
>http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
>
>She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. Anybody
>know what it is / for?
>
>TIA,
>
>Wayne

Looks like it might have something to do with the memory card interface,
like maybe part of an SD/SDHC socket, but if that were the case there would
probably be an icon indicating such.
Have you given it a functional test; shoot some pics,
send them to the computer etc.?

Wayne

On Oct 3, 6:53*pm, ASCII <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wayne wrote:
> >A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
> >found lying on the mirror:

> >http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg

> >She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. *Anybody
> >know what it is / for?

> >TIA,

> >Wayne

> Looks like it might have something to do with the memory card interface,
> like maybe part of an SD/SDHC socket, but if that were the case there would
> probably be an icon indicating such.
> Have you given it a functional test; shoot some pics,
> send them to the computer etc.?

She said "it works", but I don't know how extensively she tested.
I'll ask. Thanks.

ASCII

Wayne wrote:
>On Oct 3, 6:53*pm, ASCII <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Wayne wrote:
>> >A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
>> >found lying on the mirror:

>> >http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg

>> >She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. *Anybody
>> >know what it is / for?

>> >TIA,

>> >Wayne

>> Looks like it might have something to do with the memory card interface,
>> like maybe part of an SD/SDHC socket, but if that were the case there would
>> probably be an icon indicating such.
>> Have you given it a functional test; shoot some pics,
>> send them to the computer etc.?

>She said "it works", but I don't know how extensively she tested.
>I'll ask. Thanks.

There's the outside chance that it was accidentally left in during assembly
and is indeed superfluous, but a contact with the manufacturer wouldn't be
such a bad idea.

Rich

On Oct 3, 6:16*pm, Wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
> found lying on the mirror:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
>
> She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. *Anybody
> know what it is / for?
>
> TIA,
>
> Wayne

Plastic-c-c-c-c-c-c

Rich

On Oct 3, 6:16*pm, Wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
> found lying on the mirror:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
>
> She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. *Anybody
> know what it is / for?
>
> TIA,
>
> Wayne

It looks like electrical contact points from either the lens, or the
bayonet mount of the camera.

Kennedy McEwen

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>> http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg

>Plastic-c-c-c-c-c-c

No, it is most definitely a M-E-E-ETA-A-A-A-L part!
--
Kennedy

J. Clarke

In article <2010100315271511272-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> On 2010-10-03 15:16:27 -0700, Wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
> > found lying on the mirror:
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
> >
> > She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. Anybody
> > know what it is / for?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Wayne

> Sorry I have no idea of what it is, other than a strange feeling I have.
>
> ...and that is, it is probably going to be the reason for sending both
> the camera, and the mystery object to her nearest Canon repair center.
>
> Good luck.

If it were me I'd turn the camera nose down with the lens off and give
it some shakes and taps and see if any _other_ pieces fall out, because
there should have been something holding that in place.

Also, I'd test it in all orientations to be sure that that wasn't
something needed for it to, say, work upside down, and do the same for
the hot shoe and all the signal connectors, etc. I'd rather know up
front what if anything is not working than find out later when I needed
it to work and it didn't.

And look inside with an inspection mirror and a good light--that _might_
if one is lucky snap in somewhere.

As a guess I'd bet on it being a sliding electrical contact. The
multiple fingers going into one solid piece suggest it's a ground, which
would also be consistent with the camera still working--if it is a
ground there is likely another somewhere although not one that the
designers intended--designers are careful about isolating hots but not
so much about grounds.

Ofnuts

On 04/10/2010 04:46, Rich wrote:
> On Oct 3, 6:16 pm, Wayne<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
>> found lying on the mirror:
>>
>> http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
>>
>> She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. Anybody
>> know what it is / for?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Wayne

> It looks like electrical contact points from either the lens, or the
> bayonet mount of the camera.

Except they are all parts of the same metal thing... so that in effect a
single contact point. Could be used to spring-load the back of the SD
card, though (the OP can check if the dimensions match).

--
Bertrand