Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win XPSP3 refuses to format USB stick.

Win XPSP3 refuses to format USB stick.

ian field

After a lot of faffing about I eventually managed to con the PC into
formatting the USB stick by pulling it out and putting it straight back in
(without clicking eject) and typing Format/u H: in command line.

I was wondering if anyone knew why XP-SP3 was giving me all this aggravation
for no good reason?!

Format/U H: in command line was the last resort after trying *EVERYTHING*
else, and even that didn't work until I tried interrupting the USB mounted.

Meat Plow

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:08:06 +0100, ian field wrote:

> After a lot of faffing about I eventually managed to con the PC into
> formatting the USB stick by pulling it out and putting it straight back
> in (without clicking eject) and typing Format/u H: in command line.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew why XP-SP3 was giving me all this
> aggravation for no good reason?!
>
> Format/U H: in command line was the last resort after trying
> *EVERYTHING* else, and even that didn't work until I tried interrupting
> the USB mounted.

Chalk it up to shitty code, half-assed mounting, whatever. I don't find
this surprising with any Windows product.

G. Morgan

"ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Format/U H: in command line was the last resort after trying *EVERYTHING*
>else, and even that didn't work until I tried interrupting the USB mounted.

Type "diskmgmt.msc" to get to the disk control panel. Format it from there.

Dan C

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:08:06 +0100, ian field wrote:

> After a lot of faffing about I eventually managed to con the PC into
> formatting the USB stick by pulling it out and putting it straight back
> in (without clicking eject) and typing Format/u H: in command line.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew why XP-SP3 was giving me all this
> aggravation for no good reason?!
>
> Format/U H: in command line was the last resort after trying
> *EVERYTHING* else, and even that didn't work until I tried interrupting
> the USB mounted.

You have to format the Cee drive first, before you can format an H drive.

Silly n00b.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found Piglet in bed with Eeyore.

joevan

On 03 Oct 2010 22:55:11 GMT, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:08:06 +0100, ian field wrote:
>
>> After a lot of faffing about I eventually managed to con the PC into
>> formatting the USB stick by pulling it out and putting it straight back
>> in (without clicking eject) and typing Format/u H: in command line.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone knew why XP-SP3 was giving me all this
>> aggravation for no good reason?!
>>
>> Format/U H: in command line was the last resort after trying
>> *EVERYTHING* else, and even that didn't work until I tried interrupting
>> the USB mounted.

>You have to format the Cee drive first, before you can format an H drive.
>
>Silly n00b.

Now I know you are an idiot. And a troll.

Tim Conway

"Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:08:06 +0100, ian field wrote:
>
>> After a lot of faffing about I eventually managed to con the PC into
>> formatting the USB stick by pulling it out and putting it straight back
>> in (without clicking eject) and typing Format/u H: in command line.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone knew why XP-SP3 was giving me all this
>> aggravation for no good reason?!
>>
>> Format/U H: in command line was the last resort after trying
>> *EVERYTHING* else, and even that didn't work until I tried interrupting
>> the USB mounted.

> You have to format the Cee drive first, before you can format an H drive.
>
> Silly n00b.

He thinks formatting the C drive will cure a hemorrhoid. And even bring
about world peace?

NotMe

"ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fE3qo.22673$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> After a lot of faffing about I eventually managed to con the PC into
> formatting the USB stick by pulling it out and putting it straight back in
> (without clicking eject) and typing Format/u H: in command line.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew why XP-SP3 was giving me all this
> aggravation for no good reason?!
>
> Format/U H: in command line was the last resort after trying *EVERYTHING*
> else, and even that didn't work until I tried interrupting the USB
> mounted.

Might try SwissKnief (free verison)
http://download.cnet.com/SwissKnife/...-10389770.html

I've been playing with it and so far so good.

chuckcar

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 03 Oct 2010 22:55:11 GMT, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Silly n00b.

> Now I know you are an idiot. And a troll.

What took you so long?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

"ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:fE3qo.22673$(E-Mail Removed)2:

> After a lot of faffing about I eventually managed to con the PC into
> formatting the USB stick by pulling it out and putting it straight
> back in (without clicking eject) and typing Format/u H: in command
> line.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew why XP-SP3 was giving me all this
> aggravation for no good reason?!
>
> Format/U H: in command line was the last resort after trying
> *EVERYTHING* else, and even that didn't work until I tried
> interrupting the USB mounted.

R&R the drivers.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Dan C

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:57:51 -0400, Tim Conway wrote:

> "Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:08:06 +0100, ian field wrote:
>>
>>> After a lot of faffing about I eventually managed to con the PC into
>>> formatting the USB stick by pulling it out and putting it straight
>>> back in (without clicking eject) and typing Format/u H: in command
>>> line.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone knew why XP-SP3 was giving me all this
>>> aggravation for no good reason?!
>>>
>>> Format/U H: in command line was the last resort after trying
>>> *EVERYTHING* else, and even that didn't work until I tried
>>> interrupting the USB mounted.

>> You have to format the Cee drive first, before you can format an H
>> drive.
>>
>> Silly n00b.
>>

> He thinks formatting the C drive will cure a hemorrhoid.

Who does?

> And even bring about world peace?

Quit skipping your remedial English class.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he dropped another white rhino.