Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Smell Of Burning Plastic ...

Smell Of Burning Plastic ...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i8cn8q$trq$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> CRC seems to make them bind after a short time, as does wd40.

When is this supposed to happen? It’s still spinning.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i8cn8q$trq$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> CRC seems to make them bind after a short time, as does wd40.

It started making the noise again last night. But after a few more
sprays of CRC, it went back to spinning smoothly again. So the first
treatment lasted for 29 days.

I don’t know what you meant by “bind”, but it doesn’t seem to be
happening.

If I have to keep treating it once a month like this, I can put up with
that for now.

Peter Huebner

In article <i8dl1u$c6f$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Agreed. CRC is for freeing up 'frozen' parts only, not a lubricant per se.

Agreed, crc and wd40 evaporate pretty quickly. I mostly use rocol mx22 silicone grease on fan
bearings in computers, but I've also used sewing machine oil on noisy fans with good success.

-P.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner
wrote:

> I mostly use rocol mx22 silicone grease on fan bearings in computers ...

I have some CRC 808 silicone. I was a little wary of trying that, but if it
worked for you...

> ... but I've also used sewing machine oil on noisy fans with good success.

Even simpler.