Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NVIDIA GPU LITIGATION

NVIDIA GPU LITIGATION

William Brown

Those Bad laptops that you don't know about

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

I know one HP user that was affected..

David Empson

William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Those Bad laptops that you don't know about
>

> http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/
>

> I know one HP user that was affected..

My previous MacBook Pro (mid 2007 model) was affected: the NVIDIA
GeoForce 8600M GT died when the computer was about 2 years and 11 months
old (in April this year).

Fixed by Apple for free, and very quickly.

I note that the class action settlement only applies in the US. The rest
of the world is out of luck unless the manufacturer of the computer has
a repair extension programme to cover the fault, or it dies within
warranty or extended warranty.

Apple is covering this fault until four years after the computer was
purchased.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

I haven't looked into what Dell and HP are doing.

--
David Empson

William Brown

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 12:34:56 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson)
wrote:

>William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Those Bad laptops that you don't know about
>>

>> http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/
>>

>> I know one HP user that was affected..

>My previous MacBook Pro (mid 2007 model) was affected: the NVIDIA
>GeoForce 8600M GT died when the computer was about 2 years and 11 months
>old (in April this year).
>
>Fixed by Apple for free, and very quickly.
>
>I note that the class action settlement only applies in the US. The rest
>of the world is out of luck unless the manufacturer of the computer has
>a repair extension programme to cover the fault, or it dies within
>warranty or extended warranty.

No its world wide fault and is covered under the CGA..

A known manufacturers fault, goes on for every, no shut off date.

You do not need a extended warranty the CGS covers it.

As you are not allowed to sell faulty products, but customers get conned
all the time.

I took a case to court with a Hitachi Stereo they charged me $160 but
then I found out in a magazine that it was a known fault, got my money
back.

Many many service shops charge people for fixing factory faults, I no as
I have worked for them.

>Apple is covering this fault until four years after the computer was
>purchased.
>
>http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377
>
>I haven't looked into what Dell and HP are doing.

David Empson

William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 12:34:56 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson)
> wrote:
>
> >William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Those Bad laptops that you don't know about
> >>

> >> http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/
> >>

> >> I know one HP user that was affected..

> >My previous MacBook Pro (mid 2007 model) was affected: the NVIDIA
> >GeoForce 8600M GT died when the computer was about 2 years and 11 months
> >old (in April this year).
> >
> >Fixed by Apple for free, and very quickly.
> >
> >I note that the class action settlement only applies in the US. The rest
> >of the world is out of luck unless the manufacturer of the computer has
> >a repair extension programme to cover the fault, or it dies within
> >warranty or extended warranty.

> No its world wide fault and is covered under the CGA..

The class action settlement is for the US only. The fault is certainly
world wide. The CGA only exists in New Zealand, or other countries with
similar laws.

The CGA only applies to consumer purchases, not business purchases, so a
business user with a computer that has this fault in New Zealand is out
of luck, unless they have an extended warranty, or the manufacturer has
a repair extension programme for this fault (as Apple does, currently
for four years from original purchase of the computer).

Even a consumer may be out of luck if the fault occurs more than three
years (say) after purchase, and there is no repair extension. Does the
CGA or a test case define what is a reasonable lifetime for a laptop?

The fault may not occur in every computer with this component, and you
can't get it fixed or reimbursed unless your one fails (under Apple's
repair extension, the NVIDIA class action settlement, or the CGA).

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

William Brown

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:36:04 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson)
wrote:

>William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 12:34:56 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson)
>> wrote:

>> >My previous MacBook Pro (mid 2007 model) was affected: the NVIDIA
>> >GeoForce 8600M GT died when the computer was about 2 years and 11 months
>> >old (in April this year).
>> >
>> >Fixed by Apple for free, and very quickly.
>> >
>> >I note that the class action settlement only applies in the US. The rest
>> >of the world is out of luck unless the manufacturer of the computer has
>> >a repair extension programme to cover the fault, or it dies within
>> >warranty or extended warranty.

>> No its world wide fault and is covered under the CGA..

>The class action settlement is for the US only. The fault is certainly
>world wide. The CGA only exists in New Zealand, or other countries with
>similar laws.
>
>The CGA only applies to consumer purchases, not business purchases, so a
>business user with a computer that has this fault in New Zealand is out
>of luck, unless they have an extended warranty,

Utter Crap he is covered by the Sale of goods act, why not get your
facts correct before you post again and make a fool of your self.

>or the manufacturer has
>a repair extension programme for this fault (as Apple does, currently
>for four years from original purchase of the computer).
>
>Even a consumer may be out of luck if the fault occurs more than three
>years (say) after purchase, and there is no repair extension. Does the
>CGA or a test case define what is a reasonable lifetime for a laptop?

Has nothing to do with it you cant sell faulty goods, its a know fault,
I had a Sony camera that was fixed after 5 years, know factory fault,
but most would not know about this as it affected lots of other brands
of cameras, I found in on a UK site with a letter from Sony.

>The fault may not occur in every computer with this component, and you
>can't get it fixed or reimbursed unless your one fails (under Apple's
>repair extension, the NVIDIA class action settlement, or the CGA).

Mike West Mike West is offline
Junior Member

I have a HP Pavilion dv6208nr that i would hope to have re-placed. The screen have been blown-out after owning it for alittle over 1 yr. i have had it in closet to get repaired for some time now. i Purchased another HP Pavilion dv7000 to replace it once i found out that the screen was blown out and from what i have been told by all who have taken a look at it, that the video card was the resone it blew. I will still only purchase Hp products and i love the NVidia brand Video card as an online gamer. I hope my claim is accepted and any others who have had same problems are also. i know 2-3 others who have had the same problem with the card same as i did.. i will re-post once i hear anything and hope others will also.

-Mike