Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > SPA3102 pstn caller display - info

SPA3102 pstn caller display - info

Steve Hayes

Problem: After changing our phone line from BT to a brand-x provider
(using LLU?), the SPA3102 would no longer pick up caller display info for
incoming PSTN calls. (No problem, of course, with incoming VOIP calls).

Discovered by accident: Plugging an old BT Caller Display unit (bought
years ago in a pound shop) into the phone line along with the SPA3102 has
fixed the problem. The phones connected to the FXS port now show the
calling number too and their call-barring is working. Hooray!!!

Hypothesis: UK caller display is sent before the first ring and is
signalled by reversing line polarity. The caller display unit is supposed
to respond to this by drawing a "wetting current". Probably, the SPA3102
isn't doing this. It may not be a firmware issue - perhaps the hardware
is incapable. Maybe BT send the caller display info anyway but the new
provider's switch has to see the wetting current before sending it. The
parallel box is drawing the current so now it works.

Anyone with similar problems in the UK or other countries using the UK
ETSI-PR system might want to try plugging an old box or phone with caller
display (that's confirmed to work on that pstn line) alongside the
SPA3102.

Good luck.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK -- please remove colours from address

alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Steve Hayes
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> Problem: After changing our phone line from BT to a brand-x provider
> (using LLU?), the SPA3102 would no longer pick up caller display info for
> incoming PSTN calls. (No problem, of course, with incoming VOIP calls).
>
> Discovered by accident: Plugging an old BT Caller Display unit (bought
> years ago in a pound shop) into the phone line along with the SPA3102 has
> fixed the problem. The phones connected to the FXS port now show the
> calling number too and their call-barring is working. Hooray!!!
>
> Hypothesis: UK caller display is sent before the first ring and is
> signalled by reversing line polarity. The caller display unit is supposed
> to respond to this by drawing a "wetting current". Probably, the SPA3102
> isn't doing this. It may not be a firmware issue - perhaps the hardware
> is incapable. Maybe BT send the caller display info anyway but the new
> provider's switch has to see the wetting current before sending it. The
> parallel box is drawing the current so now it works.

Interesting question. Perhaps someone in uk.telecom knows the answer?

22:28:07 up 7 days, 4:48, 7 users, load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.01
Qua illic est accuso, illic est a vindicatum

Bodincus

(30/09/10 22:29), alexd:
> Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Steve Hayes
> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> Problem: After changing our phone line from BT to a brand-x provider
>> (using LLU?), the SPA3102 would no longer pick up caller display info for
>> incoming PSTN calls. (No problem, of course, with incoming VOIP calls).
>>
>> Discovered by accident: Plugging an old BT Caller Display unit (bought
>> years ago in a pound shop) into the phone line along with the SPA3102 has
>> fixed the problem. The phones connected to the FXS port now show the
>> calling number too and their call-barring is working. Hooray!!!
>>
>> Hypothesis: UK caller display is sent before the first ring and is
>> signalled by reversing line polarity. The caller display unit is supposed
>> to respond to this by drawing a "wetting current". Probably, the SPA3102
>> isn't doing this. It may not be a firmware issue - perhaps the hardware
>> is incapable. Maybe BT send the caller display info anyway but the new
>> provider's switch has to see the wetting current before sending it. The
>> parallel box is drawing the current so now it works.

> Interesting question. Perhaps someone in uk.telecom knows the answer?

Could be the brand-x provider in LLU is not using BT's CallerID standard
by default, but the system reverted to the BT standard when it sensed
the BT Caller Display unit.

I would remove the BT phone AND the SPA, wait some time, reconnect only
the SPA and try a different option for all country-related settings.

Try asking the provider to know how they provide CallerID: I know
VirginMedia is using different systems in different areas.

See http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm#Q_6 .

Cheers
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************

Graham.

"Steve Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:i82e3l$166j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Problem: After changing our phone line from BT to a brand-x provider
> (using LLU?), the SPA3102 would no longer pick up caller display info for
> incoming PSTN calls. (No problem, of course, with incoming VOIP calls).
>
> Discovered by accident: Plugging an old BT Caller Display unit (bought
> years ago in a pound shop) into the phone line along with the SPA3102 has
> fixed the problem. The phones connected to the FXS port now show the
> calling number too and their call-barring is working. Hooray!!!
>
> Hypothesis: UK caller display is sent before the first ring and is
> signalled by reversing line polarity. The caller display unit is supposed
> to respond to this by drawing a "wetting current". Probably, the SPA3102
> isn't doing this. It may not be a firmware issue - perhaps the hardware
> is incapable. Maybe BT send the caller display info anyway but the new
> provider's switch has to see the wetting current before sending it. The
> parallel box is drawing the current so now it works.
>
> Anyone with similar problems in the UK or other countries using the UK
> ETSI-PR system might want to try plugging an old box or phone with caller
> display (that's confirmed to work on that pstn line) alongside the
> SPA3102.
>
> Good luck.

Intresting effect you have discovered there, I dont think I have seen anything
quite like it.
You might like to try reversing the polarity of the BT line and see if the SPA can
detect the CLI without help.

One thing you have to look our for with those little BT display
units is that they have message waiting checking. If you use it in parrellel
with another device that checks for messages (perhaps the SPA) they
tend to trigger each other and they can take turns going off hook every few seconds.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Steve Hayes

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:42:02 +0100, Bodincus wrote:

> (30/09/10 22:29), alexd:
>> Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Steve
>> Hayes chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>>
>>> Problem: After changing our phone line from BT to a brand-x provider
>>> (using LLU?), the SPA3102 would no longer pick up caller display info
>>> for incoming PSTN calls. (No problem, of course, with incoming VOIP
>>> calls).
>>>
>>> Discovered by accident: Plugging an old BT Caller Display unit (bought
>>> years ago in a pound shop) into the phone line along with the SPA3102
>>> has fixed the problem. The phones connected to the FXS port now show
>>> the calling number too and their call-barring is working. Hooray!!!
>>>
>>> Hypothesis: UK caller display is sent before the first ring and is
>>> signalled by reversing line polarity. The caller display unit is
>>> supposed to respond to this by drawing a "wetting current". Probably,
>>> the SPA3102 isn't doing this. It may not be a firmware issue - perhaps
>>> the hardware is incapable. Maybe BT send the caller display info
>>> anyway but the new provider's switch has to see the wetting current
>>> before sending it. The parallel box is drawing the current so now it
>>> works.

>> Interesting question. Perhaps someone in uk.telecom knows the answer?
>>

> Could be the brand-x provider in LLU is not using BT's CallerID standard
> by default, but the system reverted to the BT standard when it sensed
> the BT Caller Display unit.
>
> I would remove the BT phone AND the SPA, wait some time, reconnect only
> the SPA and try a different option for all country-related settings.
>
> Try asking the provider to know how they provide CallerID: I know
> VirginMedia is using different systems in different areas.
>
> See http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm#Q_6 .
>
> Cheers

Been away so this is my first chance to fill in the gaps.

As I understand it, the CallerID option settings on the SPA3102 only
affect the format that it sends to the connected phone. The SPA3102
should accept any of a number of different formats that might appear on
the PSTN line when there is an incoming call and these are unaffected by
the settings. This is something I could confirm by feeding the PSTN input
on the SPA3102 from another ATA and varying the settings on that ATA -
maybe one day when I've nothing better to do...

Assuming this is true, the SPA3102 would have worked fine if the exchange
was defaulting to Bellcore or ETSI - but it didn't.

I'd more or less given up on getting the SPA3102 to detect Caller ID
after trying all different settings and such things as reversing the line
polarity so I'm very pleased to have accidentally found the work-around I
described. A certain unwanted caller may not be as pleased though.

Googling shows that other people have had similar problems, e.g. in India
and I hope the same trick might work for them.

Maybe there's a setting for message waiting on the SPA3102 (there are so
many of them) but, if so, it isn't enabled and I haven't seen any problem
with it fighting with the caller display unit.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK - remove colours from address