Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: lousy cellphone needs cable

Re: lousy cellphone needs cable

Mike Easter

snuhwolf wrote:
> Ok so I'm like usin dads celly cause its got a camera so I can take piccys of
> my bike & junk but it needs a speshul cable just to talk to the PC. I wonder if
> theres any other way to get the piccys off the phone?
> Its an LG 4400.

Search reveals some surprising information...ie Radio Shack sells a
product for that modelno which is incorrect, doesn't work as marketed.

http://www.rogerbinns.com/vx4400/vx4400faq.html LG VX4400 Frequently
Asked Questions (FAQ) -

<q> There are two types of data cable available. Both plug into the USB
port on your computer. The connector on the other end is identical, but
on one of the cables connects to the phones internal serial interface,
and on the other connects to the phone's internal USB interface.

The internal serial interface is the same as used by earlier LG phones,
specifically the VX-1 and VX-10, so if you already have one of those
cables you can reuse it.

The serial based cable has a builtin chip that converts USB to serial
whereas the straight USB cable has no conversion. Both cables cost $20
at Radio Shack and are manufactured by Future Dial.

DO NOT PURCHASE A STRAIGHT USB CABLE unless you really know what you are
doing. There is an issue with the internal interface on the phone that
makes it useless with any of the software for syncing your phone. This
issue does not affect the USB to serial cable.

You can read more about cables and drivers in the BitPim online help. </q>

http://www.bitpim.org/help/
FutureDial Straight USB DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CABLE - Available at
RadioShack as catalog# 17-789 marked as for LG 5350 and VX4400.
FutureDial USB to serial - Available at RadioShack as catalog# 17-783
marked as for LG VX1/VX10.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

snuhwolf wrote:
> Mike Easter
>> snuhwolf wrote:

>>> it needs a speshul cable just to talk to the PC.

>> You can read more about cables and drivers in the BitPim online help.

> figures...
>
> ive got bitpim installed on the laptop & it shows the cable.
> 20$!!! wotta ripoff...

Apparently it is common practice for camera makers to come up with
bright ideas that often require proprietary cables.

Mine came with such a cable as part of the package.

Whatever you are using for a newsagent mangles the/my citation into ugly
shortlines, which is avoided by an agent which supports format=flowed.

--
Mike Easter

hwf

Mike Easter wrote:
> snuhwolf wrote:
>> Mike Easter

>>> You can read more about cables and drivers in the BitPim online help.

>> figures...
>>
>> ive got bitpim installed on the laptop & it shows the cable.
>> 20$!!! wotta ripoff...

> Apparently it is common practice for camera makers to come up with
> bright ideas that often require proprietary cables.
>
> Mine came with such a cable as part of the package.

I have a charger for it which is a wall wart and usb cable. But it lacks
the serial-to-usb chip in the middle.

> Whatever you are using for a newsagent mangles the/my citation into ugly
> shortlines, which is avoided by an agent which supports format=flowed.

Hmmm...old hacked version of Xnews called "punkonews".

Mike Easter

snuhwolf wrote:

> Mike Easter wrote:

>> Whatever you are using for a newsagent mangles the/my citation into
>> ugly shortlines, which is avoided by an agent which supports
>> format=flowed.

The/Your f=f Tb 2 does much much better.

> Hmmm...old hacked version of Xnews called "punkonews".

I hear that the opensource Haiku is releasing a BeOS derivative.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_(operating_system) Haiku is a free
and open source operating system compatible with BeOS ... first alpha
release in September 2009 and the second in May 2010.

--
Mike Easter