Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Game Programming

Game Programming

Upul Seneviratne

any one knows game programming, with java?

RedGrittyBrick

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=java+games+programming

--
RGB

BGB / cr88192

"Upul Seneviratne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> any one knows game programming, with java?

well, I know some about game-programming in Java, although I have not done
so (most of my games related experience is in C and C++, and most Java
experience is not related to games).

that said, usually one will use wrappers to gain a more capable interface
for games-dev, for example, LWJGL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lwjgl

for example, the above was used in making Minecraft.

or such...

sulai

Am 29.09.2010 11:21, Upul Seneviratne:
> any one knows game programming, with java?

For 2D games, Slick2D is a good start. It's based on lwjgl.

Roedy Green

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 02:21:33 -0700 (PDT), Upul Seneviratne
said :

>any one knows game programming, with java?

one of the things you might want to study is VolatileImage see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/volatileimage.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

You encapsulate not just to save typing, but more importantly, to make it easy and safe to change the code later, since you then need change the logic in only one place. Without it, you might fail to change the logic in all the places it occurs.

BGB / cr88192

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:18:27 -0700, "BGB / cr88192"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Upul Seneviratne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> any one knows game programming, with java?

>>well, I know some about game-programming in Java, although I have not done
>>so (most of my games related experience is in C and C++, and most Java
>>experience is not related to games).
>>
>>that said, usually one will use wrappers to gain a more capable interface
>>for games-dev, for example, LWJGL:
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lwjgl
>>
>>for example, the above was used in making Minecraft.

> However Minecraft seems to run /very/ slowly.

depends on the system...

part of the issue seems to be that it also draws "teh crapload" of geometry,
and so actually bogs down the GPU (especially lower-end Intel GPU's...).