Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > world's dumbest transportation idea?

world's dumbest transportation idea?

richard

http://shweeb.co.nz/Shweeb/what-is-t...ID=12883_.html

http://tinyurl.com/28fu7fk

From the "you've got to be joking" department comes this brilliant
brainstorm which actually got google to give them a million dollars for the
project.

Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?

Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
to fit the groceries inside and you as well?

But if google is willing to toss away money like that, then I've got a
couple of ideas they can help finance. Both would be of benefit to the
transportation department. And both items would be built and used right
here in the states.

Mike Easter

richard wrote:

> Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
> chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
>
> Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
> to fit the groceries inside and you as well?

It is a 'ride' - recreational - not public transportation. And you pay
$35-45 .nz depending on your age, which ain't cheap ($25-33 US current
exchange).

Apparently the speed is great, considering low 'rolling' resistance and
7 gear recumbent cycle configuration, and the view is great and the
corners are 'slick', swinging out on the suspension point, so you don't
have to slow down for that.

I suppose/ would hope/ the price is per 'cab' so you could split the
ride/cab fare between up to 4 people, which would make it more
economical. Otherwise it is too expensive for my taste.

--
Mike Easter

richard

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:19:27 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> richard wrote:
>
>> Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
>> chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
>>
>> Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
>> to fit the groceries inside and you as well?

> It is a 'ride' - recreational - not public transportation. And you pay
> $35-45 .nz depending on your age, which ain't cheap ($25-33 US current
> exchange).
>
> Apparently the speed is great, considering low 'rolling' resistance and
> 7 gear recumbent cycle configuration, and the view is great and the
> corners are 'slick', swinging out on the suspension point, so you don't
> have to slow down for that.
>
> I suppose/ would hope/ the price is per 'cab' so you could split the
> ride/cab fare between up to 4 people, which would make it more
> economical. Otherwise it is too expensive for my taste.

I got the idea they were touting it off as real transportation.
As a ride at an amusement park, maybe.

Kings Island in Ohio had "The Bat" which was a suspended rail coaster.
I got to ride it once and actually enjoyed the damn thing. But they had a
major problem with it and had to shut it down.

Mike Yetto

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:19:27 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

>> richard wrote:
>>
>>> Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
>>> chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
>>>
>>> Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
>>> to fit the groceries inside and you as well?

>> It is a 'ride' - recreational - not public transportation. And you pay
>> $35-45 .nz depending on your age, which ain't cheap ($25-33 US current
>> exchange).
>>

>I got the idea they were touting it off as real transportation.
>As a ride at an amusement park, maybe.

You really should do more than just look at the pictures, even if
that got you through high school.

Mike "several thousand of *your* words" Yetto
--
"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free
government ought to be to trust no man living with power to

philo

On 09/27/2010 12:58 PM, richard wrote:
> http://shweeb.co.nz/Shweeb/what-is-t...ID=12883_.html
>
> http://tinyurl.com/28fu7fk
>
> From the "you've got to be joking" department comes this brilliant
> brainstorm which actually got google to give them a million dollars for the
> project.
>
> Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
> chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
>
> Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
> to fit the groceries inside and you as well?
>
> But if google is willing to toss away money like that, then I've got a
> couple of ideas they can help finance. Both would be of benefit to the
> transportation department. And both items would be built and used right
> here in the states.

Yeah\
they had those things when I was a kid

took one to the moon once

it was kind of fun

joevan

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:19:27 -0700, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>richard wrote:
>
>> Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed glass
>> chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
>>
>> Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and trying
>> to fit the groceries inside and you as well?

>It is a 'ride' - recreational - not public transportation. And you pay
>$35-45 .nz depending on your age, which ain't cheap ($25-33 US current
>exchange).
>
>Apparently the speed is great, considering low 'rolling' resistance and
>7 gear recumbent cycle configuration, and the view is great and the
>corners are 'slick', swinging out on the suspension point, so you don't
>have to slow down for that.
>
>I suppose/ would hope/ the price is per 'cab' so you could split the
>ride/cab fare between up to 4 people, which would make it more
>economical. Otherwise it is too expensive for my taste.

It looks like a lot of fun. Wouldn't mind taking it for a spin once
anyway.

chuckcar

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> http://shweeb.co.nz/Shweeb/what-is-t...2185_ID=12883_.
> html
>
> http://tinyurl.com/28fu7fk
>
> From the "you've got to be joking" department comes this brilliant
> brainstorm which actually got google to give them a million dollars
> for the project.
>
> Really. Would you be willing to pay money to sit inside an enclosed
> glass chamber that hangs from a rail? Which is powered by YOU?
>
> Can you imagine riding this thing to a supermarket, stocking up and
> trying to fit the groceries inside and you as well?
>
> But if google is willing to toss away money like that, then I've got a
> couple of ideas they can help finance. Both would be of benefit to the
> transportation department. And both items would be built and used
> right here in the states.

There's nothing new about monorails. No ones used them since expo '67.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckTard wrote:

> There's nothing new about monorails. No ones used them since expo '67.

...except ... today? Don't get out much, do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Di...onorail_System
150,000 people per day.

http://www.monorails.org/

--
-bts
-expecting a silly metaphor in reply

Desk Rabbit

On 27/09/2010 21:19, Mike Yetto wrote:
> richard<(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.

>>> It is a 'ride' - recreational - not public transportation. And you pay
>>> $35-45 .nz depending on your age, which ain't cheap ($25-33 US current
>>> exchange).
>>>

>> I got the idea they were touting it off as real transportation.
>> As a ride at an amusement park, maybe.

> You really should do more than just look at the pictures, even if
> that got you through high school.

Words from the site:

"Shweeb will soon announce the location where we will build the first
transit Shweeb for public use!"

Mike Easter

Desk Rabbit wrote:

> Words from the site:
>
> "Shweeb will soon announce the location where we will build the first
> transit Shweeb for public use!"

The recreational ride in Rotorua which opened in 2007 was based on the
inventor's bright ideas that involved cyclist efficiency.

Google's 10^100 project (ideas to change the world by helping as many
people as possible) came along in 2008 which led to the googlefunding.

The public transport ideas are linked to the inventor's good concepts,
but of course are not exactly going to turn out just like the
recreational ride. There are a lot of good public transport concepts
expressed on the technology part of the website.

http://shweeb.co.nz/Shweeb/technolog...ID=13165_.html
Shweeb technology
Aerodynamics
Towers and Spans