Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Column: Implement WPA2-Personal wireless security

Column: Implement WPA2-Personal wireless security

=?Utf-8?B?a2g=?=

New Column: Implement WPA2-Personal wireless security on a Windows XP
SP2-based computer

Columnist Barb Bowman introduces you to WPA2 and explains how to implement
WPA2-Personal wireless security on your Windows XP SP2–based computers.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssecurity.mspx

Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

Kristen Heller
Site Manager, vendor [MS}

=?Utf-8?B?S2F5bWFu?=

I wish to implement WPA2-Personal wireless security but am unable downloading
KB893357 - Error Message: Setup Error "Failed to migrate depended packages".

I am not very technical...Grateful for any assistance to get my computer
security up to speed, thanks.

System Information:-

Platform: OS Microsoft Win32 XPPro Version 5.12600 SP2 Build 2600
Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2400Mhz, Pentium4
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.0.2900.2180, Total Physical Memory 512MB
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019),
XP Hotfixes and Security Updates are current, (automatically
downloaded/installed).

TRENDnet (TEW-229UB) Wireless 11Mbps 802.11b USB Adapter.

FireWall(s): ZoneAlarm v6.0.667.000 (Free Edition), Windows F/W (disabled).

Residence/On-Demand Anti-Virus Anti-Spy, Malware
detectors,scanners,removers,engines:-

eTrust EZ AntiVirus v7.0.8.0, M/S AntiSpyWare (Beta), BitDefender v8 Free
Edition, Ewido SecuritySuite v3.5, A-Squared v1.6, Ad-Aware SE Personal
v1.06r1 with add-on Vx2 cleaner, Spybot S&D v1.4 (incl.Teatimer), Spyware
Doctor v3.2, eScan AntiVirus Toolkit Utility v4.4.7 (powered by Kaspersky),
Multi-Vendor Command Line Scanner utility (Sophos, Trend, McAfee &
Kaspersky), SpywareBlaster v3.4, CrabCleaner v1.23.0.160,
CW Shredder v2.18, WinPatrol v9.7.4.0.

Also:
HOSTS File installed and updated with 'HOSTS Secure' File version:
1.0.2137.3124, HijackThis v1.99.1, X-Ray PC v1.0.0.6, Starter v5.6.1.40,
Autorun v8.12.0.0, Karens Cookie Viewer v3.5.0.6, F-Secure BlackLight Beta
v2.1.1013.0, WindsocksPFix v1.0.0.0, RootKit Revealer v1.55.0.0, Pocket
Killbox v2.0.0.175.

All applications are updated for latest virus definitions and computer is
rebooted before scanning operation is initiated.

"kh" wrote:

> New Column: Implement WPA2-Personal wireless security on a Windows XP
> SP2-based computer
>
> Columnist Barb Bowman introduces you to WPA2 and explains how to implement
> WPA2-Personal wireless security on your Windows XP SP2–based computers.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssecurity.mspx
>
> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> Kristen Heller
> Site Manager, vendor [MS}

Barb Bowman MVP-Windows

for starters, can you boot without the resident programs from the
group below loaded and see if you get the same error?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?S2F5bWFu?=

I informed you wrongly, sorry. The downloading operation went smoothly, but
the INSTALLATION process is not going through as it should be. The 'wizard'
appears and I click as recommended....installation appears to be processing.
However after completion the error message pops up.
I tried again with disabled firewall and antivirus applications but same
result.

"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:

> for starters, can you boot without the resident programs from the
> group below loaded and see if you get the same error?
>
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:53:44 -0800, Kayman
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Residence/On-Demand Anti-Virus Anti-Spy, Malware
> >detectors,scanners,removers,engines:-
> >
> >eTrust EZ AntiVirus v7.0.8.0, M/S AntiSpyWare (Beta), BitDefender v8 Free
> >Edition, Ewido SecuritySuite v3.5, A-Squared v1.6, Ad-Aware SE Personal
> >v1.06r1 with add-on Vx2 cleaner, Spybot S&D v1.4 (incl.Teatimer), Spyware
> >Doctor v3.2, eScan AntiVirus Toolkit Utility v4.4.7 (powered by Kaspersky),
> >Multi-Vendor Command Line Scanner utility (Sophos, Trend, McAfee &
> >Kaspersky), SpywareBlaster v3.4, CrabCleaner v1.23.0.160,
> >CW Shredder v2.18, WinPatrol v9.7.4.0.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist

Barb Bowman MVP-Windows

I almost think that with all the utilities and gizmos you've installed
or have run that it may be worth it to reset the stack natively in XP
SP2 and try running the update again. disable the scanners and
resident programs first.

Open a cmd prompt (start, run, cmd [enter])

then

netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]

then run the update again

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 06:04:02 -0800, Kayman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I informed you wrongly, sorry. The downloading operation went smoothly, but
>the INSTALLATION process is not going through as it should be. The 'wizard'
>appears and I click as recommended....installation appears to be processing.
>However after completion the error message pops up.
>I tried again with disabled firewall and antivirus applications but same
>result.
>
>"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:
>
>> for starters, can you boot without the resident programs from the
>> group below loaded and see if you get the same error?
>>
>> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:53:44 -0800, Kayman
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Residence/On-Demand Anti-Virus Anti-Spy, Malware
>> >detectors,scanners,removers,engines:-
>> >
>> >eTrust EZ AntiVirus v7.0.8.0, M/S AntiSpyWare (Beta), BitDefender v8 Free
>> >Edition, Ewido SecuritySuite v3.5, A-Squared v1.6, Ad-Aware SE Personal
>> >v1.06r1 with add-on Vx2 cleaner, Spybot S&D v1.4 (incl.Teatimer), Spyware
>> >Doctor v3.2, eScan AntiVirus Toolkit Utility v4.4.7 (powered by Kaspersky),
>> >Multi-Vendor Command Line Scanner utility (Sophos, Trend, McAfee &
>> >Kaspersky), SpywareBlaster v3.4, CrabCleaner v1.23.0.160,
>> >CW Shredder v2.18, WinPatrol v9.7.4.0.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?S2F5bWFu?=

Okay, will consider implementing your recommendations. Thank you very much
for your time and advice.
With best regards,

"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:

> I almost think that with all the utilities and gizmos you've installed
> or have run that it may be worth it to reset the stack natively in XP
> SP2 and try running the update again. disable the scanners and
> resident programs first.
>
> Open a cmd prompt (start, run, cmd [enter])
>
> then
>
> netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
>
> then run the update again
>
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 06:04:02 -0800, Kayman
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I informed you wrongly, sorry. The downloading operation went smoothly, but
> >the INSTALLATION process is not going through as it should be. The 'wizard'
> >appears and I click as recommended....installation appears to be processing.
> >However after completion the error message pops up.
> >I tried again with disabled firewall and antivirus applications but same
> >result.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:
> >
> >> for starters, can you boot without the resident programs from the
> >> group below loaded and see if you get the same error?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?SmltYm8=?=

Thanks for the informative article.

I was able to download the update and I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS router
with WPA2 and also using a 40 byte network key.

I am able to connect to the internet and see my sid listed on the top with
WPA2, but on the bottom when i'm connected, occasionally a message will pop
up and says:

Wireless Network Connection is now connected

Signal to: Stan (unsecured)
Signal Strength: Excellent

Why would this be shown as unsecured if in the display it shows WPA2? I'm
using a Dell Inspiron 6000 with built in Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG
card/drivers.

"kh" wrote:

> New Column: Implement WPA2-Personal wireless security on a Windows XP
> SP2-based computer
>
> Columnist Barb Bowman introduces you to WPA2 and explains how to implement
> WPA2-Personal wireless security on your Windows XP SP2–based computers.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssecurity.mspx
>
> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> Kristen Heller
> Site Manager, vendor [MS}

Barb Bowman MVP-Windows

It's unclear to me if you've setup the router to use WPA2? A 40 byte
network key implies (to me) that you are using WEP 64 bit open. You
would need to configure the Linksys for WPA2-PSK and select a
passphrase and also have the proper drivers for the Intel card to
support WPA2-PSK. According to
http://www.intel.com/network/connect...ess_mobile.htm,
the 2200 b.\/g is WPA only and not WPA2.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?SmltYm8=?=

The Intel drivers have recently been updated see the below link:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...roductID=1784/

"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:

> It's unclear to me if you've setup the router to use WPA2? A 40 byte
> network key implies (to me) that you are using WEP 64 bit open. You
> would need to configure the Linksys for WPA2-PSK and select a
> passphrase and also have the proper drivers for the Intel card to
> support WPA2-PSK. According to
> http://www.intel.com/network/connect...ess_mobile.htm,
> the 2200 b.\/g is WPA only and not WPA2.
>
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:20:04 -0800, "Jimbo"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the informative article.
> >
> >I was able to download the update and I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS router
> >with WPA2 and also using a 40 byte network key.
> >
> >I am able to connect to the internet and see my sid listed on the top with
> >WPA2, but on the bottom when i'm connected, occasionally a message will pop
> >up and says:
> >
> >Wireless Network Connection is now connected
> >
> >Signal to: Stan (unsecured)
> >Signal Strength: Excellent
> >
> >Why would this be shown as unsecured if in the display it shows WPA2? I'm
> >using a Dell Inspiron 6000 with built in Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG
> >card/drivers.
> >
> >"kh" wrote:
> >
> >> New Column: Implement WPA2-Personal wireless security on a Windows XP
> >> SP2-based computer
> >>
> >> Columnist Barb Bowman introduces you to WPA2 and explains how to implement
> >> WPA2-Personal wireless security on your Windows XP SP2–based computers.
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssecurity.mspx
> >>
> >> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.
> >>
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kristen Heller
> >> Site Manager, vendor [MS}
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?SmltYm8=?=

Just to clarify a few more things:

1) I am not using the software froom Intel. I've setup Windows as WPA2-PSK
TKIP and with a key.

2) The router firmware has been setup with WPA2 - personel with the same key.