Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How Can I Prevent My Windows Messenger Password From Being Recorded?

How Can I Prevent My Windows Messenger Password From Being Recorded?

Internet Highway Traveler

Hello,

My OS is XP Pro SP3.

I use an old Windows Messenger; the version is 4.7.3001. I have no plans to
upgrade it.

I recently ran the command "Control Userpasswords2" (w/o quotation marks)
and noted that my Messenger password was displayed in User Accounts ...
Advanced ... Manage Passwords ... Stored User Names and Passwords.

Is there any way that I can log into my messenger without my password being
recorded in the above Stored User Names and Passwords?

Thank you!

IHT

horse

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:31:16 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 02:14:45 -0400, "Internet Highway Traveler"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>My OS is XP Pro SP3.
>>
>>I use an old Windows Messenger; the version is 4.7.3001. I have no plans to
>>upgrade it.

> Why not?
>
>>I recently ran the command "Control Userpasswords2" (w/o quotation marks)
>>and noted that my Messenger password was displayed in User Accounts ...
>>Advanced ... Manage Passwords ... Stored User Names and Passwords.
>>
>>Is there any way that I can log into my messenger without my password being
>>recorded in the above Stored User Names and Passwords?

> Just a thought... Log out of Messenger. Go into userpasswords2. Remove
> password. Exit. Load Messenger. Does Messenger give you an option to
> uncheck of something like "Store my password" or "Automatically log me
> on?"
>
> Disable those.

I just love this guy. He obviously doesn't even use the program and he's
trying to advise someone how to fix the problem. That's kind of like a 10
year old telling Tiger Woods how to improve his game.

Internet Highway Traveler

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 02:14:45 -0400, "Internet Highway Traveler"
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
| >Hello,
| >
| >My OS is XP Pro SP3.
| >
| >I use an old Windows Messenger; the version is 4.7.3001. I have no plans
| >upgrade it.
|
| Why not?
|
| >I recently ran the command "Control Userpasswords2" (w/o quotation marks)
| >and noted that my Messenger password was displayed in User Accounts ...
| >Advanced ... Manage Passwords ... Stored User Names and Passwords.
| >
| >Is there any way that I can log into my messenger without my password
being
| >recorded in the above Stored User Names and Passwords?
|
| Just a thought... Log out of Messenger. Go into userpasswords2. Remove
| password. Exit. Load Messenger. Does Messenger give you an option to
| uncheck of something like "Store my password" or "Automatically log me
| on?"
|
| Disable those.
| --
| To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
address.

Evan,

I deleted my password prior to posting.

When I am about to log into Messenger, there is a box immediately left of
"Sign me in automatically". I never checkmark it.

Though unchecked, once I enter my password to log-in, that password is
nevertheless recorded as described below.

In terms of "Why not?", I see no need to upgrade. The version that I have
provides what I require.

Regards,

IHT

richard

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 03:01:39 -0400, Internet Highway Traveler wrote:

> "Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 02:14:45 -0400, "Internet Highway Traveler"
>| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>|
>|>Hello,
>|>
>|>My OS is XP Pro SP3.
>|>
>|>I use an old Windows Messenger; the version is 4.7.3001. I have no plans
>|>upgrade it.
>|
>| Why not?
>|
>|>I recently ran the command "Control Userpasswords2" (w/o quotation marks)
>|>and noted that my Messenger password was displayed in User Accounts ...
>|>Advanced ... Manage Passwords ... Stored User Names and Passwords.
>|>
>|>Is there any way that I can log into my messenger without my password
> being
>|>recorded in the above Stored User Names and Passwords?
>|
>| Just a thought... Log out of Messenger. Go into userpasswords2. Remove
>| password. Exit. Load Messenger. Does Messenger give you an option to
>| uncheck of something like "Store my password" or "Automatically log me
>| on?"
>|
>| Disable those.
>| --
>| To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
> address.
>

> Evan,
>
> I deleted my password prior to posting.
>
> When I am about to log into Messenger, there is a box immediately left of
> "Sign me in automatically". I never checkmark it.
>
> Though unchecked, once I enter my password to log-in, that password is
> nevertheless recorded as described below.
>
> In terms of "Why not?", I see no need to upgrade. The version that I have
> provides what I require.
>
> Regards,
>
> IHT

Forgive Evan. He likes to be helpful by guessing a lot.
If you don't want to upgrade, that's your business.
personally, I don't bother with any of the messenger programs. what can
they do that email can't? Respond quicker? wow.

I know a few people who still use windows 3.1. A couple around here and
elsewhere even still use a commodore 64. So don't worry about it. If you're
happy the way things are, that's all that matters.

As for your problem, I wouldn't worry about it much. As you do need to log
in in order to acess where that password is shown right? The only way
someone could know it is if they were looking over your shoulder.

VanguardLH

Internet Highway Traveler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My OS is XP Pro SP3.
>
> I use an old Windows Messenger; the version is 4.7.3001. I have no plans to
> upgrade it.
>
> I recently ran the command "Control Userpasswords2" (w/o quotation marks)
> and noted that my Messenger password was displayed in User Accounts ...
> Advanced ... Manage Passwords ... Stored User Names and Passwords.
>
> Is there any way that I can log into my messenger without my password being
> recorded in the above Stored User Names and Passwords?
>
> Thank you!
>
> IHT

That password is stored encrypted in the registry using the crypto key
assigned to your assigned which is also hashed in the registry for your
Windows account. No one else on that computer will be able to use that
encrypted stored password UNLESS you leave the computer running
unlocked. If you don't use a screen saver that is password locked, or
lock the workstation when you leave it momentarily or for long periods,
or don't bother using a password on your account (so anyone can just
boot the computer to go into your account) then you tossed away the
security afforded by the Windows login.

hwf

horse wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:31:16 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 02:14:45 -0400, "Internet Highway Traveler"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> My OS is XP Pro SP3.
>>>
>>> I use an old Windows Messenger; the version is 4.7.3001. I have no plans to
>>> upgrade it.

>> Why not?
>>
>>> I recently ran the command "Control Userpasswords2" (w/o quotation marks)
>>> and noted that my Messenger password was displayed in User Accounts ...
>>> Advanced ... Manage Passwords ... Stored User Names and Passwords.
>>>
>>> Is there any way that I can log into my messenger without my password being
>>> recorded in the above Stored User Names and Passwords?

>> Just a thought... Log out of Messenger. Go into userpasswords2. Remove
>> password. Exit. Load Messenger. Does Messenger give you an option to
>> uncheck of something like "Store my password" or "Automatically log me
>> on?"
>>
>> Disable those.

> I just love this guy. He obviously doesn't even use the program and he's
> trying to advise someone how to fix the problem. That's kind of like a 10
> year old telling Tiger Woods how to improve his game.

Ackshully a ten year old could have told Tiger Woods how to improve his
game: keep yer dick in yer pants and focus on golf.

<nods>

chuckcar

wrote in news:i7mocm$mk5$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> Hello,
>
> My OS is XP Pro SP3.
>
> I use an old Windows Messenger; the version is 4.7.3001. I have no
> plans to upgrade it.

That could very well be the fix. Stating off the top you're not willing to
get a newer version is quite limiting in respect.

> I recently ran the command "Control Userpasswords2" (w/o quotation
> marks) and noted that my Messenger password was displayed in User
> Accounts ... Advanced ... Manage Passwords ... Stored User Names and
> Passwords.
>
> Is there any way that I can log into my messenger without my password
> being recorded in the above Stored User Names and Passwords?

Why does it worry you? Perhaps passwording your computer itself to prevent
anyone else using it is warrented.

Ignore Evan, he can't even get a job as a security guard, never mind knowing
anything about fixing computer problems.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i7nnbh$pr4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> horse wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:31:16 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

>>> Why not?

>>> Just a thought... Log out of Messenger. Go into userpasswords2.
>>> Remove password. Exit. Load Messenger. Does Messenger give you an
>>> option to uncheck of something like "Store my password" or
>>> "Automatically log me on?"
>>>
>>> Disable those.

>> I just love this guy. He obviously doesn't even use the program and
>> he's trying to advise someone how to fix the problem. That's kind of
>> like a 10 year old telling Tiger Woods how to improve his game.

> Ackshully a ten year old could have told Tiger Woods how to improve
> his game: keep yer dick in yer pants and focus on golf.

For one thing, that wasn't a problem. The other thing is, Tiger woods
wasn't having computer problems.

His game *did* get bad for a while - the first day of his first
tournament after the divorce was announced.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

horse

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:33:48 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:11:47 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Ignore Evan, he can't even get a job as a security guard, never mind knowing
>>anything about fixing computer problems.

> LOL, I work full time for a hardware manufacturer - one of the
> largest in what we do in the world. I'd even bet if you have more than
> one computer, you have our hardware in at least one of them.
>
> Where do you work, chucktard? Or are you a 13 year old troll living in
> your mommy's basement?
>
> Do I even need to quote some of your greatest hits to prove you're
> either a troll, or clueless - or both?
>
> Idiot.

So you would be the janitor then right? I'll bet your company's
receptionist is a genius with computers too.

Dan C

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:33:48 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:11:47 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Ignore Evan, he can't even get a job as a security guard, never mind
>>knowing anything about fixing computer problems.

> LOL, I work full time for a hardware manufacturer - one of the largest
> in what we do in the world. I'd even bet if you have more than one
> computer, you have our hardware in at least one of them.
>
> Where do you work, chucktard? Or are you a 13 year old troll living in
> your mommy's basement?
>
> Do I even need to quote some of your greatest hits to prove you're
> either a troll, or clueless - or both?

Well, at least everyone here can be very sure as to what *you* are. An
obsessed, delusional stalker.

> Idiot.

Yeah, that too.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as a vole stole his honey