Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Linux software to randomize PC hostname & wireless MAC for privacyat hotspots

Linux software to randomize PC hostname & wireless MAC for privacyat hotspots

Chris Davies

Bit Twister <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> which can lead to the fact that you can create a
> /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-exit-hooks script. That is where I would try to
> put code to munge your MAC address.

No - this is too late: by then you've posted your MAC and received a
DHCP response. If you're going to tweak your MAC it should be done no
later than by a file in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/ or a pre-up stanza
in /etc/network/interfaces.

Re setting the hostname, on my (Debian) box it's handled as part
of /etc/init.d/hostname.sh, which is called on system bootup as
/etc/rcS.d/S02hostname.sh. Obviously this may be different for Ubuntu
(I found the relevant script by running this command: grep -l hostname
/etc/init.d/* )

Chris

Chris Davies

Y Knot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The hostname can ONLY be changed (AFAIK) upon reboot anyway [...]

Why on earth should this be the case?
Chris

Bit Twister

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 20:36:41 +0100, Chris Davies wrote:
> Bit Twister <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> which can lead to the fact that you can create a
>> /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-exit-hooks script. That is where I would try to
>> put code to munge your MAC address.

> No - this is too late: by then you've posted your MAC and received a
> DHCP response. If you're going to tweak your MAC it should be done no
> later than by a file in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/ or a pre-up stanza
> in /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> Re setting the hostname, on my (Debian) box it's handled as part
> of /etc/init.d/hostname.sh, which is called on system bootup as
> /etc/rcS.d/S02hostname.sh. Obviously this may be different for Ubuntu
> (I found the relevant script by running this command: grep -l hostname
> /etc/init.d/* )

Yep, ubuntu hostname was not called in /etc/rcS.d/ or /etc/rc2.d/

I hear where you are coming from about dhclient-exit-hooks but you
have to decide if you want mac/hostname changed on startup, shutdown,
or each network restart.

I suggest setting them during shutdown. Major reason would be so next
boot would be pretty clean. You do not want to change host name after
some service/daemon has started with old name. Examples; postfix,
sendmail, leafnode, dovecot,..

Bit Twister

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 05:40:07 +0000 (UTC), Y Knot wrote:

> The hostname can ONLY be changed (AFAIK) upon reboot anyway, so you may

No, you can change it anytime you like, BUT you may lose your gui
desktop access because of name change and you would need to restart
any service/daemons which use the node name.
Examples: mysqld, postfix, sendmail, leafnode, dovecot,..